AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Schiit Freya inbound

A week or so ago I ordered a Freya with the upgraded Tung Sol tubes. It is due to be delivered sometime today! I'm excited :-) Do any of you have experience with this piece? About how long should I let this one cook before doing any critical listening?

I'm looking forward to using the balanced connections with my Gumby and for the output going to the bass DSP unit. I can't hurt as I was using output from my Hafler amp into the DSP unit (via a level reducer that I built). I would think that direct output from the pre to the DSP will be "better".

Anyway - if you have any thoughts on break-in time or how to get the most out of the Freya - I'm listening. And before someone says it - I know - get the Yiggy - (that'll be next).
Main System: Pre-Power; Schiit Freya w/tung sol 6SN7's, Hafler 220 (modified) mids and tweets, Adcom 555 - main woofers. Digital; Alien R3, iFi USB, Schiit Gungnir MB. Analog;Well-Tempered Classic, Monster Alpha 2 (rebuilt by SS), Forte 2 w/Sparkos op-amps (as phono pre). Bass DSP: Behringer DCX2496. Power: RGPC. Mains; 1) Home built with Vifa-Peerless and HIVI drivers,. Subs; Energy 10.3, Tannoy CMS-110B
Old 07-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Congratulations on the Freya. I look forward to your listening impressions.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
Congratulations on the Freya. I look forward to your listening impressions.
It's cooking now ... once the tubes warmed up it started sounding ... well, Holy Schiit!!! I'll post some detailed observations once I believe it has hit its stride, but I'm already impressed.
Main System: Pre-Power; Schiit Freya w/tung sol 6SN7's, Hafler 220 (modified) mids and tweets, Adcom 555 - main woofers. Digital; Alien R3, iFi USB, Schiit Gungnir MB. Analog;Well-Tempered Classic, Monster Alpha 2 (rebuilt by SS), Forte 2 w/Sparkos op-amps (as phono pre). Bass DSP: Behringer DCX2496. Power: RGPC. Mains; 1) Home built with Vifa-Peerless and HIVI drivers,. Subs; Energy 10.3, Tannoy CMS-110B
Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Congrats on your new Freya. I've had mine since they were introduced and I enjoy it daily. It sounds great with the Tung Sols, and now I run mine with the Schiit LISST solid state "tubes," and am very pleased with the sound, and the immunity from tube rolling. I'd rather buy more music than more tubes, and my budget dictates that it's either/or.

I look forward to reading more once yours in settled-in.
Oppo BDP-93 > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Freya Preamp > Schiit Vidar Power Amps (x2- Monoblock configuration) > B & W DM604 s2 + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Equitech Son of Q; Wireworld and Synergistic Research Cabling.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 AM

OK, so the Freya is starting to hit its stride. But first my reference points. These are the pre-amps I have owned and listened to daily at various times: Audible Illusions 3A with phono, BAT VK-50SE, BAT VK-20SE, BAT BP-10SE, Bryston SP-1, Thor TA-2000, Forte model 2 (still have), Spectral (can't recall model #), Mod Squad Passive, and a couple of others that I'm not recalling at the moment.

So, the Freya? .... well its impressive. I paid $799 as configured (with tung sol tubes) and I expected it to sound good (heard it at shows), but didn't quite expect the performance level I am experiencing. So far I like the Jfet buffer mode the best as the soundstage is big and deep with a very "relaxed" ,very smooth and and extremely natural sound overall. In straight passive mode the soundstage lacks some depth, but the timbre is very natural - if somewhat light. With the tube stage engaged (not sure they are fully burned in yet) there is a very subtle "pinching" of both soundstage and timbre - although still excellent. The tubes do impart a bit of harmonic extras that make duller recordings sparkle and add to the "air" factor. I'll be interested to see if this harmonic addition tames down a bit as the tubes break in more (if they are still breaking in - that is). Dynamics with the tubes are a bit more "there" but not quite as natural sounding as the Jfet buffer mode - which is an extremely natural sounding configuration with soundstage scale and dynamics scale that are equally "natural". Again, we'll see if the dynamics with the tubes change over time.

As good as the Freya is in the Jfet buffer mode, I'm very curious to try the LISST solid state tubes that US Blues mentions in the post above. Suffice it to say that the Freya is a solid performer. At the moment, especially with HQ-HD classical files, its making me wonder why I would look to improve upon what Freya is capable of??? Stunning performance for the price, so I'm a happy camper!

I'll let the tubes cook for a full week and then post some specific observations from specific reference songs/recordings.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Nice report. I believe the issue in regards to topping the Freya's performance is "at what cost?" The value of Schiit gear in terms of price for performance is darned good.

PS- Freya does like a good power cable.
Oppo BDP-93 > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Freya Preamp > Schiit Vidar Power Amps (x2- Monoblock configuration) > B & W DM604 s2 + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Equitech Son of Q; Wireworld and Synergistic Research Cabling.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Nice report. I believe the issue in regards to topping the Freya's performance is "at what cost?" The value of Schiit gear in terms of price for performance is darned good.

PS- Freya does like a good power cable.
Yep ... I have a nice big juicy well shielded one on my Freya

I've been experimenting with single ended vs. balanced .... a tale of two pre-amps is all I can say. Different animal when used balanced Single ended is nice but lacks a bit of drive at the very bottom and tends to err toward the thin (not much) side. Balanced operation is another level of bass control, midrange beauty and top end extension and ease. Pretty surprised by this - now I have to buy a phono pre that operates in full balanced mode! Damn - this hobby is one thing after another