AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Sent: November-24-11 6:54 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: SP3

Hello Mr. Tanner,

Well Mr. Tanner, what can I say: I call a SP3 Processor since about 3 weeks my own.
This Processor ist just awsome!! The performance is stunning!
Total control over the whole spectrum, very clear accurate sound, very crisp reproduction, very logic and easy to use, ......could go on and on....

Have 2 Bryston Power Packs and a 9B SST (3 channel) as Power Amps connected.
Drive a 5.0 PMC Speaker Set up.
Just wanted to tell you that the SP3 is the crown to my Sourround System!! - Perfect!!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Werner Aschenberger
RCM design GmbH
Old 11-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Sent: November-24-11 11:38 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP3

Dear James,

Unfortunately I compare SP3 with my Apogee Ensemble in my flat... I thought that the Apogee is a professional converter... SP3 "killed" Apogee by dynamic, clarity, resolution , everything!

Best regards

Robert Fijałkowski
MJ AUDIO LAB
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

DATE: December 2011
Mr. GRAVY

Re: Bryston SP-3 Report
STUNNING

Hey gents - here is a shot of an unboxed black rackmount SP-3 for anyone that likes pictures. I've yet to sit down and document the detailed differences that I'm hearing between the SP1.7 and the SP-3, and will do that soon - I'm hoping over the holidays things will slow down enough for a critical listen and review.

To start - I absolutely loved the sonics of my SP1.7. I found the noise floor so low that the dynamic range in music and movies really shined. If anyone wants to get into high-end 5.1 multichannel, the SP1.7 is a great piece. I hated to have to list it for sale, but it is time to move on and move up.

The short story on the SP-3 is that this experience is even better. The clarity of dialogue from the centre channel, and the range from quiet to explosive dynamics on the mains and rears is incredibly engaging.

For the very first time, I watched a DTS-HD lossless Bluray track (Green Lantern) and I was incredibly engaged by the clarity and dynamics of the sound. When the audio is quiet, it is truly black. This adds so much to the dynamic range. Too bad it couldn't help with the storyline. *rimshot*

Contrast that against just how easy it is to listen to the SP-3 at very high volume (my movie reference volume) that I didn't realize how loud and clear the audio was until I tried to comment on a scene to my wife sitting beside me, and she couldn't hear me. It blows away any theatre experience I've had, bar none.

One more word – stunning!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Bryston SP3

After waiting for a couple of years to replace my Bryston SP 1.7 I finally took delivery on Tuesday December 20th of a Bryston SP3. Thanks to Absolute Audio in Calgary and Jim Spence and James Tanner at Bryston I am able to have some time over the holidays to put it through its paces. I had to leave on vacation so all I have had time to do is spend some time with 2 channel SACD and Vinyl.

A little background:

I have an acoustically treated media room that is 15 X 18 X 9 and with the help of an RTA it measures fairly flat response at the primary seating position except for a 3 db bump at 80 htz. Although this is a 7.1 channel home theater my passion is 2 channel and thus the room is optimized for that.

Power Conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant Premium
Power: Bryston 4B SST and 9B SST
Speakers: Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMD with the DMD Center.
Digital Source: Marantz UD 9004 and Logitech Squeezebox Touch to my iMac music server.
Analogue Source: VPI Scoutmaster with Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and EAR 834P phono.

After letting it "warm" up over night I loaded my favorite SACD, Jen Chapin reVisions. I sat down and the first thing I noticed was how much bigger my room became. I waited for the second song and thought how much better my center channel speaker sounded. In fact it sounded like a different speaker. I then realized I must have set the SP3 to 7.1 channel bypass. I listened to another song before I went to the SP3 to set it a 2 channel. I was shocked to see that it WAS set at 2 channel. I finally achieved that window of sound in my media room. I was very happy with the SP1.7 and compared it to many "reference quality" analogue preamps costing much more money. The SP3 is in a different league. It not only made my room bigger but I noticed I could hear things around instruments and voices that just were not apparent before.

