AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I think you may be correct ... Thanks!
I couldn't help but notice you have the BAT VK-655SE ... how are you liking that bad boy? I've read a lot of great things about it but never got a chance to listen to it. Now that I really am liking the Rex II down the road I may look into a pair of those as system synergies could be at play. Any thoughts? I was also thinking about a pair of the Rex II amps but I'm afraid those might run out of steam with my listening habits!

George
I'm liking it a lot! It has a lot of grunt, it's sumptuous, has infinite dynamics and tonally speaking is very luxuriant. The bass hits down low with amazing detail and speed! It's not bright and it doesn't have the best soundstage in the world but I can't complain. A few downsides: it's big, it's hot, it's heavy and it needs two power cords. And it's very transparent (sensitive if you want) to power cords so you have to dig deep and twofold into your pockets to be happy!
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-655SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple MacMini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 PM
gadawg's Avatar
gadawg gadawg is online now
Vinyl Rocks!

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Prosper TX
Posts: 686
Default

Iím getting sucked into the very luscious sound of this Rex II preamp. It clearly doesnít possess the detail or even the soundstage size of the Levinson but itís just so addictive I canít stop listening. The tonal density is off the charts. Almost seems Iím returning to my beginning. My very first high end system was a Counterpoint Sa-5000 tube preamp with a pair of very solid state Krell mono blocks and these Levinson amps were designed by a guy that worked at Krell for over 20 years. How funny!

Only down side really for me is that the Rex II does need a longer warm up than Iím used to. Actually doesnít settle in for a little over an hour ... but once it does. WOW!
__________________
Wilson Audio Sasha 2|Pair of BalancedForce212's
ML No536|BAT Rex II Pre
VPI Avenger Plus w/ Transfiguration Proteus
Esoteric D-02X|Esoteric P-02X|Aurender N100H
MIT Oracle SC and IC
Transparent Reference Power
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:16 PM
joey_v joey_v is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,918
Default

Nice read George!
__________________
System 1: PS Audio P5 -> Emm Labs Dac2X DAC + TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Amp -> BW 802D3 ->
System 2: Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 ->
System 3: Rotel RC1570 Pre -> Rotel RB1582 Amp -> Focal Kanta 2 ->
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Reality is an illusion


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 19,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Iím getting sucked into the very luscious sound of this Rex II preamp. It clearly doesnít possess the detail or even the soundstage size of the Levinson but itís just so addictive I canít stop listening. The tonal density is off the charts. Almost seems Iím returning to my beginning. My very first high end system was a Counterpoint Sa-5000 tube preamp with a pair of very solid state Krell mono blocks and these Levinson amps were designed by a guy that worked at Krell for over 20 years. How funny!

Only down side really for me is that the Rex II does need a longer warm up than Iím used to. Actually doesnít settle in for a little over an hour ... but once it does. WOW!
Sounds like you found a winner. A piece of gear that draws you deeper into music with its luscious sound is always better than a piece that tries to impress and leaves one cold, in my book at least. BAT makes very nice gear, I enjoyed a few years with BAT gear myself.
__________________
Serge

Main System:


Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary




Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood

Headphone Amplification: Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM
chessman's Avatar
chessman chessman is online now
From the BAT cave ...


