AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM

UPDATE:

Ok, latest update from my friend who has about 150 hours on it:

All his analog guys are in wonder. It's opened up on both ends. Bass is tight, tuneful and goes room moving low. He played some cuts with bass in the low 20's and he said it was the most powerful they've had in the room. The mids are lush and accurate at the same time. They are spending hours and hours listening to all types of music. Said that the highs are 'right'. It has the best air around notes for any digital they've had in the room ever. He's had many of the top name DAC's in this room as everyone wants him to sell their gear. Everyone in his shop feels that this is the best digital piece he's had in and that includes the Berk ref mk 2 as well as the Aesthetix and AR digital pieces.

WAs told that if it's on the recording, it will be heard. Resolving, smooth, deep and powerful were some of the words he used. I asked about the size of the soundstage. Said that it's as wide as what he gets with most of the analog rigs they've had in the room and it goes deep AND high. He was surprised at how rock solid it is. I'm very encouraged as I am coming from a world class DAC. This should be fun.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
UPDATE:

Ok, latest update from my friend who has about 150 hours on it:

All his analog guys are in wonder. It's opened up on both ends. Bass is tight, tuneful and goes room moving low. He played some cuts with bass in the low 20's and he said it was the most powerful they've had in the room. The mids are lush and accurate at the same time. They are spending hours and hours listening to all types of music. Said that the highs are 'right'. It has the best air around notes for any digital they've had in the room ever. He's had many of the top name DAC's in this room as everyone wants him to sell their gear. Everyone in his shop feels that this is the best digital piece he's had in and that includes the Berk ref mk 2 as well as the Aesthetix and AR digital pieces.

WAs told that if it's on the recording, it will be heard. Resolving, smooth, deep and powerful were some of the words he used. I asked about the size of the soundstage. Said that it's as wide as what he gets with most of the analog rigs they've had in the room and it goes deep AND high. He was surprised at how rock solid it is. I'm very encouraged as I am coming from a world class DAC. This should be fun.
Have you received your QX-5 Twenty? How does it compare to Empirical OSDE?
Old 08-14-2016, 02:33 PM

No, they aren't shipping quite yet for the customers. Just for the dealers around the world so they can get them in, burned in and used to them. I LOVED that Empirical OSDE/SE. I didn't love the non SE version though. That said, the Ayre will have to be very special to touch it for sound quality. Based on what I was told yesterday, I have a feeling, this DAC may just be able to pull it off. I'm hoping that it will be at least just as good as I wanted it for other things it offers. I still won't be using the digital volume control as the AX5 Twenty's preamp sounds 95% of what the KX5 Twenty gives you.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've played with it and listened, but it only had 30 or fewer hours on it. I speak daily with someone who's breaking it in. Build is as good as it gets without a single billet milled case, lol. It's intuitive and easy to use. Even set up seemed easy to me and the directions are by Alex and he's very strong there. I feel. It should best the Berkley Ref mk 2 based on my initial hearing as well as someone who's played with it for a long time as well as a dealer who's breaking it in who I speak with about it often. I have a feeling that this will be the under 15k DAC folks are talking about. Even out of the box it bettered most of the under 10k DAC's I've owned or listened to. It had a bit of harshness on the top end, that was mostly gone by the end of the day. That was gone after 50 hours of break in. Bass is SOLID and pretty much was after 40 hours or so (the last time I personally heard it). Guys, I just sold my Empirical Audio ODSE/SE. I wasn't going to, but someone got in touch and made an offer that I reluctantly accepted. To me, that was the best DAC under 15k and that's why I purchased it in the first place. As much as I love the new Ayre gear, I'm not the Ayre fanboy that I seem like. I just appreciate what they've been coming out with IRT the double diamond circuit and their power filtering being built in. Just lowers the noise floor to almost nothing.

The Codex is a leader in the 5k and under DAC/headphone amp/pre I feel. The QX is totally different and much better in all ways. It's a very serious piece that anyone in the 15k and under range needs to listen to and I'd personally open that up to the 20k and under as I am not the biggest fan of the DCS stack (heresy I know). JMHO

Gaboudreaux, get in touch today if you can.
Well, I'm sure you're placing it in the right category as its price suggests but... there are more competitors out there... Chord Dave (as far as I'm concerned this is its primary contender), Bricasti M1 and others. That's why I would have loved to hear about comparisons with other capable DACs. I guess it's way too early for that so I'll lay low for a while!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Yes way too early. I'll be getting some more info this weekend. It probably have another 75 to 100 on it. The person I speak with is very familiar with the Bricasti M1, Berk Ref mk 2, DCS Rossini, Trinity, Audio Research 9 and the Aesthetix Eclipse. That last one is the sleeper here folks. If you don't mind tubes it's amazing.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The person I speak with is very familiar with the Bricasti M1, Berk Ref mk 2, DCS Rossini, Trinity, Audio Research 9 and the Aesthetix Eclipse. That last one is the sleeper here folks. If you don't mind tubes it's amazing.
The important thing to remember is the ARC CD9 isn't just a DAC, it's a CD player too.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
The important thing to remember is the ARC CD9 isn't just a DAC, it's a CD player too.
Plus, we're hearing what someone says someone else says is what they hear.

Yikes. That would never be allowed in a court, thankfully.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 PM

The Aesthetix is also a spinner and DAC.

As far as parroting what someone tells me they are hearing. What's your problem with that? How is that any different than anything else you read on the boards? Honestly, I know of more than a few posters who have never even heard some gear making comments about equipment. That's why I go listen before buying. We all hear differently and not everyone has the same reference when they discuss what they hear. That's rarely spoken about and should be. What is someone's reference when discussing sound. I read folks making comments about equipment and the best systems they have heard is an AVR and a set of sub 1k speakers. If that's all they know, then anything will probably sound incredible to them regardless of whether it does sound good or not to the masses.

I know my friends ear and how he listens. I've shared what he's saying about the QX5 as it burns in. Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter what anyone says it sounds like today as it will sound better tomorrow and the next day until it fully breaks in.

If you are joking with me, I missed that and am sorry. If you are being condescending, then that's petty. It's an audio board and not court. Yikes, glad you are not the judge, because based on many of your posts, you'd also have to be the jury.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM

ctsooner, please continue updating as it breaks in. I'm very interested in the QX-5 and good to know it's competitive against ALL competition. It's obvious my ear will be the ultimate decider on a purchase.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngale1 View Post
ctsooner, please continue updating as it breaks in. I'm very interested in the QX-5 and good to know it's competitive against ALL competition. It's obvious my ear will be the ultimate decider on a purchase.
Not sure if I should pass along what someone else is saying about it though. I'm concerned about the legal part of it.

Seriously, I'm hoping to get down there to listen again as soon as he gets the hours on it.