AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Stillpoints adapters in use on equipment

Of the many happy users of Stillpoints on this forum, how many are using adapters to attach them using any existing screw threads? I know that attaching to speakers is nearly always done with adapters, as they are replacing existing spikes in most cases.

I have had an interesting discussion recently with a dealer in the U.K., who maintains that the Stillpoints of any type should be positioned underneath the equipment where they will give the best results and not where the screw threads for the existing feet are.

I have only used adapters to attach 4 Ultra SSs to the bottom of my Moon 700i. This is because it is such a heavy beast and I really struggled to position them and keep them in place during the inevitable cable changes or even cleaning! (A big thank you to Tremayne for his 'lifter' by the way). I also thought that Simaudio would position the feet in the best positions, but it may be purely cosmetic appearance dictating this.

Nothing else, so far... All other equipment is supported by an appropriate Stillpoints type with positioning based on things like transformer, power supply, and disc drive location within.

I have always thought that I might attach, where I can, the other Stillpoints with adapters. It certainly makes things easier in some ways to have them physically attached. But... I could not afford to buy adapters, fit them, do listening tests to decide which method is best and then have possibly wasted my time, effort and money.

What say the great and good on AA?
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM

Last edited by John49; 02-23-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM

I agree with the UK dealer in most cases...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM

John,

I am an avid Stillpoints user myself (2 X ESS racks/grid system, 10 X Ultra 5's, 4 X Ultra 6's, 30 X Ultra SS's, Component Stands) and always position each Stillpoint for maximum benefit under each component.

If you think about it, manufacturers are often constrained as to where they place their footers and it is almost always done in a way that addresses symmetry and aesthetics, rather than for the purpose of draining resonance away from the component in question.

For example, we both use the Whest PS.30 RDT SE in our systems and if you "pop the hood" you will see that the dual transformers are grouped closely together and bolted to the extreme left of the chassis. There is a central piece of metal used for bracing/shielding and the dual mono circuits are positioned to the extreme right of the chassis. I use 4 X Ultra SS's under each piece of kit and where not dictated by the Stillpoints grid system, I place these for maximum benefit. In the case of the West phono stage, two under the transformers and the other two under the circuit boards and for balance.

Steve
Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
From the BAT cave ...

John, on speakers I use the adapters at the pre-existing spike locations. For everything else, I ignore the footers and place the Stillpoints below transformers and other energy components.