AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM

Default VTL vs BAT

I got a recommend from a dealer for a VTL TL 5.5 preamp and S-200 amp. I was wondering about other forum members’ thoughts/ experiences with VTL amps and preamps. For those who have heard both, how does VTL compare to Balanced Audio Technology?

Thanks,

David

Last edited by Amadave; 01-17-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 AM

I’ve only heard them both briefly but from what I could tell the BAT had a bit warmer sound. The VTL didn’t really sound like either tube or solid state necessarily and was a bit puzzling to me. I think I might have really liked it but again it was a quick listen. Definitely on my list to really give a good listen to at some point.

George
Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Retired

My VTL experience is from 20yr ago, but when one of my pair of monoblock amps gave me a high voltage shock bad enough to numb my arm, back they went.

My BAT experience is from past few years with their VK-33 preamp and VK-300Xse integrated amp. Both were top notch. If I ever return to separates, the VK-33 will be at the top of my list for a preamp.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM

At my current dealers, my options for tubes other than VTL and BAT are McIntosh, Audio Research and Rogue. Any comments on how these 3 compare tone wise to BAT?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Retired

My experience is with the C2200 and the VK-33 was considerably better to my ears. More detail, faster. Perhaps a bit more extension at both ends, but was a few years ago, so going by memory. I settled on the VK-33 and a pair of reissue MC75s at the time. A great system.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 AM

I have owned VTL amps for 17 years, first the 300 Deluxe Mono Blocks and later I upgraded to to 450MKII’s and loving life. The tube fault protection and auto biasing features are a huge improvement over their older amps. If a power tube goes, It's identified and I quickly replace it, sometimes a fuse will go along with a tube but both are changed within minutes. I have not noticed a difference in sound quality by only changing the blown tube. Upgrading from the 300's to the 450's was costly but has turned out to be a huge cost savings because of the fault protection features.

The 450’s reacts well to tube rolling, I prefer GL-KT88’s when I’m using my B&W 801’s and when I use my Thiel CS6’s I like 6550 winged “C” power tubes.

Over the years in various forums there have been a few of negative comments regarding VTL’s customer service. I’ve always had top notch service. While having upgrades and minor repairs performed at VTL, I met the owner’s and toured the facility. Nice folks. I have no experience with BAT product.
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.