AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Western Stars

My wife and I saw Western Stars yesterday. This is a movie made around Bruce Springsteen’s latest album of the same name. We are Bruce fans. I believe that may be a prerequisite of fully enjoying this movie.

The movie is a vehicle for Bruce to explain the depth of emotions and dreams he has when writing the songs on the album. There are deep and often times dark feelings inside of Bruce. He described this album as having started when he was a boy and being a metaphor for the human conflict of needing to be a part of something yet yearning for wide open spaces. Wow!

The movie, much like the music, often uses grand landscapes to portray his feelings yet it is performed in a fairly intimate venue - the hayloft of his California horse barn. While a pretty big room, it becomes much smaller with a 30 piece orchestra and a band inside.

Throughout the movie, Bruce gives the audience insights into how he has seen his life and what he was thinking about, or feeling, while writing each song. To a fan wanting to know all there is about Bruce, that was enjoyable. Because of the venue, the music, which follows the track list of the album, takes on a ‘wish I was there’ aspect. While the orchestra creates soaring and grand soundscapes which match the grand landscape portrayed in the movie, the venue gives it a feel of togetherness - perfectly portraying the conflict of wanting to feel a part of something yet yearning for the great wide escape of the west.

The highlights for me were when his wife Patti played guitar and sang with Bruce. The song Stones was especially moving as Patti took on joint singing duties. As a duo singing about the pain that lies create in a relationship, it took on a powerful moment. Bruce admitted in an interview that he doesn’t know why he didn’t think of doing that for the album because it may have been the highlight of the entire movie.

Sorry to ramble. This is not an uplifting movie. It is thoughtful and deep and requires work to fully appreciate. As a Bruce fan, I learned even more about his troubled mind and the deep love and appreciation he has for Patti and those that have helped him along his journey.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Gotta see that. Nebraska is one of my favorite albums of all time - and they used the demo tapes for the album. He is an under appreciated songwriter.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Not a ramble at all. I’m not a huge Boss fan, but I do like several of his songs and certainly can appreciate his talents. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 PM

Just listened to the album. Very very good. If you listened to him in college, this is different stuff entirely.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Racing Hoopties

Jim, Did you listen to the Studio or Movie (Live) Version?
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-27-2019, 10:41 PM

Studio, via Qobuz (or was it tidal). Not good sound quality - I need the lp.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Western Stars

The Live version is the same song list with the addition of Rhinestone Cowboy at the end but it is recorded in his horse barn. His vocals are more raw and Patti is present. I like it better, especially after seeing the movie.

Qobuz has it in 24/192. SQ is great.

Last edited by crwilli; 10-27-2019 at 11:40 PM.