 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,634
Default

George, thank you for the very interesting review!
__________________
Randy (1158) - Wilson Sophia 2; BAT VK-600SE, BAT VK-52SE, Esoteric K-01; JL Audio F113 x3; Sound Anchor Stands; Exact Power EP-15 and SP-15; Oppo BDP-83 SE; Bryston SP3; Emotiva MPS-1; Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K front projector; 92" Stewart Firehawk; Rocket 200, 300, 750; ASC Tube Traps; WireWorld Silver Electra 5^2 PC's, Silver Eclipse 6 IC's and Silver Eclipse 6 SC's; Shunyata Sigma HC (x2) amp to wall; Shunyata Hydra 6/Black Mamba CX-HC and Shunyata MPC-12/Venom HC power distribution and conditioning; Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS and Mini isolation; Clearaudio Concept (MC) turntable; PS Audio GCPH phono stage; Bryston 10B-SUB active cross-over; Sonos streaming; W4S Remedy upsample and clock; Silenzio media server; WireWorld Platinum Starlight USB.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 PM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I’m getting sucked into the very luscious sound of this Rex II preamp. It clearly doesn’t possess the detail or even the soundstage size of the Levinson but it’s just so addictive I can’t stop listening. The tonal density is off the charts. Almost seems I’m returning to my beginning. My very first high end system was a Counterpoint Sa-5000 tube preamp with a pair of very solid state Krell mono blocks and these Levinson amps were designed by a guy that worked at Krell for over 20 years. How funny!

Only down side really for me is that the Rex II does need a longer warm up than I’m used to. Actually doesn’t settle in for a little over an hour ... but once it does. WOW!
Sorry but that's how things are. Actually an hour doesn't sound like much. My solid-state VK-655SE warms up in about 45 minutes... And the difference isn't one to ignore!
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-655SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple MacMini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM
gadawg's Avatar
gadawg gadawg is online now
Vinyl Rocks!

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Prosper TX
Posts: 686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
Sorry but that's how things are. Actually an hour doesn't sound like much. My solid-state VK-655SE warms up in about 45 minutes... And the difference isn't one to ignore!
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-655SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple MacMini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse
From where I am coming from the Levinson requires no warm up as the standby mode only mutes the outputs so it was basically always on. The sound is worth it though.
__________________
Wilson Audio Sasha 2|Pair of BalancedForce212's
ML No536|BAT Rex II Pre
VPI Avenger Plus w/ Transfiguration Proteus
Esoteric D-02X|Esoteric P-02X|Aurender N100H
MIT Oracle SC and IC
Transparent Reference Power
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Down Under Down Under is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wollongong,Australia
Posts: 357
Default

Well maybe more like a North Ga Spring ... LOL. Actually the No326s I had before the No52 had a touch more warmth to it just not the level of detail that I was hoping for. The No52 has crazy great detail and when I had a Vivaldi stack in my room (only for one evening) it sounded even more amazing. I think what I'm hearing here is the Rex II with a tad bit more warmth than the No52 may have more synergy with the Esoteric digital stack. That said ... the difference between the No52 and the Rex II here is more like splitting hairs and not an OMG moment. The presence and the depth of image though is less like splitting hairs and more like splitting logs!


You have a great sense of humour.
I hope you continue to enjoy the Rex II.
__________________
I started off with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM
gadawg's Avatar
gadawg gadawg is online now
Vinyl Rocks!

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Prosper TX
Posts: 686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
Well maybe more like a North Ga Spring ... LOL. Actually the No326s I had before the No52 had a touch more warmth to it just not the level of detail that I was hoping for. The No52 has crazy great detail and when I had a Vivaldi stack in my room (only for one evening) it sounded even more amazing. I think what I'm hearing here is the Rex II with a tad bit more warmth than the No52 may have more synergy with the Esoteric digital stack. That said ... the difference between the No52 and the Rex II here is more like splitting hairs and not an OMG moment. The presence and the depth of image though is less like splitting hairs and more like splitting logs!


You have a great sense of humour.
I hope you continue to enjoy the Rex II.
Thanks! I try not to take any of this or myself too seriously! Now that I'm settling in with the Rex II I'm going to have to pick out a phono preamp ... the fun never ends!

George
__________________
Wilson Audio Sasha 2|Pair of BalancedForce212's
ML No536|BAT Rex II Pre
VPI Avenger Plus w/ Transfiguration Proteus
Esoteric D-02X|Esoteric P-02X|Aurender N100H
MIT Oracle SC and IC
Transparent Reference Power
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase