AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
All users are recommended to download this version.

Ron
Just updated all is good.
However if your screen is upside down after update like mine was, don’t panic just recalibrate your screen, instructions are on the PSA web site.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 AM

I think I’m just gonna hang with v1. I have no bridge and don’t feel the need for the volume settings. Snowmass still sounds amazing.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:31 PM

Still waiting for the Snowmass version for my DSjr...
Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 AM

My DirectStream Sr. left Boulder today, arrives tomorrow. I was told it might not show until February by my dealer. Hope it has Snowmass preloaded. PS Audio site states new orders are not shipping untl May 2019. Seems the sale discount was a success with Snowmass firmware excitement.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 AM

You will be very pleased. It is a terrific DAC.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Spare the white gloves. Check the inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
You will be very pleased. It is a terrific DAC.
It was a bit of a struggle trying to troubleshoot the SPDIF Tosolink was Dead on Arrival. No light engine. Managed to jury rig a coax stream conversion of my planned source . Love the sound so far, wider an deeper. Better the resolution more amazing it sounds A bit disappointing lack of input checks for final quality control. Seems if you get it quick. Don’t expect to get a unit that works 100 percent its too late for RMA I will call Monday I hope they just ship a fully functional unit versus playing the waiting game. I was planning a Christmas party to show off the improved sound.

Last edited by Vmax; 12-08-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 PM

The November offer was insane. Guys who waited till the last day now have ETA of May 2019 for delivery!!!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
It was a bit of a struggle trying to troubleshoot the SPDIF Tosolink was Dead on Arrival. No light engine. Managed to jury rig a coax stream conversion of my planned source . Love the sound so far, wider an deeper. Better the resolution more amazing it sounds A bit disappointing lack of input checks for final quality control. Seems if you get it quick. Don’t expect to get a unit that works 100 percent its too late for RMA I will call Monday I hope they just ship a fully functional unit versus playing the waiting game. I was planning a Christmas party to show of the improved sound.
Ah shoot. Sorry to hear this. So the toslink is down but other connections work. Yah. I’d have none of that. I think I’ve connected everything but I2S. Did it come delivered w Snowmass V2? Important if you got a bridge.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes I am not thinking Paul McGowan’s delivering the experience since 1974 motto included non functioning new in box hardware. If you have or get a new DS Sr. check all the inputs since it appears they bypassed that QC step.

The unit did have Snowmass V2 3.04 on board. I do not have a bridge, but may get one. Trying to determine if cat 5 beats usb with the DS. Whether to airplay album art to big screen or drive it with a MAC Mini. What aremconnect experiences versus using streaming apps and PC interface. The cost a mac mini probably comes in less than a BridgeII. What sounds better USB or the Bridge?

I will say Ted Smith’s programing is amazing to make digital sound like vinyl. I did go back and listen to some streamed songs with the internal DAC on the MX150. Theere is a night and day difference. With a deeper and wider sound stage.
The lack of noise and ability to make a source I labeled as crap before with grating highs now sound mellow and natural.

I think my spouse was more enamored than me hearing background voices in sources she was very enthused. She is a vocals listener that knows every word so she enjoyed the natural voices.

I was no longer cringing listening to music she would pick that I would previous label a poor source and could enjoy it too.

I am going to have to reload some different RoomPerfect voicings that accentuate highs. Now that Ted Smith’s programming removed the digital has that my system was previously over emphasized I actually found myself wanting to add a few dB of treble on some poor sources. This never would have beena choice previous.

I will say Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Texas Flood simply left me awestruck. The DirectStream will let you push your system to wattage levels you would never do prior without even realizing it. Pulling out all that jitter and eliminating it you can then enjoy the dynamics that reside in the music if your system is capable of it. I do appreciate having power meters since one might not realize how loud your playing. Yes the reproduction is that good with DS and Snowmass. Distortion sounds louder than clean source. So can really push the music dynamics and not realize it.

I can’t wait to experience some symphony music when I can do some critical listening.

Last edited by Vmax; 12-08-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 AM

I use both mconnect and Roon on the Bridge II. Mconnect is a very basic and rather poor interface, but it sounds excellent and let’s me stream the superb Qobuz. Roon is a far superior interface from which I stream Tidal and my library, but it does not support Qobuz. So I am regularly switching between the apps based on my streaming source preference.

I agree with your assessment of the DS sound.