AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

FormulaFire - Welcome to AA!!

You will notice a huge difference going from the power amps in your 3803 to outboard amps by Emotiva. There is no question. I added a Sherborn 1500 to my Denon 3300 many years ago and the change was dramatic. More slam, better vocals, more clarity , more musical. The amps in my Denon sounded thin by comparison. You will see the same thing.

You could use an XPA 2 and an XPA 3 and be in for $1500. Or an XPA-5 for $900. Randy said it best in his post, above. Emotiva is great gear for HT use, but there is plenty better out there. His beautiful VK-600SE is a great example, and retails now for approx $13,000.

If you are interested in total lifecycle cost, instead of lowest first cost, there are other, better options. If you are so inclined, you can buy used high end gear. If you buy smart, your investment will even appreciate over time. Especially McIntosh.

I have taken this approach, and have been able to sell my gear for what I paid for it, making total cost of ownership ZERO, or the cost of capital, which is pretty low. Sometimes I even make a nickel, but that's not important.

Internet direct gear, on the other hand, will depreciate and be of interest only to the relatively small on-line community of followers of that specific brand.

Again, welcome to AA!

Regards,

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes. Tom, thanks for the valuable insight. As you say, I am mainly into the Home Theaters aspects of the amps. I most likely with go with a stereo amp for my mains, then the 5.1 for the surrounds. That way I'll have a little versatility. Money is certainly an issue for this 28 year old with a house payment
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
He could get a nice Theta Dreadnaught I for about 2k 400 watts into 4 ohm
No...he cannot buy that one because I just bought it (the one on Audiogon). I'm picking it up this afternoon since the seller is local! This is gonna replace my MC-126 since I need more power.

One recommendation to the person looking for the amp: ATI amps (new and B stock) are on sale at ClassicAudioParts.com. ClassicAudioParts is actually ATI, but they sell on Audiogon and other places under that name. Full warranty. They also have a Theta amp (100wx5) which is new with huge savings (ATI bought Theta a few years ago).

Can't comment on Emotiva since I've never listened to it.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFire94 View Post
So I was planning on running a stereo amp to the 2 fronts, then 5.1 for the center and surrounds
FormulaFire94, welcome aboard!

I use a stereo amp (BAT VK-600SE) for my right and left mains and an Emotiva MPS-1 amp (Class H, 200 watts per channel) for the remaining 5 channels. It works very well. I had gone from a Denon 3805 to the Emotiva separates with a big improvement in sound quality, but the BAT gear is a whole different world (I also use a BAT preamp). As I said above, Emotiva does it for me on HT, but is lacking on music.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Well I found a nice deal on a 7 channel Theta Dreadnaught. I may just have to splurge a little and go for that.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Well I found a nice deal on a 7 channel Theta Dreadnaught. I may just have to splurge a little and go for that.
If you do, please be sure to report your impressions.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I just got back from picking up my Theta Dreadnaught (5 channel). This thing is a MONSTER. Currently, it's in my car's trunk as I can't carry that thing myself. Waiting for a friend to come over and help.

It is a beautiful amp...even in my trunk. Wonder if i can hook it up to my car stereo in the meantime
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post

You could use an XPA 2 and an XPA 3 and be in for $1500. Or an XPA-5 for $900. Randy said it best in his post, above. Emotiva is great gear for HT use.

Internet direct gear, on the other hand, will depreciate and be of interest only to the relatively small on-line community of followers of that specific brand.
How about some used Emotiva gear then, that way price of admission is even lower and the OP's friend would likely break even if he decides he doesn't like them. Sometimes, once you have made up your mind you simply have to find out for yourself. I will add that they are actually great for HT and fair for music. I'm running a RPA-1 for front left and right and an XPA-3 for rear and center. Would I buy them again? Probably, only now I would just get an XPA-5 now that I have a dedicated 2 channel set up.
But what is likely to really mess me up is when I decide for hook up the Modwright KWA-100 in place of the RPA-1. Question then becomes what do I do with the remaining three channels........................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM

I own Emotive and McIntosh amps. My opinion is Emotive looks and feels cheap. But It plays fantastic. The XPA-1 is a winner, like the Oppo player years ago for sacd's, and the original Sierra-1 speakers.
I was ahead of the frugal curve. No disappointments!

Last edited by KingRT; 02-16-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
I own Emotive and McIntosh amps. My in opinion is Emotive looks and feels cheap. But It plays fantastic. The XPA-1 is a winner, like the Oppo player years ago for sacd's, and the original Sierra-1 speakers.
I was ahead of the frugal curve. No disappointments!
Agreed. Worth every penny and more.