AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 01-30-2017, 01:28 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Apexorca, at this point you are an experienced headphone listener yourself (and a good photographer).

My experience with Focal is limited to one car audio project, but I loved how they sound. Based on your track record and obvious good ear, I think you have made great choices.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Life is beautiful

Wonderful pics again!
I also have daughters sleeping till late on Sundays, but fortunately they're sound sleepers.

The Focal is getting very good reviews.
Is it lighter than the Audeze headphones?
These weighed a bit too much for my head.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Wonderful pics again!
I also have daughters sleeping till late on Sundays, but fortunately they're sound sleepers.

The Focal is getting very good reviews.
Is it lighter than the Audeze headphones?
These weighed a bit too much for my head.
Thanks for information. Just staring to read some reviews.

I never starts to go through specifications. I just wants to get a grip on what I think about the sound. After that when I'm almost done I read the specifications.

Yes, the Audeze felt a bit heavier, but real soft also. But for me, thats nothing that I will emphazise in the decision of the headphone i think produces music in a way that I like. The musicality comes att first, second and third place in the HiFi-parameter race.

Last edited by Apexorca; 02-05-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Apexorca, at this point you are an experienced headphone listener yourself (and a good photographer).

My experience with Focal is limited to one car audio project, but I loved how they sound. Based on your track record and obvious good ear, I think you have made great choices.
Tanks!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM

I'v spent som hours comparing two Headphones from HiFiMAN with Utopia as my reference to se if HiFiMan could change that.

I used Quad PA-one to get the power.

HiFiMAN HE1000 V2...

... and Edition X V2...

... were easy to differ from each other. HE1000 V2 is the best of them. I liked HE1000 V2 a lot but when Focal Utopia sang in my ears the game was over.

Due to my taste Focal Utopia is without doubt still in the lead. HE1000 V2 second ant may be Focal Elear att third place. Audeze is a bit to dark and to much bas. Thats strange! I almost nether think that there is to much bas with normal speakers if the bas is correct. Though the bas can be wrong of course.

The list can change. I don't think I'm done yet. And still, I don't know if I really am going to listen to them. I always long for a normal system and feel the music in the room and my body. That can't happen with headphones.

Last edited by Apexorca; 02-09-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM

One more time. Headphone amps.
Focal Utopia is my reference and I only use it to test the amps this time.
Since I listened a lot to Quad PA-one and i like it a lot it has to be my reference in this test.

EAR HP4 ( iPhone Camera this time... sorry)

SPL Phonitor 2

I'v got a new reference. The best Phone amp I'v heard. EAR HP4.
Everthing is better. Bigger sound stage, better resolution, more air, deep firm bass and a more natural sound over all.
EAR HP4 is a big step up from the rest.
SPL sounds smaller, but correct, not that powerful, not that fun.
Quad and SPL is more allike but Quad has better power and i s more fun. SPL is more controlled but that is a bit les fun to listen to, less involving.

I must say I got the best music experience I'v ever had with headphones. Focal Utopia and EAR PH4 got me musically involved and suddenly i forgot the Headphones. Maybe this is something I would listen to and like it.

But still SPL and Quad is good amps. It's just in this comparison they lose the race.
My ranking so far is like this:

1- EAR HP4 way ahead.

2- Quad PA-one
3- SPL Phonitor 2 close to Quad.
4- Pathos i think.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 AM

I agree with you about the focal utopia headphones. I listen to mine every chance I get.
I am using an Aurilac Taurus Mark 2 with excellent results. Have you tried this combo?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbo View Post
I agree with you about the focal utopia headphones. I listen to mine every chance I get.
I am using an Aurilac Taurus Mark 2 with excellent results. Have you tried this combo?
Nice set up.

Thanks for the advice. It seems to be very good. I hope some of my HiFi-shops nearby have got it in stock. I really think I have to listen to it.

Last edited by Apexorca; 02-20-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 AM

I read somewhere the suggestion that the Elear pads improve the Utopia. Not tried it myself, so how true this is, I don't know. Just thought that I would throw it out there in case someone had compared.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
I read somewhere the suggestion that the Elear pads improve the Utopia. Not tried it myself, so how true this is, I don't know. Just thought that I would throw it out there in case someone had compared.
Anything is probably possible. I'v never tried it myself.