AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Power Supply and Cord for an Oppo 10x

Caelin,

Background: my front-end components (preamp, phono pre-preamp, tuner and universal player (SACD/DVD-A/redbook CD)) are powered by a Triton/Typhon plugged into a dedicated line. Power cables are all Zitron Anaconda's other than a Zitron Python on the preamp and an Alpha Digital on the universal player.

I am in the process of going from the single box universal player to an Oppo 103 as the transport connecting to a PS Audio Directstream dac. I plan on connecting both of them to the Triton.

Regarding the Oppo: it comes standard with a SMPS, but there is an aftermarket linear power supply available.

1. What are your thoughts about the sonic value of upgrading the power supply for the Oppo to a linear supply?

2. What would expect to be the best sounding Shunyata power cord for this application?

Regarding the PS Audio dac:

3. What would you expect to be the best sounding Shunyata power cord for this application? For now, is it still the Alpha Digital?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedran View Post
Caelin, Background: my front-end components (preamp, phono pre-preamp, tuner and universal player (SACD/DVD-A/redbook CD)) are powered by a Triton/Typhon plugged into a dedicated line. Power cables are all Zitron Anaconda's other than a Zitron Python on the preamp and an Alpha Digital on the universal player. I am in the process of going from the single box universal player to an Oppo 103 as the transport connecting to a PS Audio Directstream dac. I plan on connecting both of them to the Triton. Regarding the Oppo: it comes standard with a SMPS, but there is an aftermarket linear power supply available. 1. What are your thoughts about the sonic value of upgrading the power supply for the Oppo to a linear supply? 2. What would expect to be the best sounding Shunyata power cord for this application? Regarding the PS Audio dac: 3. What would you expect to be the best sounding Shunyata power cord for this application? For now, is it still the Alpha Digital? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Dave
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the upgraded power supply so I can't give an opinion.

The Alpha Digital is a good choice for the DAC.
You may want to try a VENOM Digital on the Oppo before upgrading the power supply.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the upgraded power supply so I can't give an opinion. The Alpha Digital is a good choice for the DAC. You may want to try a VENOM Digital on the Oppo before upgrading the power supply.
Caelin: I'm sampling some WW and other power cables next week (first time upgrading this part of my system) but I'm thinking I'd like to try a Shunyata cable as well. My system is Oppo 105D, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, McIntosh MX 121, and McIntosh MC205. All are powered via a PS Audio P5 power regenerator.

Given that setup, would you recommend the same two power cords for the DAC and the Oppo as you did above?

Thanks! I guess while I'm at it, should I upgrade the PC to the PS Audio P5? If so, recommendations?
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds

Last edited by scirica; 08-04-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Caelin: I'm sampling some WW and other power cables next week (first time upgrading this part of my system) but I'm thinking I'd like to try a Shunyata cable as well. My system is Oppo 105D, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, McIntosh MX 121, and McIntosh MC205. All are powered via a PS Audio P5 power regenerator. Given that setup, would you recommend the same two power cords for the DAC and the Oppo as you did above? Thanks! I guess while I'm at it, should I upgrade the PC to the PS Audio P5? If so, recommendations?
Well if you are doing a shoot out, it would only be fair to compare cables that are similar in price.

Only you can determine what level of performance you want and whether its cost is worth the performace benefit. We all have a different set of musical priorities and what constitutes value.

For example, I have a system of KEF LS50s driven by a Devialet and music server. I am quite content with VENOM HC and Viper power cables. The sound is balanced and musical. While I can get better peformance with more expensive cables I am musically satisfied at this level of performance with set of components.

I also have a system of Magneplanar 20.7s driven by a Constellation amp and Audio Research tube front-end and a Kronos turntable. In this system, while I can appreciate the capabilities of the components with the VENOM HC and Viper cables - I am always aware that the system is not playing up to its potential. With this system, the benefits of the XiTron cables are significant and once you hear the system with these cables, it is very difficult to forget and go back.

