AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM

How about if we make this a sticky thread? We probably need a thread group called "The Twilight Zone" for the tweaks of faith.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 AM

jazzhead... You are a brave soul

On the body seems to work fine... Cable chips are good on the connector ( one per cable )...

Transformers chips are excellent as well and I know two people who have had success with the capacitor chips.

Because I am a completely rationalist flat-earther (Steve Ive never been abducted or probed ever) And because I have tried them on Magnepan and Devore 0/96 and heard absolutely nuthin I would suggest caveat emptor on the speaker chips.

Ps they will not mark your Seraphims or the Vitus or Wavac but would also wonder whether one of the best most invisible speaker cables and some of the finest electronics on the planet could be improved anyway.

Look forward to how it goes... I know they work on less than stellar right up to fairly exceptional gear... your setup might test them to the max.

Cheers
G.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 AM

G.... Thanks , but as they say there is always better , except maybe in the case of the Seraphim.I do get your point of view,but maybe another way of looking at it , would be that the better the gear the more marked the effect .I have had great results with the Hi-Fi tuning fuses and felt that chips would be good add on , since they are now offered built in . Of course your great copywriting skills did help sell me , if what you profess is true then I intend to move on to the cable chips. Definitely progressing into the twilight zone here . Will keep you posted . Best ... jazzhead

Last edited by jazzhead; 02-10-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Just got my Fuse chips .. rolled one on to the HiFi Tuning fuse in my Meridian ..... NNOOOOOO this can not be . Scared to treat my other components , surely this can not get better ... WTF is going on !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

jazzhead.......I hate to admit it but you guys are starting to convince me I need to give these dots a try.

I just don't want my gear to look like this with the lights out.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Dan, where did you get a picture of my room?

Jazzhead, the experience is surprising and I have found no downsides... the shift is more than subtle and also importantly more profound on the whole ... a deeper impact is on transformers and cables IME and they work cumulatively... applied throughout the overall move towards less grey in the noise floor and greater ease of flow is clear... They do appear throughout my system pretty much just as Dan's diagram above suggests

G.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Dan, where did you get a picture of my room?

Jazzhead, the experience is surprising and I have found no downsides... the shift is more than subtle and also importantly more profound on the whole ... a deeper impact is on transformers and cables IME and they work cumulatively... applied throughout the overall move towards less grey in the noise floor and greater ease of flow is clear... They do appear throughout my system pretty much just as Dan's diagram above suggests

G.

So where do get these bloody dots from? I couldn't find them at Office Works .

I just purchased some more spare HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses after my MC2301 took out one.

So if they are almost giving them away then I am keen to discover the fuss. Anyone out there stuck them under a microscope?

Graham, you may like to PM me the deal about these & if you do convince me, I'll retract my rhetorical remarks & stick one on my forehead for the world to see.

Last edited by MyPal; 02-19-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Dan..... LOLLL .. yes it's kinda like quite a powerful effect , not one you have to strain to hear . Don't ask me how it works , measures or such but clearly audible it is . Start of with the fuse chips and work from there if convinced. I believe there is a 30 day return policy , so it's win-win .

Graham... The first "Chipped" fuse in the Meridian was startling , further applications to other components obviously less so . Gains were an apparent increase in volume , increased three dimensionality to treble notes with better decay . More effortlessness all around . On further listening however , I find the balance slightly skewed mid-bass and above , the deep bass notes do not seem to develop and flow as much . This may be system , set-up etc dependant . I will monitor further on how it develops, if any , over the next few days. Definitely worth a try however , with a bit of luck there are gains to be had for not much outlay. I intend to further delve with transformer and capacitor chips . Nothing to loose but my sanity

Steve... you may want to check your newly acquired Hi-Fi tuning fuses . I believe the newer batches have the chip built in . We await eagerly the picture of your forehead massaged by the wonders of Quantum energy
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post

So where do get these bloody dots from? I couldn't find them at Office Works .

I just purchased some more spare HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses after my MC2301 took out one.

So if they are almost giving them away then I am keen to discover the fuss. Anyone out there stuck them under a microscope?

