AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 AM

Default Shindo/vinyl users

Hi Omodo,

I have an audiograil pearl finish garrard 301 also in a Russ colinson cherry plinth, with a custom made bronze platter(12kg) supported by a massive custom bearing and the 800g grey shindo lead cloth mat. A cardas rewired and refurbished sme3012 with either Emt xsd 15 or denon 103 into a bob's devices blue 1131 step up. Your solid chassis must be awesome! How does it compare to a stock 301?

Best regards
Tristan
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
'Reads' like an interesting 'table ! Too bad we can't see it, hint, hint.....
Plinth prior to finishing, showing vertical laminations of solid cherry.

'Solid' 301 mounted with Apparition tonearm. Not so sure about the polished platter , may get it anodised black in the future.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
beautiful system, and nice tonearm
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
I have an audiograil pearl finish garrard 301 also in a Russ colinson cherry plinth, with a custom made bronze platter(12kg) supported by a massive custom bearing
Hi Tristan

Was your platter and bearing upgrade from PAC ? (precision Audio Components) Did it make much of a difference? I have been thinking about a platter upgrade for my 401 and just happened to be looking at the PAC stuff online.

Thanks

Doug
Accessories. Mr T. Shindo + Auditorium Cables.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Shindo/vinyl user

Hi Doug,
The platter and bearing is not from PAC but from Stefano bertoncello aka two good ears. The difference is enormous, the sound is clearer, kind of like removing a veil. The bass is more organic and 3 dimensional. I forgot to mention that it comes with a shindo like bronze clamp too.

Tristan
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérôme W View Post
JC,
One of my dream is the Platine, the "big" one, not the "small" Nouvelle, although I'm sure that the Nouvelle sounds very good too !

Ok the big one.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Hi Doug,
The platter and bearing is not from PAC but from Stefano bertoncello aka two good ears. The difference is enormous, the sound is clearer, kind of like removing a veil. The bass is more organic and 3 dimensional. I forgot to mention that it comes with a shindo like bronze clamp too.
Tristan

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in thinking that these platters / bearings made by Two Good Ears was a very limited run and are no longer available? In which case I may have to look into the PAC bearings from the UK.

Doug
Accessories. Mr T. Shindo + Auditorium Cables.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Shindo/ vinyl

Hi Doug,

It may still be available, you can try to contact him. He offers good support and his designs are based on his many years of experience with the garrard 301. I think he has the solid chassis from classic hifi uk. I thought his platter with a larger surface area concentrated in the centre and the massive weight is superior to that of the PAC . Although the bronze platter rings like a bell when I flick it with my finger but with the shindo mat, the ringing is eliminated. Just my humble opinion.

Tristan
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoug View Post
Tristan

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in thinking that these platters / bearings made by Two Good Ears was a very limited run and are no longer available? In which case I may have to look into the PAC bearings from the UK.

Doug
Email Stefano. He sent me one last month in lovely raw bronze. It's a work of art, but very heavy. Stefano, by the way, is also a very very nice guy who you will be happy to count as an audio bud.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM

In every design the components have been carefully matched to fit together. To go beyound a border with some isolated components could kill those matching.
To me, Stefanos bearing and platter design is something of an overkill to the small Garrard aluminum structure and motor. It is like building a player with EMT 927 platter and bearing to match an undersized motor and body structure. Some people would say it sound better than the original 301 but the harmonized structure of components has gone away.
Ken Shindo knows what he has done. To make a 301 sing it takes more effort as to build the heaviest platter and bearing. So many components have to be tuned the right way and matched together, its a complicate job not so many people are capable of doing.