AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM

Default Pictures!

So, here are some of my weak attempts at photos, which really don't do this thing justice. Sorry about the quality and the sizing - I tried to resize them to the max permitted on the pop up box, but they may not be right.

The second and third photos illustrate the tuning eye, on the same digital station (91.9), with the eye getting closer to a nice tight tune. You can actually see the eye starting to close when you are a notch or two away from the station (e.g., in this example at 91.8 or 92.0). I'll have to admit it's a really wonderful graphical effect - of course, you can do this with normal meters, but it's not close to being nearly as cool (in my view).

I renamed the source on my pre-amp (as shown on one of the shots). I was running it for a few days on best buy special cables, but a certain WW dealer fixed that with a pair of platinum balanced and a silver eclipse pc - which really helped.

The good news is that I've sat here for about an hour and a half just listening to free jazz over the airwaves while doing this and it sounds fabulous. When I got back into audio, I was convinced that a tuner was the last source component I'd ever need due to the purported "death of FM", and now I use it more than any other. That will change as the newness wears off, of course, but right now, it's my main component.

If you're really excited about FM and like to read, check out "All the Light I Cannot See" - a great World War II historical fiction piece that revolves around radios. I read it (out of pure coincidence) when I was debating about this thing, and it put me over the edge.

Weirdcuba

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02077 s.jpg (45.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02079 s.jpg (74.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02080 s.jpg (13.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02087 s.jpg (20.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 11-01-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Enlarged photo.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Default MD-205 Signal Sleuth

Well, I just wired up the MD-205 Signal Sleuth, and it worked like a charm! I couldn't get a great jazz station for which I had a very STRONG signal without a bunch of noise, so I figured I would give the sleuth a try. Backed off the RF Gain for that signal and now it sounds perfect, which was the primary reason I got the sleuth (I'm in Atlanta, and all of the stations are close by). I'll report back more fully after I've used it for a while, but it passed the test for that initial station - which was the only test it had to pass (that and not interfering with the sound quality, which it doesn't alter at all).

FM! I just can't believe how enjoyable a tuner can be.

Weird Cuba
Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Weird Cuba.......Good to hear the Magnum Dynalab MD-205 Signal Sleuth delivered on your issue. I own one myself and it does quite a good job at amplifying distant signals. I live in a rural area where broadcast towers for most of the stations I'm interested in tuning are located between 25 and 60 miles from my Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM antennas. I have two ST-2's, one installed at either end on my highest roof peaks, 28' above ground level, and each serving a separate tuner (MR88 and MR85). The Magnum Dynalab MD-205 Signal Sleuth helps my MR85 receive several stations that would otherwise be unlistenable or unable to tune at all. The Signal Sleuth is a very good product.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-10-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:44 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
FM! I just can't believe how enjoyable a tuner can be.
Weirdcuba,
Congratulations on the Magnum Dynalab MD-205. I have one upstairs and it works like a charm. I agree with you on FM. I listen to an independent FM station that's providing me with more new music than any other source I own. If I purchased all the CDs I've added to my Amazon wish list after hearing new artists on my MR88, I'd need to build another room to hold them. Enjoy the MC-205.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 PM

I love the tuning eye. I had the 106T and it was cool operating it. I was at MD getting it serviced though and ended up trading it in on a MD-209, as I was looking to upgrade my amplification at that time. I still miss the eye though !
Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Riffer,

Tell me about your MD-209. Cost? What speakers you're pairing it with? How's the tuner in it? Overall impressions as this is a piece I am seriously considering.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
Riffer,

Tell me about your MD-209. Cost? What speakers you're pairing it with? How's the tuner in it? Overall impressions as this is a piece I am seriously considering.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Cost - I had a very generous trade in a dealt directly with the factory and the owner, so I don't think I can really come up with a number.

I have it with Totem Arro's due to space limitations. The MD-209 has plenty of excess power. I have a large fund for speaker upgrades, but I am loath to spend a lot of money on speakers in such a limited space. Maybe if Aerial Acoustics gets a dealer in the Torronto area I would change my mind

Tuner has the MD-108T's Rf section, and it is very good. The MD-209 replaced a MD-106T and Simaudio Moon i-5 combo and I would say the sound of the MD-209 is very similar to the combo with a lot more "body" to the music. A lot of it is obviously the extra power into the notoriously hard to drive Arro's, but it still was quite an improvement.

I would rate the DAC just below my Audio-gd Master 7. It just lacks that extra bit of richness that the Audio-gd has. I would note that a friend of mine picked up a used 108T that had the DAC board that was incidental to the transaction, as he was in it for the tuner. He tried it and considered getting rid of his Levinson DAC, but came to the same conclusion in the end - the Levinson just had a little "extra". I would say, given that the DAC upgrade is half the price of the Audio-gd or a used Levinson, so quite good for the price. Also, the USB is input is a nice simple one with no drivers to load and all that nonsense. I use it in preference to the Audio-gd's rather mundane USB-32.

I was at MD this summer to get some repairs done to the display and had some sort of Cap and tube upgrade done. It was a definite improvement in my purely subjective tests. It could also just as well been the placebo effect of finally being able to read the display after a couple of years having a broken one

I definitely recommend the MD-209. In a used one, I would keep to more recent examples. I had the display fail twice. On the second repair, they seemed to add some resistors or something. It's possible that MD has sourced a new display part. No big deal for me, as I am a half hour drive away in non-rush hour, but I wouldn't want to be without the unit for a month while it ships overseas.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 PM

Any one out there done this Signature Edition Board upgrade - worth 2 grand!

I am looking for some input on this upgrade.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg signature 1.jpg (87.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Signature Upgrade.jpg (93.0 KB, 53 views)

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by jdandy; 05-21-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: enlarge photos
Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Still looking for input on this upgrade. I have moved from all black mc gear to all gold accuphase and the blue lights and black face plate of the 108T have to go (although the 108t stays - still my favorite sounding source by far).

So, if I send it back to md to swap those aesthetic items, do I do the upgrade at the same time? I say this after just finishing an incredible listening session with the 108T (jazz classics, on WABE in Atlanta).
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......That's a pricey upgrade, but knowing the quality of the Magnum Dynalab tuners, particularly the 108T, I have a feeling it would be a worthwhile addition. Since you are already planning to ship it in for a new faceplate and knobs, that would be a perfect time to get the upgrade installed. I'm thinking if you don't get the upgrade and get the tuner back home with the new faceplate, you will be kicking yourself for not going for the Signature Edition board.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A