AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Listener in Training

Default MVP 871 -> MVP 901. Thoughts?

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been active here, but with the offer from McIntosh with the current upgrade program, I'm considering replacing the MVP 871, which has been a stalwart for years now.

The 871 is primarily used for CDs and SACDs; less so for DVDs. The 901 has Blu-ray and the DAC is 32-bit vs. 24; not sure how much better (presumably) a 2016 DAC is vs. a circa-2009 DAC.

The other noticeable change is the MVP 871 has multi-channel RCA outputs, and the 901 uses HDMI, with no RCA outputs for 5.1 audio. Maybe 5% of my listening time is with 5.1 SACDs, but I really enjoy it when cranking some "4 walls of sound" discs. I just got "can't refuse" deal a NOS MX151 which will replace the MX136 this coming weekend or the one after that.

Any thoughts or considerations about the HDMI output vs. analog for the 5.1 audio?
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 11-17-2016, 04:53 AM

I read that the next model is in the works which basically mimics the features of the upcoming OPPO player (4K Ultra HD). Since the MVP901 is missing these features I would wait (I am).
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Mvp871 is based on denon dvd 2930ci. It uses the same drive, mpeg decoder and the video board. Mcintosh upgraded the power section and audio section. Audio section has 4 x burr brown pcm1792, one for each pair and another for the dedicated stereo output.

Mvp901 is based on oppo bdt-101t transport. New power section and ess sabre dac chip.

Mx-151 digitizes all of its inputs including 7.1 analog input. There is no point in going in analog into mx-151. Hdmi connection would keep the signal in digital domain and avoid d/a to d/a conversions.

If there is an upcoming uhd player, I would wait on it but if you don't care for video mvp901 is a good transport.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:47 PM

I'd upgrade for two reasons personally:

1. Having the ESS Sabre DAC chipset. It's just my personal opinion but I much prefer that chipset to the Burr Brown. My prior CD/SACD/DVD unit was a Denon 2910 with the Burr Brown set. I now have an Oppo with the ESS Sabre and my DAC has the same chipset. I experienced a nice improvement in SQ when I upgraded.

2. HDMI has come a long way and since the MX151 has HDMI inputs, I'd use that connection for better data transfer if nothing else.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:49 PM

Here is the common opinion

Cirrus logic/crystal: excellent on high frequencies
Wolfson: tight bass, good detail and imaging
Burr brown sigma delta: very good mids, good detail and imaging
Burr. Brown multi bit: very warm mids, tight bass, excellent staging, great detail
Ess sabre: combination of all, excellent bass, a little different on mids(some don't like it)

Mvp871 is a signa delta design. You need to go way back for multibit designs. Ess is cheap and easy to implement. It seems to match or better most dacs.

As I said mx150/151/160 digitizes all incoming analog inputs so no point in going analog. However I doubt the mx accepts dsd over hdmi. Mvp901 will have to convert dsd to pcm. Pcm over hdmi suffers jitter unfortunately. You might want to look into mx-121 or 122 which have true analog pass through( doesn't convert to digital).
Old 11-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Here is the common opinion

Cirrus logic/crystal: excellent on high frequencies
Wolfson: tight bass, good detail and imaging
Burr brown sigma delta: very good mids, good detail and imaging
Burr. Brown multi bit: very warm mids, tight bass, excellent staging, great detail
Ess sabre: combination of all, excellent bass, a little different on mids(some don't like it)

Mvp871 is a signa delta design. You need to go way back for multibit designs. Ess is cheap and easy to implement. It seems to match or better most dacs.

As I said mx150/151/160 digitizes all incoming analog inputs so no point in going analog. However I doubt the mx accepts dsd over hdmi. Mvp901 will have to convert dsd to pcm. Pcm over hdmi suffers jitter unfortunately. You might want to look into mx-121 or 122 which have true analog pass through( doesn't convert to digital).
Thanks for the great insights everyone. Specifically, are the analog stereo inputs digitized on the MX151 as well? That would not make much sense to me, especially the phono inputs.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 11-18-2016, 12:05 PM

My understanding is the MX151 digitizes all inputs. I went with a C500T to avoid this problem for two channel.

