AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM

Hi Ile_D_Arz,
many thanks for sharing those pics, always interesting.
I do know Shindo for 20 years and have always been in love with his gear, preferably the older models like yours. If you have ever trouble with them I can repair it with original parts, no problem for me as I know many of his gear.

Interesting tube combination, so it is 12AX7 phono stage, 6072 and EL84 line stage tubes, WE 412A rectifier tube (he has changed this later to 6X4, wow, really rare today). Intersting too, that EL84 has many applications and was excessivly used in the golden tube days as radio power tubes, so many of the "experts" would not give a high rating on this tube as preamp output tube. Shindo uses it and for sure he knows how it has to be used to sound very good in this application.

Nowadays original WE 185A sells for high$$$ so that shows the rarety of the parts inside and its quality. He surely hasnt unlimited stock on those parts but it was a surprise already that he has been able to build a (limited?) series of preamps with it, so that tells something about his massive stock of parts those days. With later Petrus he changed output trans to different types.
I know two versions of 300B power amp, the earlier one with four oil caps instead of three and without a cover above them. Wow, what an amplifier and what a nice tone this was being able to reproduce with such intimacy and power.
Here is a little list of Shindos early works, found in japanese.

Shindo Laboratory Co., Ltd. was established in 1977.
1978: development of RA124D vacuum tube mono amplifier Offering RA1474 before class.
1980: Offering A124B mono amplifier output 28W, output cattle out of the U.S. TRIAD products.
1981: the launch of RA186 amplifier for a mono output 25W, Western Electric 300B vacuum tube, TRIAD transformer.
1982: RA324 and RA252 mono after the offering of MA288S Cantabile amplifier also debut. 1983: launch of four models of mono grade: RA42 output of 10W with Western Electric Double pole 42; 6B4G of output 10W, 6.3V tube with 2A3 6B4G; RA342II output 20W, with EL34 tubes; the RA349-type output 10W, Western Electric 349A tube.
1983: Offer 300B single-ended output 8W Western Electric 300B tube; launched RA1561 equipped with built-in MC phono amplifier stage.
1984: 101 and 77 MC phono boost the market.
1985: year one breath launched multiple new machine are level before ALLEGRO 604S, the level before RA1474II, after GRAZIOSO EL34, output 10W, CONCERTO mono output 8W with Siemens Ed triode The push-pull Class A operation, the 77-type, 25 type the mono level output 25W Finally, there CANTABILE mono-level output 22W with EL34 vacuum tube.
1986: Offering F2A SINHONIA mono amplifier output 40W Siemens F2A vacuum tube.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

This information is so interesting. Have either of you had a chance to compare the sound of this rate vintage Shindo to that of the new upper tier Shindo.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Kev313,
Shindo has gone a long way since he started his company and he has gone a longer way in electronics before. I once met him personally and did study his art for a long time.
Alltogether it is an evolutionary thing that happened with his gear in terms of circuits (complexity levels), parts (mainly depending on his stock and availability on the market,I suppose) and his building technique that changed over time.
Every single of the above aspects will change the sound of an amp, so if newer amps are completely different to the old ones the sound has changed completely.
There was a time in the 90s when he changed from NOS transformers to Lundahl new stock transformers (which he uses today intensively). So if you change this part allone it transforms the whole amp in sound. He changed resistor types, too. the circuits became more and more complex, with added silicium voltage regulation for anode voltage today (first no regulated power supplys, than tube regulated, than a mix of both and now only silicium regulated power supplys).
So every aspect is good for a lengthy discussion on forums of pros and cons.
A wrong inplementation of each change would make an amp sound very bad, but he managed to sound the amps still good.
What he wasnt been able (of course) is to duplicate is the sound of his old gear and some could think that this wasnt his approach because he is on a trip of evolution on tube electronis that never will come to an end. We dont know about that.
But who has the ability of comparative listening new vs. old will come to the conclusion that he lost things and gained new things in favour of the lost ones. You cant have the cake and eat it. Its a lost world of Shindo sound as its a lost world of WE sound as there are many lost worlds of historic sound that will never come again because the parts will be lost, the people and their thinking will be lost. Shindo is one of the rare ones who is able to transfer tube audio electronics into art. And that has never changed in his company history.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Someone with an appropriate level of posts could start a vintage Shindo thread.

Personally I have had the 300b, RA186, Sinhonia, 6l6, 349A and Corton amps.

Among the preamps the Monbrison and currently have the Model 77 and RA-1857.

I have had the player system and the 101 transformer.

Surprisingly of the amps...one of my favourites was the 349A. If we start a vintage thread I can post photos.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM

New thread started.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 AM

Hey Schmitz-
Where are you located ?
New to Shindo myself, however would love to get more info from you-
I guess you're not a member or whatever you have to do for me to PM you-
Thanks,
David