AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
I never use the app. I just connect via Spotify and use that as the interface. I don’t have any other apps so I don’t know if you can use them the same as Spotify. Mine works well and sounds great. Never drops or gets caught up.
Jdsmoke is right. Once set up, the MB50 will recognize Spotify and Tidal when those apps are opened. I always utilize the Spotify and Tidal user interfaces while using them, NOT Play-Fi. I believe some of the user complaints about the MB50 are due to people not fully understanding its capabilities or how it operates. I prefer its internal Cirrus Logic DAC over the DAC in my C47. It's more analog sounding and less fatiguing than any other streamer I've tried, and I've tried quite a few.

Last edited by jayvis; 05-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 AM

If you like the McIntosh sound, you’ll love the Lumin. Rock-solid reliability and outstanding tech support from Peter on the forums, both here and on AS.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM

By-passing the playfi app works in Spodify which for some reason I did not see that as an option before?? Anyway that is good news and a big plus.

I am not seeing the MB50 through the Tidal app though. It is not in the list of available devices. Please elaborate on how you work with Tidal.

I will take a look at the Lumin. Thanks
Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
If you like the McIntosh sound, you’ll love the Lumin. Rock-solid reliability and outstanding tech support from Peter on the forums, both here and on AS.
I've tried the Lumin products. Although they seem to be a robust design, their Sabre DAC's supply a little too much sizzle (digital sound) for my taste. I currently have what I believe to be a Sabre DAC option through my C47 preamp, but I prefer the sound of the internal Cirrus Logic DAC in the MB50 for the majority of music I listen to. It's nice to have a two DAC option in my system. Plus, made in America was another key selling point to me over the Chinese made Lumin.

Last edited by jayvis; 05-02-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM

My Lumin A1 and my previous D1 use Wolfson DAC’s, not Sabre. Personally, I prefer the smoother sound of Wolfson.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
My Lumin A1 and my previous D1 use Wolfson DAC’s, not Sabre. Personally, I prefer the smoother sound of Wolfson.
Yes, I've tried the Lumin D2 in my system and it has a Wolfson DAC. It is their entry level network player and is priced $300 higher than the McIntosh MB50. It performed well and has some very good features, but it just didn't do it for me. Of course, I'm a little biased.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxx View Post
By-passing the playfi app works in Spodify which for some reason I did not see that as an option before?? Anyway that is good news and a big plus.

I am not seeing the MB50 through the Tidal app though. It is not in the list of available devices. Please elaborate on how you work with Tidal.

I will take a look at the Lumin. Thanks
I much prefer Spotify to Tidal. The only times that I used Tidal was during the free 30-day trial period, and my MB50 was always listed as an available device. You might try rebooting your router to see if that fixes it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 PM

I think the Spotify connect feature is why it can be recognized outside of the playfi app as it shows up on the main connection screen where the phone itself is listed. Airport express and bluesound were both found under More devices - Airplay & Bluetooth. I tried resetting the router and modem and no luck on tidal. Any other suggestions on tidal would be appreciated. I am using iPhone, and have tried it on two of the them with the latest ios updates.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Make sure you are connected to the same WiFi. I have 2 in my house and the Spotify interface only works if I’m on the one the MB50 is connected to. It should show up in the Tidal app as it’s support via Play-Fi. Also make sure the Tidal is set up in the Play-Fi app as a source option.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:01 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:

I love my Lumin U1! Amazing!