Graham, you may like to PM me the deal about these & if you do convince me, I'll retract my rhetorical remarks & stick one on my forehead for the world to see.
Steve - I was introduced to them by Bill M at Gosford who is the Magnepan importer... I used fuse chips as an initial trial, you'll find they are inexpensive and should demonstrate simply if the others will work for you as well.

Given the off the standard audio beaten track trip these kind of mods take you on I suggest like all unfamiliar winding paths you take little steps with them to see if you like where they are taking you. You could find a store locally and try placing some of the cables chips on cables without attaching them. Or just get in a few fuse chips and try them for even any standard glass fuses as well. If your hi-fi tuning fuses are recent they will likely have the chips inside and wont benefit by the addition of the second on chip externally. On this trip everyone's mileage may easily vary based upon the type of chip as they do vary in specific effect and also the gear it is going on. I rest them without attaching where I can and if nothing happens then I shift around to where they do work.

I figure its a bit like acupuncture... Careful, considered and focussed application where beneficial, I have ended ip with a reasonably moderate number throughout the chain.

I kind of felt the chips on fuses focussed image and reduced grain... Jazzhead's description is absolutely what I experienced for me especially the way the upper bass gets a beautiful set-like life to it.

On cables they seem to get generally more effortless with something like a small taste of the Zensati cables with effortless flow and on transformers they seem to really reduce residual noise and deepening the void in the background and fleshing out micro dynamics. I have only just put some capacitor chips on an external supply and initial thoughts are that in the capacitors it seems more liquid, smoother and less identifiably transistor... By this stage I fairly much just judiciously apply when I get a new component.

Holistically used throughout in a reasonably moderate way they work towards easing flow, stilling the background and bringing out richness of tone and texture... there is more coherence and plain musical rightness just like swapping out from Pure Music and going across to Audirvana Plus there is a clear shift and it seems wholly in service of the music.

We can analyse things till we see dots with our eyes open and closed or we can just try gently and find our way forward and find out for ourselves. I wouldn't suggest going and buying the whole journey in one swoop and finding out that you're not keen on the destination. The way jazzhead is doing it is so spot on.

These are not great risks and will likely work for some and not necessarily for all. Little steps as we go and in the end the Qunatum chips along with Stillpoints and good power conditioning and cables are now an embedded part of my approach to the system as a whole. If you feel comfortable try if not there are as always so many enjoyable ways to get to where we are going.

G.

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-19-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzhead View Post
Dan..... LOLLL .. yes it's kinda like quite a powerful effect , not one you have to strain to hear . Don't ask me how it works , measures or such but clearly audible it is . Start of with the fuse chips and work from there if convinced. I believe there is a 30 day return policy , so it's win-win .

Graham... The first "Chipped" fuse in the Meridian was startling , further applications to other components obviously less so . Gains were an apparent increase in volume , increased three dimensionality to treble notes with better decay . More effortlessness all around . On further listening however , I find the balance slightly skewed mid-bass and above , the deep bass notes do not seem to develop and flow as much . This may be system , set-up etc dependant . I will monitor further on how it develops, if any , over the next few days. Definitely worth a try however , with a bit of luck there are gains to be had for not much outlay. I intend to further delve with transformer and capacitor chips . Nothing to loose but my sanity

Steve... you may want to check your newly acquired Hi-Fi tuning fuses . I believe the newer batches have the chip built in . We await eagerly the picture of your forehead massaged by the wonders of Quantum energy
Jazzhead - that description is exactly as I found the fuse chips... in a system sense a range of chips throughout they seem to work harmoniously with the stillpoints which ensure the bass fundamentals are retained and the chips are filling and fleshing out above and once moderately infiltrated throughout you are left with clarity and real immediacy in the style of your Zensatis ( tho not that compleeeetly... )

The stillpoints have the clear fundamentals of fine SS without the hard edge and the Quantum instill some of the magic qualities of valve with the subtle fabric of music but also with the clarity that that we love about great contemporary valve components... clearly we may well be getting to somewhere worth going.

Clarity, life, energy and beauty.

G.

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-19-2013 at 06:18 PM.