AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
I ordered a set of Audioquest Rocket 88 speaker cables (72v DBS) and a Earth (72v DBS) Interconnect (this replaces the Colorado in the Audioquest line) with Teflon Dielectric, etc. Just something to tide me over and connect everything until I can make a good decision on what fits well with my new speakers and gear.
Speaking of AQ, I have used Wild Wood SC and Wild Blue Yonder ICs with my GE, and they are an excellent match. Not cheap, however. At a more moderate price, Shunyata Python SC also works well. I did find the AQ copper cables too soft in the bass with the GE, although I have heard the Earth is quite an improvement over the Colorado.

As others have mentioned, the synergy between components will have a big impact, as will the room itself. I have found that the Guarneri Evolution's bass performance is quite sensitive to speaker cables. The challenge is to find a cable that will maximise resolution, and perceived extension, of lower bass, whilst not thinning out the upper mids and treble.

I see from your other posts that you are using a PrimaLuna with EL34 tubes. These tubes have a lovely midrange, but I find them intrinsically soft in the bass, and I would prefer KT120 (or 150s if the amp can run them - maybe not given you have 8) with the GE myself.

So after living with your new system for a while and if you do find you want a little more bass definition, it may be more prudent to try KT120s before buying relatively expensive cables
Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Speaking of AQ, I have used Wild Wood SC and Wild Blue Yonder ICs with my GE, and they are an excellent match. Not cheap, however. At a more moderate price, Shunyata Python SC also works well. I did find the AQ copper cables too soft in the bass with the GE, although I have heard the Earth is quite an improvement over the Colorado. As others have mentioned, the synergy between components will have a big impact, as will the room itself. I have found that the Guarneri Evolution's bass performance is quite sensitive to speaker cables. The challenge is to find a cable that will maximise resolution, and perceived extension, of lower bass, whilst not thinning out the upper mids and treble. I see from your other posts that you are using a PrimaLuna with EL34 tubes. These tubes have a lovely midrange, but I find them intrinsically soft in the bass, and I would prefer KT120 (or 150s if the amp can run them - maybe not given you have 8) with the GE myself. So after living with your new system for a while and if you do find you want a little more bass definition, it may be more prudent to try KT120s before buying relatively expensive cables
Good advice. I have a new set of 8 KT-120s sitting here waiting for me to install them.
Just want to give the speakers, amp and cables some time to run in and also for me to get familiar with the systems sound before I try any further tube or cable changes.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
The challenge is to find a cable that will maximise resolution, and perceived extension, of lower bass, whilst not thinning out the upper mids and treble.
The cables I tried with such character with GE is cardas clear series. I'm using cardas clear light speaker cables.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Listening with Nordost Red Dawn LS speaker Cables and interconnect right now. Seem to prefer the transient snap and clarity they provide with the Primaluna and SF Guarneri combo as opposed to the warmer slightly murkier sound with the Audioquest. Considering the Heimdall 2 or Frey 2 lines too, but my dealer had both speaker cables and interconnect in Red Dawn available for audition so giving them a try to see how they compare to my existing Audioquest Rocket 88 and Earth combo.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Listening with Nordost Red Dawn LS speaker Cables and interconnect right now. Seem to prefer the transient snap and clarity they provide with the Primaluna and SF Guarneri combo as opposed to the warmer slightly murkier sound with the Audioquest. Considering the Heimdall 2 or Frey 2 lines too, but my dealer had both speaker cables and interconnect in Red Dawn available for audition so giving them a try to see how they compare to my existing Audioquest Rocket 88 and Earth combo.
Unlike with earlier series of Nordost cables, the Red Dawn LS are very good performers and consistent with the sound of their more expensive series as you move up the line. Their better series give you an even higher level of performance in both resolution and refinement without any real tradeoffs. Their pre-LS series version of Red Dawn had a very different sound than the Blue Heaven for example, so you could not just move up the line and always be assured of better performance. It was more a matter of system matching and user preferences. Now their performance level is very consistent as you move up in the line, making the upgrade path much easier.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Unlike with earlier series of Nordost cables, the Red Dawn LS are very good performers and consistent with the sound of their more expensive series as you move up the line. Their better series give you an even higher level of performance in both resolution and refinement without any real tradeoffs. Their pre-LS series version of Red Dawn had a very different sound than the Blue Heaven for example, so you could not just move up the line and always be assured of better performance. It was more a matter of system matching and user preferences. Now their performance level is very consistent as you move up in the line, making the upgrade path much easier.
I have ordered a new set of Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnects, speaker cables with Z plugs and a set of Norse Jumpers today.
They are being burned in on a Nordost Vidar machine, so will arrive middle of next week. I think they will really complement and balance the Guarneri EVOs well...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I have ordered a new set of Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnects, speaker cables with Z plugs and a set of Norse Jumpers today. They are being burned in on a Nordost Vidar machine, so will arrive middle of next week. I think they will really complement and balance the Guarneri EVOs well...
Killer system you have assembled. What a transformation. Well done.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM

That will be quite a significant step up in performance compared to the Red Dawn LS, please be sure to let us know your thoughts once you have them installed. Even though they will be already burned in when you get them, there is usually still a bit of settling time after installation until they'll sound their best. Enjoy your exceptional system!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
That will be quite a significant step up in performance compared to the Red Dawn LS, please be sure to let us know your thoughts once you have them installed. Even though they will be already burned in when you get them, there is usually still a bit of settling time after installation until they'll sound their best. Enjoy your exceptional system!
Will do.
Thank you for your kind words.
I'm pretty happy right now.
The EVOs are so well made and generally beautiful, they feel very special indeed.
Kind of like an heirloom piece of equipment. The size seems to be a much better match to my space as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 AM

Can I ask what kind of music you prefer ? The reason I ask is that streophile's review of the evos state that they are strong when listening to classical or acoustic music but week when listening to pop or rock music. I was curios to see if you experience with them validates there thoughts. They are beautiful for Shure and I am glad you are enjoying them. Also, I think you used to have some b&w 805d's ,if I am not mistaken and was wondering how much better the evos are by comparison.