AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:00 PM

Found a place about an hour away in Toledo Ohio that sells both McIntosh and Klipsch so I went down with the wife to check it out. They had a set of RF7-III's on display, and hooked them up to a 150 WPC McIntosh amp and a McIntosh CD player for me in a private audition room. Should be pretty similar in sound to my MAC6700 (200WPC) and Oppo CD. I played through most of Dark Side of the Moon, A couple songs from Wish You Were Here, and about half of Pearl Jam's Vs.

These are definitely the speakers for me. They hit hard on the base, great treble and mid - but not harsh like I was worried about with the big horn. When I wanted to it loud, it was like I was in the front row of a concert. Plus Eddie's voice in "Elderly Woman..." was exactly what I was looking for, and was the kind of sound I couldn't get out of the Maggies. The 150 WPC amp never went into Power Guard, so I should be fine since I have another 50 to play with. They were definitely more "In your face" than the Maggies, but that is how I like my rock and roll.

-Geoff
Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM
McKlipschead

Thought you would like the III’s, they will rock out with your MAC6700.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Great. Walnut on backorder until at least Feb 28th.

-Geoff
Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Prudent decision. Klipsch and McIntosh are a perfect match. The new RF7III is efficient and will require very little power for normal listening levels. This means that the first few watts out of your MA6700, which are in Class A mode, will be ideal for horn loaded speakers. Also, the high efficiency rating of the RFIII will greatly reduce intermodulation distortion, especially in the most important midrange, and cabinet resonance/vibration typically found in direct radiating speakers.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
This means that the first few watts out of your MA6700, which are in Class A mode, will be ideal for horn loaded speakers.
Have never read this about any McIntosh gear over the years. Could you point to the source of your information on same? Thanks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Finally got them! They sound awesome. The McIntosh barely breaks a sweat making them sound great too. The red lights haven't been on since I have had it hooked up.

As far as the Class A, I am still in the first electronics class (op amps don't come until next fall), but my understanding with McIntosh and most other amps is that the first few watts are class A, then after that are Class B. I think Emotiva makes an amp now that you can select Class A or Class A/B, but the A only runs in the mid double digits of power.

-Geoff
Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 AM

Anyone buys these recently? They are on my short list for new speakers. I listen to 70 percent Metal-punk-Hard-core and 30 percent- Diana Krall, Duke Ellington, Jazz etc...

Current speakers, Dynaudio Excite 44's. c52 pre amp and mc 452 power amp. Medium sized room bordering on Large, very undedicated listening room right now..

In the Market for new speakers, 7500 Canadian dollars to spend. My short list

1-Klipsch RF-7 III

2-Second hand Focal Electra 1038Be

3-Tekton Double Impact

I would love to hear from some of you. I could really use the insight. Enjoy the music.

Mikey

Last edited by newbie78; 04-06-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:20 AM
McKlipschead

Default Klipsch RF7III...... NEW

Purchased a new pair of RF-7III’ two weeks ago. Break-in has been slow during busy times, however I can say this for certain now. These are amazing rock and roll speakers, even better for rock than my other Klipsch Heritage speakers La Scala II’s and Cornwall III’s. Played some Metallica DCC gold Master of Puppets and also Ride the Lightning and it about knocked my dog in the dirt! Power for the mighty RF-7III towers is being supplied by a Marantz Reference PM-14S1 90-watt integrated amp. These towers don’t lie, they’re very honest revealing dynamic speakers. Any weaknesses upstream with amplification, sources and recordings will sound as is, no covering up deficiencies. The twin towers of power are huge bang for the buck, but could cost you upgrade money if your system is not up to task. Good luck whatever you choose to do!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
As far as the Class A, I am still in the first electronics class (op amps don't come until next fall), but my understanding with McIntosh and most other amps is that the first few watts are class A, then after that are Class B.
-Geoff
Here is a good article explaining the various types of amplifiers. The primary reason why McIntosh and Klipsch work together so well is the combined reduction of distortion. Class A mode essentially eliminates crossover distortion and horn loaded speakers have the lowest level of intermodulation distortion.

Systems consisting of big powerful amplifiers and ordinary low efficiency direct-reflecting speakers have the highest level of distortion.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...lifier-classes
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Here is a good article explaining the various types of amplifiers. The primary reason why McIntosh and Klipsch work together so well is the combined reduction of distortion. Class A mode essentially eliminates crossover distortion and horn loaded speakers have the lowest level of intermodulation distortion.

Systems consisting of big powerful amplifiers and ordinary low efficiency direct-reflecting speakers have the highest level of distortion.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...lifier-classes
While Class A amps & horns can work very well together, McIntosh has never sold a Class A power amp to the public (indeed, if they've ever made one at all).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag