AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
That's a Deusy !

My first holy cow audio experience was with Levinson monos and Apogee mini grands
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
My first holy cow audio experience was with Levinson monos and Apogee mini grands
Doug.....Which ML monos?.......Philip
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX
The 560 with DSD looks to be one to check out. At $6k which is the same price as a McIntosh MDA, but it doesn't do DSD.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...udio-processor
This one has caught my eye as well. Unfortunately, it's not expected until something like the end of this year - so I won't be surprised to see it actually ship a few months after CES 2013. I've asked for additional details from ML about the unit (what chipsets, why 3 USB inputs, etc), but they aren't releasing any additional info yet. Maybe we'll know more at CEDIA.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM

I will be looking at this when it comes out in the fall.

The Mark Levinson № 519 SACD Disc Player

Here is a description of the upcoming player from Mark Levinson's own press materials:

The Mark Levinson № 519 SACD Disc Player is designed for those who demand nothing less than the finest in digital music reproduction. It combines a precision CD/SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) player mechanism with dual 32-bit/192kHz audiophile-grade digital to analog converters to deliver extraordinary fidelity, resolution and musical accuracy. Adding to its versatility, the № 519 also functions as a complete digital preamplifier. It includes four S/PDIF and USB digital inputs, plus XLR and RCA analog and HDMI 1.3, AES/EBU, optical and coaxial S/PDIF outputs and an onboard digital volume control that enable the № 519 to be connected to a stereo or multichannel preamplifier or amplifier. In addition, the № 519 provides direct SACD audio output via its HDMI connection as well as high-resolution LPCM digital audio.

The Mark Levinson № 519’s elegant front panel features dedicated input and volume control knobs, facilitating its use as a digital preamplifier, and includes a USB 2.0 (A) connector to enable future upgrades. Its Ethernet, ML Link, 12V trigger and IR ports enable easy system integration, and the № 519 is supplied with a remote control that operates all its functions as well as those of select Mark Levinson preamplifiers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ML No519_front.jpg (33.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjl View Post
Doug.....Which ML monos?.......Philip
Phillip i couldn't tell you... this has been twenty years ago
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw@cn View Post
I had to get the caps replaced on my 335. It was under warranty and received another 10 years warranty on the replacements. I sometimes get the itch to replace it but after auditioning other amps, it stays.
Failing caps is a common problem with 33x series amps. They replace them with other brand which is more reliable.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM

I just love the massive size of the 33.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Mark Levinson Amps

Recently traded my Halcro DM68's for a pair of ML 53 monoblocks. For the past 25 years (other than the excursion with Halcro the past 6 years), I've only owned either Krell or ML solid state amps. I've loved them all. So I'm faced with a decision at upgrade time: Try another brand or go back and look at Krell / ML after major company realignments. Looked at Krell first. Purchased by financial investers, not an audio company. This is a red flag to me. Already knew D'Agostino was gone. The Evolution monoblocks were "discontinued" according to the company. The entire top end of their amp line was very long in the tooth. Too much risk there for the time being at least.

Back to ML. Lots of recent product releases. Owned by an audio company. Been stable for some time. Had a dealer in town. He had both the 33H's and a pair of 53's. The 53's were set up and driving big speakers with good sound. Couldn't make any critical judgments because my front end is better then the demo room's. Also different acoustics etc., etc. The sound was detailed, weighty and well imaged. The demo convinced me that the amps still had the soul of the ML house sound. How much I didn't know. Next thing I know the wallet was out, my eyes rolled back and I don't remember anything else except the way the wife was looking at me that night.

The amps are still breaking in but they are already the equal of the Halcro's, the best amps I ever owned. I've always been a solid state guy that values imaging and accuracy over all else. The ML's deliver just like they always did.

They run cool, much cooler than any Krell I ever owned. As far as I can tell, they put out enough power to drive sand. Absolutely no issues with my 800D's. The cats are incensed as there is no good place on the towers to sit and get warm. They voted for a Krell solution. They'll just have to deal with it. I'm a happy ML fan.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Recently traded my Halcro DM68's for a pair of ML 53 monoblocks. For the past 25 years (other than the excursion with Halcro the past 6 years), I've only owned either Krell or ML solid state amps. I've loved them all. So I'm faced with a decision at upgrade time: Try another brand or go back and look at Krell / ML after major company realignments. Looked at Krell first. Purchased by financial investers, not an audio company. This is a red flag to me. Already knew D'Agostino was gone. The Evolution monoblocks were "discontinued" according to the company. The entire top end of their amp line was very long in the tooth. Too much risk there for the time being at least.

Back to ML. Lots of recent product releases. Owned by an audio company. Been stable for some time. Had a dealer in town. He had both the 33H's and a pair of 53's. The 53's were set up and driving big speakers with good sound. Couldn't make any critical judgments because my front end is better then the demo room's. Also different acoustics etc., etc. The sound was detailed, weighty and well imaged. The demo convinced me that the amps still had the soul of the ML house sound. How much I didn't know. Next thing I know the wallet was out, my eyes rolled back and I don't remember anything else except the way the wife was looking at me that night.

The amps are still breaking in but they are already the equal of the Halcro's, the best amps I ever owned. I've always been a solid state guy that values imaging and accuracy over all else. The ML's deliver just like they always did.

They run cool, much cooler than any Krell I ever owned. As far as I can tell, they put out enough power to drive sand. Absolutely no issues with my 800D's. The cats are incensed as there is no good place on the towers to sit and get warm. They voted for a Krell solution. They'll just have to deal with it. I'm a happy ML fan.

Cincy
Cincy
Nice write up.

That is a very nice set-up you have there. I just can't get myself to consider the Opus cables even though they sound so good.

Jim
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Cincy
Nice write up.

That is a very nice set-up you have there. I just can't get myself to consider the Opus cables even though they sound so good.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Re: Opus - Audiogon is your friend.
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management