AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I'm just trying to have a friendly conversation. If I wanted to "report" you to Ivan, I would have done that.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here of anything, other than they should feel free to make decisions for themselves.
Given our past forum history I find this a little hard to believe. Anyhow, my apologies to the OP for this diversion.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Given our past forum history I find this a little hard to believe.
Yes, harlequin, you like to tell people what to think.
I prefer to help people decide for themselves.
I'm sorry that my preference troubles you so.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Yes, harlequin, you like to tell people what to think.
I prefer to help people decide for themselves.
I'm sorry that my preference troubles you so.
Lol, The Irony , http://www.audioaficionado.org/audio...loading-2.html

That's not like Goldy or Bronzy btw.

I can assure you cleeds, You most certainly do not trouble me in the slightest.

Last edited by Harlequin; 11-22-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Seriously....Whether you favour an agile 4 Lt 911 or a consummately
powerful V12 Bently Continental GT, ditch the factory Sovtek 6550's for circa 1970's GE 6550A's

Neither pre will deliver their full potential otherwise.
Hi Harlequin,

You are the second person I know who has recommended this rectifier tube upgrade so it must be a significant improvement. The other person is also a Ref 10 owner and said he was awestruck by the improvement that the NOS GE 6550 made to his system over the Sovtek 6550. I'll have to eventually give this one a try.

Best,
Ken
Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Could the differences between all of the preamps mentioned (Ref6, Ref 40, Ref10) be so subtle (not night and day differences) that a change in ancillary equipment (source, power amp, tubes) would cancel out any differences between them? Or that one presentation might suit someone's taste in music better? Nothing is perfect after all.

Are we just splitting hairs at this level of performance?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Harlequin,

You are the second person I know who has recommended this rectifier tube upgrade so it must be a significant improvement. The other person is also a Ref 10 owner and said he was awestruck by the improvement that the NOS GE 6550 made to his system over the Sovtek 6550. I'll have to eventually give this one a try.

Best,
Ken
I think I may know of whome you speak Ken, he was intrepid enough to give them a shot following my recommendation elsewhere, knowing his own mind I didn't even have to "tell him what to think"

I do hope that you will experiment for yourself, however It is imperative to source them from a reputable dealer or recommended source , making certain that they have recent test results up to or beyond GE factory specification.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I think I may know of whome you speak Ken, he was intrepid enough to give them a shot following my recommendation elsewhere, knowing his own mind I didn't even have to "tell him what to think"

I do hope that you will experiment for yourself, however It is imperative to source them from a reputable dealer or recommended source , making certain that they have recent test results up to or beyond GE factory specification.
Hi Harlequin,

Thanks for the info!

Best,
Ken
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode12 View Post
Could the differences between all of the preamps mentioned (Ref6, Ref 40, Ref10) be so subtle (not night and day differences) that a change in ancillary equipment (source, power amp, tubes) would cancel out any differences between them? Or that one presentation might suit someone's taste in music better? Nothing is perfect after all.

Are we just splitting hairs at this level of performance?
One's preference always comes down to personal taste but in my opinion, there is a significant difference in sound quality between the Ref 10 and the Ref 6. Wider and deeper soundstage, more holographic imaging, more linear, more refined midrange and treble, increased dynamics and deeper reaching and more robust bass. You certainly could reduce these differences with a change in ancillary equipment but the Ref 10 would also benefit from these same changes.

Ken
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Harlequin,

Best,
Ken
While there may somewhat of a following for the GE 6550, it is not universal, cf. here.

After trying the GE 6550A in the Ref2, Ref2SE, Ref5SE and Ref10, I would rather have an older 6550C ('Winged C') in the power supply. (Fwiw, ARC concurred after listening to the GE tube in a Ref2, circa 2012.) I'm told the more recent batches of 6550Cs are not up to snuff.

But hey, tube rolling is part of owning tube gear, so roll on.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
While there may somewhat of a following for the GE 6550, it is not universal, cf. here.
Indeed, Plenty of interesting feedback on that particular thread, and as you say not universally in favour of the GE's, I would tho consider those adopters in favour of the GE's to still form an notable majority , post#82 is particularly worthy of note.

It is of paramount importance that NOS GE's be obtained from a reputable source with test measurements meeting or exceeding GE specification.
Altho that is still not an infallable guarantee of fidelity once deployed under circuit conditions within ones own equipment.

In the end, whichever flavour of 6550 one rolls with, as long as everyone is pleased with their playback presentation then Vive La Difference !

Last edited by Harlequin; 11-22-2016 at 11:40 AM.