I then got a Byston SP3 instead. The Bryston is amazing, but it does not do room correction or Atmos, which for me is a huge pluse! I find something is lost when you move everything to the digital domain. I would rather use room treatments and have a better signal path and better amps on 7.1 then add extra speakers.

The Bryston SP3 was a significant upgrade over the MX119 and is very close to the C500T for two channel.

I still have my MVP-871 for SACS and DVD Audio multi channel and use a MCD1100 for two channel, but I find I use my Oppo 105D and let the Bryston do the decoding most of the time.

The only down side to the Bryston SP3 is the latest version only has HDCP on one HDMI input for my 4K projector. I am getting arround this problem with my Roku Ultra by using a HDFurry Linker which I need anyway since my Sony 4K projector is older. I do not have an Ultra Bluray player yet. I am waiting for the Oppo 205, but I have been feeding 4K from my HTPC through the SP3 for years.

What is amazing about Bryston is how they are to work with. They are continually updating their products and do their best to pass these upgrades on to their customers.

I still have two MX-119's in the great room and the family room being feed by an Oppo 95 and an older Pioneer 09 player and an MX-135 in a box as a backup.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom

Last edited by Chad.Wagner; 11-18-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad.Wagner View Post
My understanding is the MX151 digitizes all inputs. I went with a C500T to avoid this problem for two channel.

I then got a Byston SP3 instead. The Bryston is amazing, but it does not do room correction or Atmos, which for me is a huge pluse! I find something is lost when you move everything to the digital domain. I would rather use room treatments and have a better signal path and better amps on 7.1 then add extra speakers.

The Bryston SP3 was a significant upgrade over the MX119 and is very close to the C500T for two channel.

I still have my MVP-871 for SACS and DVD Audio multi channel and use a MCD1100 for two channel, but I find I use my Oppo 105D and let the Bryston do the decoding most of the time.

The only down side to the Bryston SP3 is the latest version only has HDCP on one HDMI input for my 4K projector. I am getting arround this problem with my Roku Ultra by using a HDFurry Linker which I need anyway since my Sony 4K projector is older. I do not have an Ultra Bluray player yet. I am waiting for the Oppo 205, but I have been feeding 4K from my HTPC through the SP3 for years.

What is amazing about Bryston is how they are to work with. They are continually updating their products and do their best to pass these upgrades on to their customers.

I still have two MX-119's in the great room and the family room being feed by an Oppo 95 and an older Pioneer 09 player and an MX-135 in a box as a backup.
The room perfect needs digital signal therefore mx 150/151/160 digitizes all inputs including phono. If you feed an already digital signal tru hdmi or any of the digital inputs, this doesn't posses an issue. Room correct measures your room curve and apply its inverse to the signal. Technically you should get a flat response after that. I agree with you whether we should leave the signal alone or not. I think it makes sense to get a sub with a room correction software such as jl audio version 2s and ML BF210/212. I would leave the mids and highs alone. Those should be handled with room treatment. Since they are low energy signals, they don't require heavy treatment.

Pioneer 09 is real old school and super cool btw. One of the first THX DVD players ( I think Denon DVD-5000 was the first ). Love the jog dial remote. It sucks that these early players suffer cue and iec.

Cool setup!! i have a soft spot for the gears from the 90s
Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Listener in Training

Thanks again guys, I'm not sure how I'll come down on the 871 to 901 decision, but it has spurred more thought about adding a stereo preamp given the 100% digitization on the MX151. Think I'll start another thread about that.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 AM

It’s been a year since I last heard rumours of the next generation McIntosh blu-ray player. Anyone heard any updates now the OPPO 205 has been released?
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables