AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 05-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
David.......The Soloist Premier SE is not just a surge protector. You need to understand that surge protection is a secondary performance feature of the Soloist Premier SE, and only performs that task when a spike is present on your circuit. It is the balanced power coupler, the balun that is filtering common and differential mode noise from the AC line continuously that is the primary feature. This filter is not the last word on noise reduction of the AC line, but is effective within its designed parameters. When the Soloist Premier SE is used in conjuction with a Power Plant Premier the noise reduction is cumulative.

Obviously, the Power Plant Premier is a far more complex piece of power distribution equipment, capable of completely regenerating the AC sine wave, reducing total harmonic distortion on the AC line output to almost infinitesimally low levels, and regulating the new pure sine wave output voltage irrespective of the input line voltage level. This is a notable achievement. The added benefit of placing a Soloist Premier SE before the PPP is to essentially help reduce the work load of the PPP by removing some of the grunge on the AC line in advance.

I want to remind you once again, everything you hear coming out of your loudspeakers begins as an AC sine wave coming out of your home's wall receptacle. There is nothing esoteric or magical about what happens as the AC is used in our preamps, amps, sources, and speakers, but one thing has been proven, noise reduction on the AC line is audible, and measurable. The cleaner and more stable the AC power is to your equipment, the cleaner and more pure your sonic presentation will be. This improvement can be heard, particularly to the enthusiast who pays close attention to their sound system's performance.
Thanks Dan for the technological clarity of why I and others are hearing what is quite noticable. Most of us know our systems and each CD intimately and our sound memory is reinforced because of how carefully and attentively we listen. I had been monitoring my outlets very carefully the past few weeks since my purchase of the Kill A Watt. This includes paying close attention to the PPP's Input and Output displays for THD's and Voltage. The output voltage reads 120 more consistently on the Kill A Watt and the PPP meters and the THD's are even lower than before. Some might say that Florida Power and Light improved their power grids coincidentally with my installation of the 2 Soloists but I tend to credit the PS Audio product.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't know a thing!

well.... 12 hours later I do hear differences. The female voices are less congested but have some bite to therm, still not there yet. The staging is moving back and rising. The bass is tightening but still not there yet. These are all characters that are burned into my mind with very familiar tracks that I am playing. I know my system well and these are things I listen for while comparing my system to others. The immediate change was for the worst but it is changing and it is not like I am getting used to the new sound, I am focusing on specific tonal changes. This is one of those arguments that always ends with we agree to disagree.

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
All you guys are great. And I really don't want to stir the pot, but I have to agree with David on this one. I think some of us(me included), convince ourselves that an improvement was made, because we replace something with something else that costs more money. I replaced my outlets recently too. Did I hear an improvement? My mind tells me I did, but i doubt it....My system sounded pretty damn good before I did it. I know my plugs stayed in tighter.
Sorry guys........
Mike.......One only needs to look at your signature to see why your system is sounding "pretty damn good." You have premium gear including, I might add, a Power Plant Premier. At the level you are presently enjoying reproduced music, advances in reproduction don't come in leaps and bounds, they arrive in increments, often small, as we pay closer attention to all of the essentials. I think sometimes we expect tweaks to jump out at us paying huge sonic dividends. That would be wonderful if it were true, but in fact it is the composite of all the tweaks, big and little, that create the results we ultimately appreciate as we listen to and enjoy our systems. As we grow accustomed to our fine audio gear we forget just how good we really have it. The high-end audio sound we listen to each day becomes the norm, so when a new tweak comes along that peaks our interest enough to purchase and install it, we have high hopes for a great bounding forward in performance. We want more. It is human nature. In this light it is easy to fall short of fully absorbing an improvement just rendered to us with the latest addition. I believe the greatest realization of what is being delivered by the sum total of our systems would come if we began removing things one item at a time. I don't think we would get very far at all before our ears would begin to tell us we were headed in the wrong direction.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-31-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
Yes, she says it is "Selective", but she decides on the "Selection".
Howard.......That's a great smoke screen. As long as we continue to promote that belief, OUR selective hearing can remain undeterred.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-30-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Dan, you forgot one other thing the Soloist SE can do...

They can fly; I had 60 of them one day, and the next thing I knew they were all gone!
Ivan.......It is apparent from those sales numbers, especially in such a short period of time, that many members fully understand the value the Soloist Premier SE represents, and want that advantage in their power distribution scheme for the increased audio performance it provides, plus the added surge protection. I have four of them installed, and feel comfortable knowing they are performing their designed tasks.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Agreed, I love those SE's I use them all over my house.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Here is a look inside the PS Audio Soloist Premier SE.

__________________________________________________ _______________-

Here is a look at a noise spectrum analysis of the power at an AC outlet, and then a noise spectrum analysis with the Soloist Premier SE on the same circuit. Notice the reduced noise on the AC line across the board.

FFT plot of common mode noise from regular receptacle.

FFT plot of common mode noise from Soloist Premier.

Photos from DarqueKnight at Club Polk

You can read DarqueKnight - Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 6: PS Audio Soloist Special Edition here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79010

Last edited by jdandy; 05-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:01 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Great pics & info; thanks Dan.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

The PS Audio Soloist Premier SE also includes the Power Port Premier outlet, and sold independent of the Soloist Premier for $99.00. No doubt you are saying to yourself, wow $99.00 for one receptacle? Before jumping to conclusions think about this. The materials, assembly techniques, gripping power, and ability to deliver current with low resistance is far superior to any standard grade receptacle. The Power Port Premier’s contacts are cast from the highest purity non-ferrous material available, pure OFC copper and beryllium to maintain excellent grip, not the low copper, high zinc material typical on a standard outlet. By keeping the pure copper content as high as possible, the base materials found in a Power Port Premier are the finest made. Then, the cast OFC beryllium contacts of the Power Port Premier are plated with pure gold through an electroless process. Electroless gold plated deposits are superior to the more common electrolytic plating that produces uneven thickness variations. Electroless gold plated deposits are uniform in thickness around corners, on both sides of a part, even on the inside walls of small holes. This is just one aspect of why the Power Port Premier has been engineered to be the finest possible product made today. Once the electroless gold plating has been added to the OFC byrillium connectors, each Power Port Premier goes through a final step before insertion into the body of the receptacle. Each contact is hand polished to improve the surface smoothness and hence an increase in surface area and better conductivity.

Added to the already amazing build quality of this Power Port Premier receptacle, the body of the Power Port Premier is cast out of a state-of-the art dielectric material known as PBT (Polybutylene Terephthalate) rather than the standard plastic or Nylon. PBT is a semi-crystalline material that has one of the best dielectric characteristics for moldable material and is superior to even the standard Power Port’s glass filled high temperature nylon material.

When you consider the total of the design, parts, specialized materials, and quality assembly, the PS Audio Soloist Premier SE is quite a value. There has been some serious attention paid to creating a high-end product for the audio enthusiast that adds several valuable benefits in helping achieve the superb audio performance we strive to reproduce in our homes. The PS Audio Soloist Premier SE is an essential component to premium quality power distrubution for a high-end audio system, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by jdandy; 05-30-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I can understand " break in" where electronics are concerned to a certain extent. I am not bashing the soloist SE, I can understand the value in surge protection built in to the outlet. If you are using a Soloist with a PPP how do you explain being able to hear a audible difference since the PPP regenerates the AC ?
David.......Did I answer your question? Did you find any additional useful information with respect to what the Soloist Premier SE does, and why it would be an improvement to a high-end sound system?

Last edited by jdandy; 05-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.