I switched to the VPI for an hour and played one of my go to Allison Krauss albums and then the new Pat Matheny. The sound was equally as impresive. In fact on vinyly the width and depth of my soundstage seamed to open up even more. Overall I have only spent a couple of hours with the SP3 and only in analogue 2 channel. When I am back from holidays I will get into my favorite blu rays and I am sure will be even more impressed.

My first impression is that purely as a 2 channel analogue pre amp the SP3 is well worth the price. I can't wait to hear the DAC and the 7.1 processing.

I am looking forward to next week.

DRC
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
That's a Deusy !

My buddy Mike just got himself one for Christmas . I will be going over fro a test drive soon !
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Sent: January-27-12 2:47 AM
To: James Tanner; Melissa Myles
Subject: Thank You!

Hi James & Melissa,

Thank you very much for taking care of me with the SP3 & 6B amplifier. It is the most significant electronics upgrade I have experienced, and thought you might be interested in hearing about it.
The quality of sound that I normally only experience in (treated) demo rooms is now in my (far from acoustically ideal, untreated) living room.

At first, I resisted the temptation to install both pieces and instead just replaced my Classe' 400 with the 6B. I was amazed at the increase in detail, soundstage, and clarity. I listened to it for a few hours being driven by multiple sources through my Krell HTS. Fantastic.

Last night I replaced the Krell HTS with the SP3, I was amazed even more. I listened to many familiar pieces and do not understand how you could have extracted so much detail from a Redbook CD bitstream.

I heard an immense amount of detail that I did not know existed on CDs and DVDs that I have owned for years. It sounded like the band or orchestra was in front of me and I'm thrilled with the increased amount of presence, almost seeing where the musicians are playing.

I think back to our conversation James when I asked you how these pieces of equipment might compare, and I admire your modesty and how you focused the discussion on features instead. My Thiel CS 3.7's are singing better than I thought they could - and - the break-in period has just started!

My thanks, admiration, and respect.

Best,
Marc
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Sent: January-29-12 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: SP3

Well Well James,

You have a winner in the SP3!
I picked it up this weekend and hooked it up today I LOVE the sound!

Thank you and all the Bryston Staff for such a great product!

Gerry
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers January 2012
SUBJECT: BRYSTON SP3 Customer Feedback

Sent: January-31-12 3:58 PM
Subject: RE: SP3

Hi James

This SP-3 thing sounds so good it’s still amazing to me, even after all this time.

I have used it with two different sets of power amps, and I find that it is making my system MUCH more enjoyable sonically than ever before. For a PrePro to do this is more than amazing. I have replaced a highly regarded tube preamp (it sold immediately, lots of demand) and the SP3 sounds way better than it did. And for it to sound so good via HDMI is quite a feat also. I no longer need all those analog cables going from my universal player to the prepro, as I just use HDMI and it sounds better than ever, even on SACD despite that you are committing the reported mortal sin of converting that to PCM prior to conversion to analog. My SACD’s have never sounded better.

So, this thing is a world beater. I have tried every other pre/pro they have, and some they don’t, and the SP3 is just way better than anything else out there.

Been waiting for 15 years for someone to get this right.

Thanks,
Bill - Microsoft Corporation

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 01-31-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 AM

Default Sp3 - usb dac

I have several questions regarding how the USB input work on the SP3.

Does the DAC in the SP3 function as an independent DAC via the USB input and all digital inputs?

Will the SP3's USB input play music files from a Windows PC, running J River Media Center, output high rez files of up to 24 bit 192 kHz sampling rate via the computer's USB2 output port.

Are music files played in their native resolution or are all files automatically upsampled to 24/192?

Thanks for your response.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_To View Post
I have several questions regarding how the USB input work on the SP3.

Does the DAC in the SP3 function as an independent DAC via the USB input and all digital inputs?

Will the SP3's USB input play music files from a Windows PC, running J River Media Center, output high rez files of up to 24 bit 192 kHz sampling rate via the computer's USB2 output port.

Are music files played in their native resolution or are all files automatically upsampled to 24/192?

Thanks for your response.
Hi,

The USB is 16 bit / 48K but it is modular. We are working on a new USB module that will allow for 192/24 but that is a few months off.

james