AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Kev, where are you planning to stay (I assume Manhattan)? Downtown? Midtown? Boutique hotel or using / getting points?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM

John, we will be at The Manhattan, Times Sq.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
Kev, if you go to Nashville (which is quite a hike from NYC), given your avatar, I suggest
Gruhn Guitars.

Gruhn Guitars

If you have time in NYC and can persuade yourself to go to one of the outer boroughs, there's Mandolin Brothers (don't worry about the name, it's very much a guitar shop).

Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

I'm not sure if it's worth a trip out there just for the store, and alas I don't know anything else of interest in that part of Staten Island.
+1...

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
John, we will be at The Manhattan, Times Sq.
Kev, I stayed there many times when it was called the Sheraton Manhattan. That's a great location! Stops for a couple different subway lines a block or
two away.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Great deal Kev for you and your wife. As someone who grew up to an extent in NYC -- Bronx, City Island in particular and who worked on Governors Island (USCG base at tip of Manhatten, near Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island area & took subways/busses everyday for a few years), let me suggest a couple things:

First--if you are interested in seeing some sights, which I will get to in a minute, buy a City Pass for $49 per which is good for 9 consecutive days and will give you admission to a majority of these sights I have yet to mention. The booklet has 6 admission tickets to those sights/museums and also offers up to 15% off fine restaurants and also offers free bus and trains (see the brochure).

CityPASS® Official Site - Save up to 50%: New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Southern California, Seattle, Houston, San Francisco, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, Hollywood

Sights:

Little Italy
China Town (same area basically as Little Italy)
Empire State Building (it's a must -- while in NYC)
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island area (another must see)
Central park area
Rockefeller Center -- go to the top of the Rock
Times Square at night (do a dinner nearby and or play)
911 Memorial
Guggenheim Museum
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Museum of Modern Art

See the sights -- ask the waiters questions on jazz bars/clubs, etc. Too many to list without getting yourself crazy drunk in the subject.

Definitely see a broadway show (Broadway Tickets | Broadway Shows | Theater Tickets | Broadway.com) and definitely check on a baseball game, even if you don't care for the sport -- try and get in the mood -- it's an eye opener. NY Yankees are playing the Boston Red Sox begining the first Monday night of October & the 2d, and 3d (Yankees Schedule | yankees.com: Schedule).

Have fun -- the last time the wife and I made a trip there was a few years ago; stayed across from Central Park at the Essex House, Jumeirah and could walk (didn't) to Carnigie Hall. Great downtown location.

Envious.

Best

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 09-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM

All, I am thinking late September should be a perfect time for a stroll and or a picnic in Central Park! If Kev and and Ange are going to be at the Met or the Guggenheim, Central Park is at their feet. Now where to get provisions? Zabar's? No that's west side, and Dean and Deluca's is way downtown...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Just Pure Lucky

John -- don't worry yourself to death. There are plenty of mom n' pops along the ways in NYC and food is everywhere ---stop by for lunch at a place that looks appealing in both appearance and menu.

Think and schedule ahead dinner seats, especially if one is dressing up.

Our stay at the Essex house, was a short walk to the subway & on the way, there were 5 or 6 places to eat -- some standups, others with tables/chairs. We never stressed about a meal.

Best

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 AM

Kev, when you are in NY don't forget to check out the best steakhouse in the world - Peter Luger's. Also go to Katz's Deli (scene from When Harry Met Sally) and order the Reuben burger.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 AM

Righto, great suggestion guys, really appreciate the attention, apparently, so far, I'm there for 2 months at the last count in expeditions & I'll put on 15 kilos
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Righto, great suggestion guys, really appreciate the attention, apparently, so far, I'm there for 2 months at the last count in expeditions & I'll put on 15 kilos
Now you're getting in the right frame of mind!