AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Default MX-R 20 vs VX-R 20

I have long thought the VX-R 20 is the best choice for me, but has anyone compared these directly (or the MX-R vs the VX-R) to verify these do actually sound identical?

I'd just pull the trigger and get a pair of the MX-R 20s but the $7K price difference between they and the VX-R is not insubstantial, and I really don't need the extra 100 wpc nor do I have the cabling for "place each amp near each speaker placement."

Instead my interconnects and speaker wires all are connected to my current stereo amp and whether the VX-R or MX-R, the amp or amps are going on that same amp stand.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM

Older post Bill. Did you get your answer yet? They are not identical. I heard them both on Saturday and spoke with Alex from Ayre. I am in between on getting the VX-R/Twenty and selling the AX-5/Twenty. I'd then pick up the KX-5/Twenty. If I get the Quatro this may be the route I go as then I'd just use Vandersteen's external high pass filter. Otherwise I'll keep the AX and have Ayre install a capacitor (very high end and done properly and it's reversible) and the integrated would have the simple bypass built right into it.

As for the Ref amp vs the 5 series, the ref amp is much better in every way now. Honestly, I felt the old VX-5 sounded almost as good as the old Ref amp, but after all the upgrades to both, the Ref crushes it. Similar Ayre sound of course, but there is a reason for the price difference and it's not the marketing. Each time Ayre builds new gear, they use the best components in the product's price range. This is why the headphone amp on the new QX-5/Twenty blows away an already top amp on the Codex. They had the money to play with it and the engineers did just that. Same thing with the MX-R and the KX-R/Twenty series. Better capacitors, better everything else and that takes nothing away from the 5 series, which is the best value in audio for my money. That Ref stack the other day blew me away as I've heard the same system in the same room with the new Aesthetix and AR gear. JMHO.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 PM

I have heard vx-r vs mx-r on Vandersteen 7 many, many times..pretty much a tie except loud loud or big room. i went w VX-r for same reasons you cite..had my then 5a 6' out into room and did not want more claptrap on floor..

Someone i respect a great deal thinks the vx-r sounds better....

Running the twenty upgrade now.i never wish for more power. If i do get the itch it will most likely be Vandersteen amps...
Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 PM

I picked up the MXR20 and KXR20 in Jan and Feb 2015. Honestly, it's so good I don't think about gear much anymore. I've been with Ayre since 2010. Happy customer here.

I do listen to other brands and setups, but none really make me think that my setup is lacking.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Tom, I'm a bit surprised that you think the VX 5 and MX 5 Twenty sound nearly the same. I am probably getting the VX 5 Twenty as that's all I can probably afford, but in listening to the MXR Twenty in many shops on Vandersteen, Wilson and even Focals I personally think they are much more dynamic and a bit smoother. I think the sound stage locks in a bit better. It's hard to use words to describe as on a board folks try to read into what you are saying, but to me there is a big difference in all areas, but at the levels we are talking about it's incremental. Most who have the ref gear are wanting it for the dynamics and to drive the heck out of their speakers (as you said, more power and current to drive better in larger or more difficult rooms). I just am loving all the Ayre gear and their upgrades and new pieces are just very strong players in their price ranges. I really like this forum a lot too.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 PM

Vx-r and mx-r twenty sound same...diff is 100 w .

and seperate grounds..assuming you have 110 outlets for both w diff gnd potentials...which RV feels may generate some differences...hence his comment that the vx-r can sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
Tom, I'm a bit surprised that you think the VX 5 and MX 5 Twenty sound nearly the same. I am probably getting the VX 5 Twenty as that's all I can probably afford, but in listening to the MXR Twenty in many shops on Vandersteen, Wilson and even Focals I personally think they are much more dynamic and a bit smoother. I think the sound stage locks in a bit better. It's hard to use words to describe as on a board folks try to read into what you are saying, but to me there is a big difference in all areas, but at the levels we are talking about it's incremental. Most who have the ref gear are wanting it for the dynamics and to drive the heck out of their speakers (as you said, more power and current to drive better in larger or more difficult rooms). I just am loving all the Ayre gear and their upgrades and new pieces are just very strong players in their price ranges. I really like this forum a lot too.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 PM

Tom, I was thinking you were saying the VX 5 twenty and MXR Twenty sounded the same. Not the stereo version of the mono's. My bad, sorry bout that....I'd love to own the VXR Twenty. Killer amp.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Billk

Did you ever pull the trigger

I use three MXR 20s for the front three channels and VXR 20 for the surrounds in my theater room. They are very similar in tone and presentation. I have not tried to put the stereo version on the front speakers to compare. I think if you play at lower levels or have efficient speakers than the VXR will be great. It is probably the best value if you want the R improvements. I also have the vx5 20 in another system and it gives you a lot of what the Rs provide but for ultimate resolution and depth of soundstage get the VXR and don't look back
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks for sharing enatai. I appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Billk

Did you ever pull the trigger
I did; I just bit the bullet and got a pair of MX-R Twenties.