AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Yes, I remember the CJ house sound well from years and years ago. Not familiar with the new voice. I was surprised to read that the ET3 is quite the opposite of what I recall the CJ gear being before.

"I can’t say that the ET3 is a neutral component. Its unique sound signature is audible on every recording. So if you’re one for whom fidelity to the original recording is paramount, you’ll not likely find this preamp to your taste.
I’m a bit surprised at the ET3. The special edition version of this preamp is on most everyone’s recommended-component list. But given the treble emphasis and midrange dynamic exaggerations that the base ET3 model exhibits, I wouldn’t necessarily consider this model a high-end contender. Since I haven’t heard the SE version, it may be significantly more neutral than the base model.
This is not to say that the preamp doesn’t have its charm – only that it isn’t sufficiently neutral to have a long-term place in my system."

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...lifier-review/
I've heard the ET3 and I don't agree with the reviewer's assessments at all. It's quite comparable in sound quality to the Premier 17, which was/is a very musical and lovely-sounding preamp.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've heard the ET3 and I don't agree with the reviewer's assessments at all. It's quite comparable in sound quality to the Premier 17, which was/is a very musical and lovely-sounding preamp.
Good to know Stephen. I was very surprised.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

To be honest with you, I never put much stock into reviews from Home Theatre Hifi.com

Jerôme's assessment of the current/modern C-J sound is very, very accurate. The current C-J sound is a lot like Dynaudio speakers: very clean, fast, transparent and neutral, yet very musical and engaging. Neither will drive one out of the room, rather one can listen to music for hours and never become fatigued. The "supreme musicality" that Jerôme describes is spot-on. Not the warm, "syrupy" sound of the days of the PV-5.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-27-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
To be honest with you, I never put much stock into reviews from Home Theatre Hifi.com

Jerôme's assessment of the current/modern C-J sound is the very, very accurate. The current C-J sound is a lot like Dynaudio speakers: very clean, transparent and neutral, yet very musical and engaging. Not the warm, "syrupy" sound of the days of the PV-5.
That was my understanding as well. I'll have to give the newer CJ a listen. I was even thinking of a CAV-45 perhaps for a simple system in a smallish room.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That was my understanding as well. I'll have to give the newer CJ a listen. I was even thinking of a CAV-45 perhaps for a simple system in a smallish room.
Yes, that might be very nice indeed, especially with the KEF LS50s.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:03 AM

Default An update after one year with the GAT

Quote:

Jerôme's assessment of the current/modern C-J sound is very, very accurate. The current C-J sound is a lot like Dynaudio speakers: very clean, fast, transparent and neutral, yet very musical and engaging. Neither will drive one out of the room, rather one can listen to music for hours and never become fatigued. The "supreme musicality" that Jerôme describes is spot-on. Not the warm, "syrupy" sound of the days of the PV-5.

I could not agree more Stephen. That is exactly my feelings.
I remember precisely when years ago you told me that you do not "need" any Shindo because you have CJ.
Since I got the 17LS and after it the GAT, I fully understood your point.
Although as I said to Serge in an other post, I still "need" both Shindo and CJ.

Last edited by Jerome W; 11-28-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Retired

Quote:
Indeed. I used an ET3SE with my Classic Sixty SE and thought it was a great combination. I did roll the 6922 to an NOS RCA which was a noticeable improvement over the stock EH it came with. Would not hesitate to recommend the ET3SE (have not heard an ET3).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM

I"ve had a CJ ET3 SE for just under 2 years. Once it broke in it has a open smooth sound w/excellent bass. Got improvement when I changed my 6922 to an Amperex Orange Globe. The rest of the setup is a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp and a pair of Aerial 5T's.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 AM

Hello folks,

Yesterday an “internet” friend came to visit me from Belgium and brought to me a NOS unused pair of Telefunken E188CC tubes to try in my GAT. His name is Stefan and he is originally from Romania.
From what I read these tubes are a great improvement over the Tele E88CC.
They would need at least 100 hours of break in. The sound is actually very good from now. My GAT came from Joe with a pair of Cryo treated 6922 ( unknown brand but Stefan told me they are russians ) from Upscale Audio and an other stock pair and I have been thinking about these Telefunken tubes since a long time, actually since Shane told me about them, but they became very rare and pricey.
The E188CC Telefunken tubes in the GAT made the sound gaining clearly a few other degrees of dynamic and clarity. The timbres seem also more “classy”, following the road of the Shindo Giscours preamp. I am very glad I got the chance to finally get a pair.