AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Ayre KX-5 and VX-5 combo

I'm taking delivery (in two weeks) of the Ayre KX-5 and VX-5. I'm moving up from the K-5xeMP and V-5xe preamp and amplifier.

Any other owners care to comment on your own experiences with this combination? I haven't found too many reviews of the KX-5 preamp so far, but I'm quite happy with the sound and think it's noticeably better than my older pre/amp.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
I'm taking delivery (in two weeks) of the Ayre KX-5 and VX-5. I'm moving up from the K-5xeMP and V-5xe preamp and amplifier.

Any other owners care to comment on your own experiences with this combination? I haven't found too many reviews of the KX-5 preamp so far, but I'm quite happy with the sound and think it's noticeably better than my older pre/amp.
Congrats with your new incoming Ayre. Looking forward to see some photos when the time comes.

What's plans do you have for your K-5xeMP?

I love the smell of new equipment in the morning. Smell, that burning in smell, all over the room, smells like ... Victory.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM

You are going to be really thrilled with the combo, I used to own the V-5xe and K-5xe a few years back and now have the KX-5 and VX-5. Have you heard the KX-R? I honestly don't think there's much of a gap between that ant the KX-5. While I love both pieces, I got the VX-5 first and immediately noticed a lot more grip on the speakers. At the time I was moving from the AX-7e though, and the difference in power is substantial there so it's not a huge surprise. The KX-5 went in to replace an Aesthetix Calypso, and as good as that preamp is, I was totally floored by the KX-5. It's the best preamp I think I've heard... honestly might prefer it to the KX-R!

Congrats on your purchase, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the improvement. If I can suggest something, it is replace the gear one piece at a time to see what you think of the differences. I know it'll be a hard thing to do rather than pop them both in, but give it a try! Run the KX-5 with the V-5xe first. Cold, out of the box I bet you'll be grinning ear to ear.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM

I'm actually trading in my current pre/amp for the new ones. I've listened to the KX-R a lot and have dreamed of owning it someday. Maybe I'll update the KX-5 to the KX-R updated in 2014....but I found the KX-5/VX-5 to be pretty close in performance to the KX-R/MX-R.

I can only imagine what the R series updates will sound like with the Diamond Circuits....

I auditioned an ARC Ref 9, Ayre KX-5/VX-5 driving a pair of Wilson Alexias. I found the presentation had detail and impressive soundstaging. That combo was able to dig up details in the recordings I couldn't hear even on ARC high end preamps (I did do an A/B comparison between ARC and Ayre).

The ARC brought some bloom but I ultimately preferred the Ayre I think. I listen to a lot of studio recordings as well as "concert hall" perspective recordings.

I'm still using a C-5xeMP as my digital source. I'm leaning towards adding a QB-9 DSD (due to its reasonable price). I've been reading enthusiastic feedback about the QB-9 DSD. Happily, the KX-5 preamp has four balanced inputs (double what the K-5xeMP had).
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 AM

hi
I m using sophia 3 with Jeff Rowland and plan to go for ARC or Ayre. but cannot A/B compare cause the different dealers. Can u tell me more comment between ARC and Ayre , also what ARC model u were comparing.

s2019s
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM

I would say the ARC soundstage was somewhat deeper, taller and wider than the Ayre. However, I found the Ayre had an impressive soundstage on its own, and I found it more detailed. I was listening to some studio-based recordings and noted things in the recording I hadn't heard before, even when going through the Ref10.

I was comparing these setups:

ARC CD9 - ARC Ref10 preamp - ARC Ref250 monoblocks - Wilson Alexia
ARC CD9 - Ayre KX-5 preamp - Ayre VX-5 amp - Wilson Alexia

Room was about 15' wide by 25' deep, I'm guessing. 9' ceilings.

I liked the Ayre's detail and soundstaging. If you are more into soundstaging then perhaps the ARC might suit you better. I'm not as "golden eared" as others on this site, so take my observations with a grain of salt. From a price perspective, the Ayre seemed to offer more for the money (After all, the Ref10 preamp is a $30k preamp!)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:20 AM

i hope someone can compare the Ayre with ARC Ls 27 and ref 75.
which is in same price range .
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM

I am presently home auditioning the Ayre VX-5 amp with the Audio Research Reference 5SE preamp in my system. My dealer does not have the Ayre KX-5 in their store yet to audition so I cannot bring one home at the present time. I did buy the Ayre VX-5, but I am still a little undecided whether to purchase the ARC Reference 5SE or wait until my dealer gets the KX-5 in and burned-in for me to home audition. The Reference 5SE really sounds fantastic in my system, but the $13K asking price is holding me back a little bit.

Please see my other thread on the Audio Research Manufacture Forum for details of my audition.

I have read the posts above on this thread, but welcome other comments from others that have compared these 2 preamps in their system. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 PM

I'll be posting my impressions soon. I expect to take delivery of the KX-5 and VX-5 later this week. I'm curious if you wind up with the Ref 5SE & VX-5 combo.

I'm pretty familiar with the KX-R sound, and the KX-5 is far closer to that sound than the K-5xeMP (my current preamp). Apparently, an update to both the KX-R and MX-R are coming and the new versions are going to be a lot more expensive (25-27k, not sure). Was reading about it over on the DX-5 thread at AVS Forum (Charles said the new KX-R twice as good as the old one, can't imagine that!)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 PM

I'll be interested to check your impressions out once you get the Ayre combo. Congratulations.

Earlier today I put my ARC Reference 2 back into my system. Although it sounds quite good, it just can't match the Refererees 5SE's clarity, PRAT, timbral accuracy, and detail to mention a few things. With the Ref 5SE + the Ayre VX-5, the sound is just more real. This was most apparent the first 5 minutes after my system was warmed back up and I started playing the same disks again. Well, my Ref 2 has served me well for 13 years which included the mods in 2005.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending how I look at it I guess that I am just going to have to buy the Ref 5SE. My dealer was indeed right, the combo ARC + Ayre is the sweet spot; at least in this price range.

Wow, twice as good? I'll have to go over to AVS and check out the DX-5 thread. I posted over there along time ago, if it's the same thread. BTW, I own a C-5xeMP SACD player.