AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Very nice looking piece of equipment!!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
Very nice looking piece of equipment!!
Aesthetics are a personal preference type of thing but I love it. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:06 PM

So, if would not be AA, of course, if the obvious question did not pop up sooner, I’m sure, than you are ready for it—but here goes anyway...

Waddabout that BHA-1?
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 PM

After reading all the available reviews, perusing headphone forums and talking to Arthur Power of Violectric USA, the decision to acquire this headphone amp was easy. The toughest part was deciding if I wanted the Black or Gold feet!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
So, if would not be AA, of course, if the obvious question did not pop up sooner, I’m sure, than you are ready for it—but here goes anyway...

Waddabout that BHA-1?
BHA-1 remains a fantastic headphone amp, nothing changed. A bit premature to compare the two in great depth.

I don't know if the V281 will change significantly after break in or not but as it stands right now, the V281 is a bit more refined sounding, mostly in the upper mids. A bit more liquid, a bit smoother, a bit grippier in the bass. That's a lot of "bits" but all those little bits do add up to an even greater level of musical listening satisfaction.

Similar blacker than black background with extremely low noise floor as the foundation upon which the rest of the music in the recording unfolds creating depth, purity and organic flow of perceived sound. The V281 also sound a bit more weightier in the upper bass/lower mids to me which I like. It probably is a slightly better amp when it comes to bass and the BHA-1 is no slouch in the BASS with balanced outputs.

Let me put it this way, I can easily live with the V281 or the BHA-1 but since I have both to compare, I prefer the V281 by not so insignificant margin right now...
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 PM

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your V281. Just goes to show we all hear things differently and we ultimately need to judge audio products with our own ears. Super cool that you got it on sale! I would kill to have a remote for my amp. So few headphone amps offer remote controls. It is a shame... I hate having to constantly get up to adjust the volume every time I change the song...
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your V281. Just goes to show we all hear things differently and we ultimately need to judge audio products with our own ears. Super cool that you got it on sale! I would kill to have a remote for my amp. So few headphone amps offer remote controls. It is a shame... I hate having to constantly get up to adjust the volume every time I change the song...
Headphones and amps are like amps and speakers. Hearing the same amp with different speakers and then coming to the same conclusion between two people is impossible... I bought this amp primarily for the Focal Utopia. There would have been very little reason to go above the BHA-1 for my Sennheisers outfitted with the Black Dragon Balanced cables. They have reached their peak. The Utopia is so far above and away from the Senns (HD600/650) that I felt there was an even greater match to be had with the V281. From the first moment I plugged the Black Dragon balanced cable fitted Utopias into the V281 I knew I made the right decision.

Is there an even better amp for Utopia? Perhaps somewhere out there but I am stopping right here in my quest for Solid State amp partner for Utopia. The V281 offers incredible sound and comes with convenience features I would not give up at this time.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Rumor has it that the V281 and Audeze is a match made in heaven... I don't have Audeze to confirm that fact.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 PM

I find the Volume Pot on V281 to be around 9 o'clock position for my comfortable listening volume. Looking over the specs for Gungnir DAC, it is putting out 4.0V in Balanced and 2.0V in SE. Tomorrow I will try the PRE-GAIN feature of the V281 at -6dB setting to get the Volume Pot closer to 12 o'clock to see if the driver stage op-amps will like that thermal/operational range better.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Back taxes?