AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 02-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Apparently Parts Connexion carries the gold plated Switchcraft RCA connectors now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Thanks Josh. I'm thinking that's the plan. I'm gonna ad a little of the 20 gauge for the purpose of interconnect, and use Switchcraft RCA's for the ends. This way, they are also ok to try in my Shindo system. Like you mentioned, I'm
gonna stick with the 16 gauge for Crossover. At one point in the future, it would be interesting to try this in place of the A23. Not as easy for me, since my components are on the long wall, and I use a 9 meter A23 SC.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Josh- Yes, SwitchCraft is a new line for them. They are supposed to have the RCA's in next week, and soon after, the 16 Awg should be back in stock. I believe Chris said 2/10 he should have the 16Awg back in stock. I ordered 12 meters of the 16Awg. I figure to use 4 meters just for my 4 runs from crossover to the pair of woofers and pair of horns. Then I will use another 2.5-3.0 meters on my Croft/Harbeth system. If it betters the A23 there, it may force my hand to try some from my Shindo amp > XO. I'm gonna try at least 1.0 meter of the 20Awg, and get 8 SWITCHCRAFT RCA's to make the SE Interconnect. I have a local friend who is very skilled at this, and is willing to do the termination for me. I just don't have the training to trust myself. I should look in to Banana's for the speaker cable, but perhaps it's best to try it (as bare wire) first. If it doesn't trump the A23 with the Harbeths, I may eventually part with it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM

I have read through most of this thread and will study it some more. This is probably the most info I have seen on the mast_mutter crossover, so thought I would ask my questions here.

I have a set of 846A Valencias. Cabs aren't pretty, but everything functions well. 416s have been reconed and they are using the original divers and XOs. I have three systems in my house and some extra speakers, and despite their faults, the Vals are mine and my soon-to-be wife's favorite and would be the last I sold.

I am about to purchase a new house, so they will be getting a new listening room, but I am ready to start some upgrades on them.

Refinishing the cabs is an obvious one. Currently one is the U model and one is the normal A. So one has poor veneer and one has none. I am sure it will be a challenge to remove the old veneer on the one, perhaps I should consider just building new cabs.

Replacing the XOs is the other thing. I have read about everything there is to read on these I think. Couple seemingly very well regarded options are the crossovers built by Zilch (RIP), which mimic the Model 19 and the mast_mutter crossover, which some of you here have. I would kind of like to buy and optimized solution so I know I don't screw anything up. I have never built any XOs, don't have proper equipment to measure everything and don't claim to have to best ears to fine tune it. Another question is would the MM crossover work okay with the 16 ohm 902s?: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/902series.pdf I understand these offer extended HF from my 806s (mostly from reading Zilches work). The adjustable rolloff from the MM XO, about what frequency range is it?

I built some tables to raise them 12" off the floor, but currently have them sitting directly on the floor. My listening chair is pretty low and this seems to work okay. We will see when I get to the new room.

I am running the Altecs with an AR table built by George Merrill, Mac MX110 and MC225. My only complaints are not really low bass or extended highs, some graininess and they get congested or distorted when played loud with some music.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on my ramblings!

-Bart
Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 PM

A lot of things in here but I'll take on the cabinet and crossovers...

You could simply re-veneer the cabs. I've never veneered before but I think would be pretty straightforward. There are different techniques: vacuum, hide glue, adhesive backed veneer, tape, etc. Probably not too hard to do. I'd love to learn more... Problem is stock 5-6 cubic feet will lose about an octave off the bottom end versus 9-12 cubic feet ported cabs. The Altec loudspeaker guides I have linked in the thread will have a table for you to determine the new port size. So if you want much energy before 60Hz you'd have to do cabinets...and still probably have to veneer.

For crossover, personally i'd learn to solder and just make a pair of nice N-800-F factory crossovers with good parts. For each crossover you need: 10 uF cap, 3.9-4uF cap, 2x 3.5mH inductors, and a 16 ohm L-pad. I can provide a lot more info here if interested. Alternatively, you could do the Mast Mutter x-overs which use an auto former instead of the L-Pad.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 PM

we need to get togetehr and have a camp for a few days with workshops...I can "sacrifice" my speakers and provide the beer
Old 02-26-2017, 02:30 AM

About ready to build two pairs of 604 crossovers...

Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM

i am coming for an apprenticeship!
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Old 03-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Josh,
These look truly beautiful (both box and crossover). How do they sound?
Regards,
Idler
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Thank you. They'll take some time for me to adjust to them. Larger image. More majectic sound image. Good imaging. At higher volume settings they don't increase in output as much as the Flamencos with 2nd order crossovers. Too hard too say much quite yet. I just adjusted the horn level last night with the auto former level to 10. The range is down to 14 with each step turning it down more. Now I think it's give em a month or two to loosen up and for the crossovers to settle in. In the meantime I'll take care of the final cabinet finishing.

Last edited by junker; 03-08-2017 at 02:05 AM.