RE: PSA Powerplant
I beilieve they make power cords. And if I remember correctly they recommend upgraded power cords for their regenerators. I do own a late generation Powerplant and it does seem to respond well to our power cords. As always, you would want to try it yourself in your system. The Alpha HC would be a good choice but many of our prior generation cords would do nicely. You might find a good used King Cobra CX (great cable) or used XiTron Anaconda at a discount.

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Thanks Caelin! Certainly agree that it's only fair to do a shootout with like-value cables. For the record, I'd like to try some Shunyata cables that would be priced similar to Wireworld Eclipse Silver. My local dealer carries WW and AQ and is going to provide AQ power cables that are priced closest to the WW Silver. What would you suggest that I try from Shunyata for a fair comparison?

Also, from what I've seen only you have power cords that are engineered for specific sources (such as Bluray or DAC) and I find that interesting. In that value category, what would you suggest for the Oppo?

Thanks so much for engaging with us on this forum!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks Caelin! Certainly agree that it's only fair to do a shootout with like-value cables. For the record, I'd like to try some Shunyata cables that would be priced similar to Wireworld Eclipse Silver. My local dealer carries WW and AQ and is going to provide AQ power cables that are priced closest to the WW Silver. What would you suggest that I try from Shunyata for a fair comparison? Also, from what I've seen only you have power cords that are engineered for specific sources (such as Bluray or DAC) and I find that interesting. In that value category, what would you suggest for the Oppo? Thanks so much for engaging with us on this forum!
I don't know what WW cables cost.

The Alpha cables are approximately US$1K but you can compare to cables 2-3 times the price.

If the Oppo is used as a transport you can use the Alpha Digital.

The DAC can use the Digital cable or the HC at a slightly higher cost.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
I don't know what WW cables cost.

The Alpha cables are approximately US$1K but you can compare to cables 2-3 times the price.

If the Oppo is used as a transport you can use the Alpha Digital.

The DAC can use the Digital cable or the HC at a slightly higher cost.
Thanks Caelin for all the insight. Cables I am considering are in the $700 range for 2.0 meter. I'd consider $1000 to be close enough to include in the group for comparison purposes.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Caelin for all the insight. Cables I am considering are in the $700 range for 2.0 meter. I'd consider $1000 to be close enough to include in the group for comparison purposes.
Scirica, I have used the Alpha Digital PC on digital devices ranging from the lowly Sony Playstation III all the way up to PSAudio's Perfect Wave MKII DAC and it is simply the best cord for digital playback that I have ever heard. The sine wave graphs you can find on Shunyata's website reveal the profound effect the cord has. To my ears, it brings even entry level playback to a level of natural effortlessness that I would have thought only possible through an entire component upgrade. This cord goes a long way toward cleaning up the noise that can make digital devices sound, well, *digital.* I suspect your listening sessions will be very educational!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
Scirica, I have used the Alpha Digital PC on digital devices ranging from the lowly Sony Playstation III all the way up to PSAudio's Perfect Wave MKII DAC and it is simply the best cord for digital playback that I have ever heard. The sine wave graphs you can find on Shunyata's website reveal the profound effect the cord has. To my ears, it brings even entry level playback to a level of natural effortlessness that I would have thought only possible through an entire component upgrade. This cord goes a long way toward cleaning up the noise that can make digital devices sound, well, *digital.* I suspect your listening sessions will be very educational!
Thanks. I definitely like what I'm hearing about Shunyata and the application specific pc's they produce. Will probably just buy one outright for the Oppo based on everything I'm hearing!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM

I am a new subscriber of AAficcionado and owner of a Shunyata Guardian Pro 2 with 2 PC Venon 3 and a 20A Diamondback to wall outlet for a system with a Marantz integrated PM11s3 and a ARC CD3. Do you think it would function well?

I also own a hidra 2 with a Venon HC to outlet powering a ARC Pre Amp Ref 2 MK2 with a PC Venon HC and MLevinson Power Amp 334 with a PC PS Audio Statement. Could I have some advice in this Forum?
Thank you all in advance.