Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos

Hi marc, great as the ref 150 may sound, arent you giving up a whole lot
of power with this amplifier change?
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. I will take a look at the link re cable elevators.

I have been going through a bit of a change, well ok upgrade recently. I am now using the Ref40 with the cd8. My speakers are Martin Logan Summit X. So I dont really need all the power to drive the panels. Also I really want a tube preamp.

My understanding is that the Ref150 (and Ref250 which I don't have the funds for) are built using the same technology as the ref preamp. So it should be rather special. Has anyone got the same equipment? Interesting to hear feedback.

Thank you
Marc.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Has anyone compared the Ref150 to the Ref250's? A lot of people preferred the 110 to the 210's. Is that still the case for the new amps?

Also, my Transparent Reference MM2 cables (speaker and interconnects), were set up for solid state equipment. Is it worth sending them back to get re-calibrated? Is there a discernible difference?

Thanks
Marc.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Ref150 ordered 
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Marck1973...congrats on the Ref 150. You are unlikely to get any feedback this early on from folks comparing the Ref 250s to the Ref 150s since the Ref 250s have not been officially launched yet. I believe there are some units making their way to key Audio Research dealers but it is still early on in terms of exposure to the new monoblocks. As for the Transparent MM2 cabling, I would try them as is when the new Ref 150 comes. Give the amps at least 300 hours (ARC recommends 600 hours) for break-in before evaluating the sound. If it is not to your liking then you can always send the MM2s back to get "recalibrated" for the Ref 150 Good luck with the new amp and gorgeous set-up. There are quite a few AA members who own the Ref 40 preamp. You may want to start a new thread soliciting feedback from those who own the Ref 40 and the Ref 150. I notice you have only 4 posts. If you subscibe to AA (very reasonable subscription fee), you will be able to start a new thread immediately. Otherwise, you will have to wait until you posted a certain number of posts before being able to start a new thread. Good luck once again
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck1973 View Post
Ref150 ordered 
Congratulations!!!
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Marck1973, I am, too, using TR Reference MM2 sc calibrated for my Moon amp. I'm about to change amp as well and REF250 is one of my target too. Transparent confirmed to me a week ago that, without recalibration, we
can expect harsh and rolled-off treble when using it with tube amp. This is the reason I might consider
D'agostino Momentum or LAMM ML1.2 instead as they have better compatibility to my sc. Sending the cable back to USA will take time and there is a shipping cost too. Of course when buying this sc I thought Moon would be my last amplifier .

Last edited by TOGA; 08-08-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Marck -

Congrats on the Ref150. I had a limited listening session with the Ref150 a couple of months ago and found it to be a beautiful sounding amp. It was being fed by the ARC CD8, Ref5 and drove the Wilson Sashas. Again, a very short session but my impressions of the amp were very positive.

I'm sure you are going to be very happy!

Mike
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Many thanks for all your replies.

I will be getting my new amp at the end of the month. I have also decided to have my cables re-calibrated. Considering the equipment I have invested in it will definitely be worth it.

I will look at joining the forum (when back from vacation) and post a new thread re Ref150 vs Ref250.

I am also going to try the Shunyata DFE's.

Thanks
M.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck1973 View Post
Has anyone compared the Ref150 to the Ref250's? A lot of people preferred the 110 to the 210's. Is that still the case for the new amps?

Also, my Transparent Reference MM2 cables (speaker and interconnects), were set up for solid state equipment. Is it worth sending them back to get re-calibrated? Is there a discernible difference?

Thanks
Marc.
Ref 250's aren't really out yet to compare...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 AM

I had a listen to the 250s with a pair of Amati Futuras but the room was so so, so I am reserving judgement until I hear them properly.