AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM

I think each situation is different, example I'm in Viet Nam were we use 220v and from what I have read several times is that 220v is a cleaner power then 110v" plus my system is on independent transformers in each dedicated wall outlet has its own separate ground running to its own 5 meter grounding rod, its pretty quit and fact the PS noise harvester hardly blinks.

Now the above analogy of 220v vs 110v is only what I have read and haven't been able to quantify this.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:15 AM

I've always said that it depends on your own house. I have very clean power to begin with and since I run Ayre gear it already has filtering built in. I do like the SR powercell I'm selling but in my current situation it's not helping me and it cuts micro and macro dynamics a bit. When I use it only on my server it does lower the noise floor and is better than the others I've tried.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Ayre QX-5 Twenty First Listen

A Transparent Power Isolator MM2 would do nicely with my QX/AX.

Last edited by Blackstone; 02-11-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Personally I would still plug the AX directly into your wall outlet. I have listened to the AX both ways in many shops and also other homes and not just mine. Wall outlet won out every single time. I also like the power filter that they build into their devices. I know that Ayre will tell you to plug directly into a wall outlet also. JMHO. Worth listening to it both ways.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Ok everyone is correct, the QX 5 sounds noticeably better running thru a great preamp. I recently purchased the matching Accuphase C 3800 pre to go with my Accuphase A 65 and while only 100 hours on the pre the QX 5 is sounding fuller, richer, detailed, bass is incredible, soundstage just there, air and space between instrument & voices, tonality truly a revelation. I cant wait to hit the 600 hr mark.

I was trying so hard not to spend more money but the never ending journey to sonic nirvana is a nasty, costly journey.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Not going to say told you so..........

So glad you got the pre. Wait until it fully breaks in and the highs become even BETTER and the dynamics open up. I need to ask how you like the Melco. That's one that I've thought about a lot. If I didn't care about Roon, I may already own it. Is it worth the extra over the N1AH unit?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 AM

I really enjoy the N1ZH but you have to remember Im coming from a MacBook Pro running Roon so virtually anything is an improvement . I chose the N1ZH because of the great feedback and price point. I was really wanting the N1ZS but they were sold out here in Viet Nam. This is my first endeavour into computer audio with my last system back in the 90,s running a CD based system.

I don't miss Roon at all with the improved SQ running a Pre now just enjoying the daily improvements with the break in period, in the first couple of systems I build I had no patients for break in.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks Teck. I run a GREAT sounding rebuilt Mac Mini with Paul Hynes LPS that was Steve Nugent's. I still think I may get the entry Melco and use it as a NAS only since it sounds so incredible and I need a place to store music and an easy way to rip it. So much to do. lol
Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Well, my QX-5 has been on order for over 4 weeks. Anticipation......
I traded my QB-9 for it so I am without computer based music. My dealer says late this week or early next week for ETA. I intend to output my Ayre CD player thru the QX-5. Has anybody else done that? If so did it improve the sound compared to using the CD player's on-board DAC?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM

OMG, it will be MUCH better. Worlds if you would. Night and day. I honestly feel that well recorded and downloaded music from the hard drive is much better than CD's. That's one reason I keep coming back to getting a Melco and using it at least as a NAS.