AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM

Default Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable

Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable,
for Upgraded Performance in Music Servers and Computer Audio Devices​

San Marcos, CA, January 22, 2020 – Audience is now shipping its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable. The new SATA (Serial AT Attachment) cable is designed as an upgrade for internal connections of music server/computer storage devices, solid-state and disk drives and other hardware.

The new Hidden Treasure SATA cable provides better data transfer by reducing jitter and RF contamination, resulting in a lower noise floor and notably improved sound quality in audio components such as computer-based music systems. It can be easily installed as a DIY upgrade.

“More audiophiles are turning to music servers and other data storage, drive-based devices for their music listening, and these devices require a SATA cable for connecting the drive to the rest of the internal electronics,” noted John McDonald, president of Audience. “As a cable manufacturer it was a logical area for us to look into. We’ve discovered that upgrading the stock SATA cable with our Hidden Treasure cable can significantly improve the sound.”

Transmission of data including digital audio signals through a SATA cable happens at a much higher speed than via a USB connection and as a result, is more susceptible to jitter and internal system noise. The Audience Hidden Treasure SATA cable employs newly developed proprietary design techniques intended to block noise and ensure optimum signal condition and data integrity. By removing layers of sonic “grunge,” the audible result is greater low-level detail and a smoother, more inviting sonic presentation.

Although the retrofit of a component’s stock SATA cable with a Hidden Treasure SATA cable is a simple un-plug and re-plug function, Audience recommends that the upgrade be performed by a qualified technician. Audience also recommends consideration of the manufacturer’s warranty that could potentially be voided when modifying a particular music player. Audience accepts no liability for damage caused by improper installation.

The Audience Hidden Treasure SATA data cable is currently available. Suggested retail pricing is as follows: 12-inch cable, $180; 18-inch cable, $200; 24-inch cable, $220.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:57 AM

Wow! What will they think of next. Who knew SATA cables were the problem.

This sounds like a money grab to me.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 AM
Cool, calm scientist

The best thing you can do is 1) move the computer/music server well away from the audio rack and 2) not directly connect a USB cable from a computer/music server to a DAC. It's much better to use a network bridge.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable

Hmmm. Like all things in this crazy obsession (hobby), too each their own.

The recommendation to only have a technician perform the change is more laughable than the idea of the cable.

- unplug PC.
- take cover off. (Probably Phillips head screws or clips)
- remove old sata cable.
- install new sata cable.
- reinstall cover.
- plug PC in.

Your welcome.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 01-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post

The recommendation to only have a technician perform the change is more laughable than the idea of the cable.

- unplug PC.
- remove old sata cable.
- reinstall cover.
- plug PC in.

Your welcome.
I have been in software and hardware computing pursuits since mid 1980s.

A properly built SATA cable absolutely helps reduce error/retry rate, improve seek times and reduce latency. Same for quality memory models in their respective realms of impact.
By quality I also mean over time.

That stated, an audiophile grade SATA cable that has a high price tag.....that is hard to swallow.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post

- unplug PC.
- remove old sata cable.
- reinstall cover.
- plug PC in.

Your welcome.
Agreed, but maybe they are covering their bases on all the ways this can be used...including music servers of a million different designs. i.e Aurender, etc.

FWIW, I don't see how this kind of cable can actually do anything, but I've been proven wrong with USB cables (I have the Shunyata Sigma)!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

FWIW, I don't see how this kind of cable can actually do anything, but I've been proven wrong with USB cables (I have the Shunyata Sigma)!
Yep...I used to think the same thing about Ethernet cables, too.

Boy, was I wrong...

I've come to the conclusion that next to power cords, digital cables make the biggest impact...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yep...I used to think the same thing about Ethernet cables, too.

Boy, was I wrong...

I've come to the conclusion that next to power cords, digital cables make the biggest impact...
Well you lose me there, I think speaker cables are the most important, followed by power, interconnects, and lastly digital. But they can make a difference!

I still don't know about ethernet, I use wifi for my streaming and I'm perfectly happy with it! Lol
Old 01-25-2020, 02:25 PM

I : Digital and Power, equal and first
II: Speaker
III:Interconncts

II are a toss up depending level of what is connected IMHO
Old 01-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Well you lose me there, I think speaker cables are the most important, followed by power, interconnects, and lastly digital. But they can make a difference!
A year ago, I would have agreed with you, Marc, with a just slight difference: PCs, then SPs...but after all the experimentation I've done this year, I've had to re-orient my thinking. So it goes, its a journey...

Quote:
I still don't know about ethernet, I use wifi for my streaming and I'm perfectly happy with it! Lol
Well, don't try a direct connection with a Shunyata Ethernet cable, then! LOL.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-25-2020 at 02:36 PM.