AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
As the natives tend to stay home and not go out, in fear of the influx of tourists, I am sorry to say that I cannot recommend anywhere at all...

Hope you have a great time here ☔️, weather permitting.

Thank you. Coming from Puerto Rico where tourism is ever so important for the economy and wellbeing of our struggling island, we see tourism as an asset, and we welcome and coexist with all kinds of brothers and sisters from all over the world. Of which, by the way, a great number come from your island. We also try to sponsor and help the local economy by sharing a table at the local restaurants, bistros, cafes that help us keep on moving. It helps us promote our island and procure more sponsors if we know the plus and cons of the services we have to offer our visitors. Maybe tourism is an insignificant part of the UK's GDP, and hence the indifference, but for a vast majority of the world it isn't.

For an average guy like me, it's hard work to save up and drop a chunk of cash on a different economy that my own, yet there is satisfaction and growth in expanding the horizon, in meeting new people, in experiencing new environments, and in experiencing rich history and traditions. It helps teach my boys to open their eyes to the world. To see that there is life and happiness beyond the confines of their community. Also that there is need and sadness out there as well. To know that they are not the only ones that count.

the concept of staying at home to avoid tourists is not familiar to me, and I wonder how many great things your city is offering that you're missing out on. Or maybe it is that weather you mention that keeps you inside[emoji16] In any case, we the tourists should perhaps thank you, for the lines and wait time could be even worse[emoji23]
I guess you have more time to listen to your rig at home and that is always a plus [emoji106]

Happy Listening,
Old 03-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
As the natives tend to stay home and not go out, in fear of the influx of tourists, I am sorry to say that I cannot recommend anywhere at all...

Hope you have a great time here ☔️, weather permitting.

Certainly not a very welcoming or useful response. [emoji107]
Old 03-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Top Ten restaurants in London

I think a top ten would be tough, but here are a few we've enjoyed:

For a change of pace, the Columbia Road Flower Market is a blast, and there's a pleasant bistro nearby called The Premises for lunch. Nothing fancy or special, just a nice atmosphere near a fun market.

The American Bar and Savoy Grill at the Savoy hotel are of course landmarks, and while some poo-poo them as tourist attractions, they're a fun experience.

The Oxo on the top of the Oxo tower has excellent food and great views of the river.

Butler's Wharf Chop House is very nice, along the river with a fantastic view of the Tower bridge.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-03-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
Scott's has epic seafood, especially the Dover Sole and raw bar. Located in the Mayfair district.

Love Dover Sole...
Old 03-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I think a top ten would be tough, but here are a few we've enjoyed:

For a change of pace, the Columbia Road Flower Market is a blast, and there's a pleasant bistro nearby called The Premises for lunch. Nothing fancy or special, just a nice atmosphere near a fun market.

The American Bar and Savoy Grill at the Savoy hotel are of course landmarks, and while some poo-poo them as tourist attractions, they're a fun experience.

The Oxo on the top of the Oxo tower has excellent food and great views of the river.

Butler's Wharf Chop House is very nice, along the river with a fantastic view of the Tower bridge.

Definitely planning on a visit to The Savoy ... some tourist traps are worth it!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
John, my brother lives in London.
We often visit, and I don't see that kind of behaviour.

We once went here:

Good food, unique experience.

There are plenty of excellent restaurants, I'll look into my memories to find some more.
True! Lovely place.

I was also thinking of Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Restaurant your brother took us to for my birthday 2 (?) years ago.

The "Fifteen" is not just a restaurant.

Jamie Oliver is one of Britain's celebrity chefs (Honest and tasty no-nonsense British Cuisine) who founded the first” Fifteen” restaurant, in Westland Place, London in 2002. The restaurant is a non profit Apprentice Program. Jamie Oliver trains 15 young adults at a time who have a disadvantaged background for careers in the restaurant business.

(Since then the program opened restaurants all over the UK, in The Netherlands and Australia. )
http://www.fifteen.net/

Quote from Jamie Oliver on the Fifteen website:
“My personal goal is twofold, firstly to see Fifteen receive a Michelin star, which I believe it deserves, and secondly to go from graduating 15 students a year to 1,500 across the next 10 years, and I’d love to collaborate with other restaurant groups to make this dream a reality.”

Last edited by meza; 03-04-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meza View Post
True! Lovely place.

I was also thinking of Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Restaurant your brother took us to for my birthday 2 (?) years ago.

The "Fifteen" is not just a restaurant.

Jamie Oliver is one of Britain's celebrity chefs (Honest and tasty no-nonsense British Cuisine) who founded the first” Fifteen” restaurant, in Westland Place, London in 2002. The restaurant is a non profit Apprentice Program. Jamie Oliver trains 15 young adults at a time who have a disadvantaged background for careers in the restaurant business.

(Since then the program opened restaurants all over the UK, in The Netherlands and Australia. )

Quote from Jamie Oliver on the Fifteen website:
“My personal goal is twofold, firstly to see Fifteen receive a Michelin star, which I believe it deserves, and secondly to go from graduating 15 students a year to 1,500 across the next 10 years, and I’d love to collaborate with other restaurant groups to make this dream a reality.”
Awesome, thank you
Old 03-04-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
John, my brother lives in London.

We often visit, and I don't see that kind of behaviour.

We once went here:

Good food, unique experience.

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-mo...itchen-and-bar

There are plenty of excellent restaurants, I'll look into my memories to find some more.

Sorry Bart, I was trying to be funny and it didn't quite work. Blame my [emoji381]'s!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Sorry Bart, I was trying to be funny and it didn't quite work. Blame my [emoji381]'s!
You should take more Happy Pills John!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Great suggestions! We will be there late September.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,