AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 PM

Default Ayre QX-5 Twenty to be announced @ Munich 2016

New press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Ayre Acoustics, Inc. introduces the QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub.

Boulder, Colorado, USA - 27 April 2016 - Ayre's latest entry in the world of digital audio combines a decades-long record of ground-breaking innovation in both digital and analog audio with revolutionary features to set a new benchmark in the field.

Every conceivable digital input, including Ethernet, Streamlength asynchronous USB, S/PDIF (in three different formats), and even direct connection to thumb drives and NAS storage allows for unlimited flexibility and convenience. Streaming with both Tidal and Deezer are fully supported, and Roon ready control is directly integrated as well. Whether your music library comprises physical media, computer-based files, or streamed from the highest quality lossless services, all are seamlessly accessible with unprecedented ease.

Ayre is proud to partner with ESS Technologies (ESS Technology :: Home) to debut their new flagship D/A converter chip, the ES9038PRO in the QX-5. This advanced device builds on ESS's award-winning technology to set new standards for linearity and dynamic range. Combined with Ayre's custom minimum-phase digital filter, implemented in a low noise FPGA, this synergistic integration renders an astonishing level of detail and purity. Delivering all of music's emotional power to the listener - regardless of format.

Ayre has also partnered with Morion (Morion, Inc :: Main page) to develop a new high-performance crystal oscillator that offers the lowest levels of phase noise in the industry. Morion has decades of experience supplying satellite-grade crystal oscillators, including those powering the guidance system of the International Space Station. A specially developed new doubly-rotated cut quartz crystal allows this high level of performance to be achieved without the need for expensive temperature-controlled ovens. Precision timing is at the heart of conversion between the digital and analog domains, and the ease and fluidity of analog is fully realized for the first time with the QX-5.

The Ayre QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub. This is music!

ABOUT:
Ayre Acoustics, Inc. has been steadily developing a full array of new audio and video technologies since 1993. Pioneering the use of zero-feedback real-time amplification, built on a foundation of the highest performance power supplies, and maximizing the circuit's performance capabilities through the use of fully-balanced, differential circuits from input to output, Ayre's designs have continually won countless awards for decades. All Ayre products are designed and built by hand in Boulder, Colorado, using only components from the highest quality supply partners in North America, Japan, and Europe.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 PM

Found a picture here: Ayre Acoustics introduces the QX-5 Twenty digital hub | Norman Audio

Old 04-30-2016, 03:49 AM

it's the usual Ayre design, I like it, I am curious how it will hold up like the Chord Dave for instance.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:10 AM

any ideas on price?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 AM

In the US it will cost you $ 8950.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 AM

Read that it's expected at $8,950 US.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
Ayre has also partnered with Morion (Morion, Inc :: Main page) to develop a new high-performance crystal oscillator that offers the lowest levels of phase noise in the industry.
We are talking Russian military supplier here !
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
We are talking Russian military supplier here !
Two months into break-in of Ayre Ax5twenty integrated, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were the official supplier of audio components to Volga.

Khrushchev calls to me from the beyond -- 'it will be gud, just wait...'

Sadly, I think Karl offered the same advice...
Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Anyone know if this technology will make it over to the QB-9?
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 05-15-2016, 06:12 AM

From what I have heard, from others not personally, is that codex is more than just a little better than the QB-9. So as it stands they have a pretty good DAC in the codex right now, with two inputs. I doubt QB-9 will remain in the product lineup untouched. I have a QB-9 DSD, which I think is phenomenal, but this QX-5 is taking its place.

There is nothing wrong with QB-9 DSD's sound at all and frankly I can hardly imagine how anything can be that much better. But when Ayre says something is good it usually is pretty freakin' good and just can't resist, although QB-9 is really all the DAC I need.

What ultimately sold me on QX-5 is the possibilities it opens up. Digital volume control means cutting out a line stage preamp and a set of interconnects which could potentially bottleneck performance. It might mean cutting out a dedicated headphone amp and that set of interconnects. Roon and ethernet cuts out the computer as a source and means unit can play so long as the material is on the network. That gives me back my stereo as a device that operates without my computer and jriver being on and set up just so, which sort of hijacked my HTPC which gets other use. But it still has the async USB so I can feed it all my computer audio. Toslink means game consoles and cable boxes get fed into the unit from my TV's digital out--currently the only way to get that sound into my stereo since those units have no analog output.

One button and headphones are on? Even my wife approved of that simplicity.

But the real value is the digital preamp. It opens up a world of upgrade potential. You can go dac only mode and add a really good line stage or integrated AX-5 Twenty. Or You can skip a line stage and get a nice power amp...VX-5? Add line stage pre later or not at all. If you are ramping up you have a few paths. It really has sparked my interest in the high end. It is hard to call anything at this price range a good value, but this may prove to be if it all works. And knowing Ayre, performance will be punching above its weight class approaching or perhaps into dCS territory. Are they finally getting into the ring, with the dCS "ring" dac? I hope so.