AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Expensive Streamers/Music Servers/Transports - Do I miss anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
PC (MAC) platforms are inherently noisy. By acquiring a dedicated streamer or server form a company that knows audio, you have a better chance of obtaining a solution optimized for high dynamic range audio playback.

That said, there are ways to mitigate noise in a PC environment through careful component selection and integration. This includes a variety of USB isolation solutions and S/PDIF transformer isolators. The Ethernet PHY layer is well isolated by default. This is the route I have chosen, but I am open to seeing if I can hear a difference with a dedicated server.

I see a big downside to dedicated servers and that is long term support from the manufacturer. Just ask McIntosh MS 300 & 750 or Olive owners about that.

Tom

Completely agree. I did research a lot about a streamer/music server brand which is very popular here, but decided a no go, because of no Roon support. I do not want to be tied to a manufacturer customized solution.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 03-15-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
The title refers to “those” expensive ones. If you own an inexpensive one and are satisfied, then congrats of course.
Your title asked do I miss anything. My answer was just the expense. Just add $500 for lifetime Roon.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks essjay. What have you done to get proper galvanic isolation? I have been hesitating to buy an additional device (such as something from iFi) for that, because I am not sure whether it’s another trap or not.
The quad rate USB module in my DAC is properly isolated so it does not carry noise over from my macbook. When I was running a lower end DAC (M51), it needed an external SPDIF converter to clean up the signal as well as reclock to remove noise.

I was using a Jkenny MK3 spdif converter for that purpose with excellent results. Without that converter the m51 sounded a bit brittle to my ears.

When I finally got my hands on an MSB DAC I tried it with the Jkenny and it added nothing, unlike the M51. In fact I preferred it without the Jkenny in the chain. At this point I did look into why and learned about the need for usb inputs to be properly isolated along the way as well as how important it is to have it for a good clean (noise free) digital signal from a computer due to the computers inherent noise.

The CA forum documents this stuff really well if you want to learn more. Hope this helps.

Regards

essjay
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
The quad rate USB module in my DAC is properly isolated so it does not carry noise over from my macbook. When I was running a lower end DAC (M51), it needed an external SPDIF converter to clean up the signal as well as reclock to remove noise.

I was using a Jkenny MK3 spdif converter for that purpose with excellent results. Without that converter the m51 sounded a bit brittle to my ears.

When I finally got my hands on an MSB DAC I tried it with the Jkenny and it added nothing, unlike the M51. In fact I preferred it without the Jkenny in the chain. At this point I did look into why and learned about the need for usb inputs to be properly isolated along the way as well as how important it is to have it for a good clean (noise free) digital signal from a computer due to the computers inherent noise.

The CA forum documents this stuff really well if you want to learn more. Hope this helps.

Regards

essjay

Thank you essjay, it’s very helpful. I am not familiar with CA forum but eager to learn. Can you please direct me to those documents?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Completely agree. I did research a lot about a streamer/music server brand which is very popular here, but decided a no go, because of no Roon support. I do not want to be tied to a manufacturer customized solution.
Well, aren't you now basically tying yourself to Roon? It, like all other software might soon become outdated or the company could go out of business. I'll never let a music management software program dictate my component purchase. There are plenty of simple manufacturer specific solutions out there that meet my needs and it's not hard to adapt to something a little different than what I might be used to. Too many people seem to over complicate this part of digital music streaming. Go for the best sound quality you can afford and be happy.

Last edited by jayvis; 03-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks essjay. What have you done to get proper galvanic isolation? I have been hesitating to buy an additional device (such as something from iFi) for that, because I am not sure whether it’s another trap or not.
Going over USB, I find the iFi to be a very cost effective improvement with my system and it doesn't take up any room.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 03-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Default Expensive Streamers/Music Servers/Transports - Do I miss anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Well, aren't you now basically tying yourself to Roon? It, like all other software might soon become outdated or the company could go out of business. I'll never let a music management software program dictate my component purchase. There are plenty of simple manufacturer specific solutions out there that meet my needs and it's not hard to adapt to something a little different than what I might be used to. Too many people seem to over complicate this part of digital music streaming. Go for the best sound quality you can afford and be happy.

I have a large music library on which I put a lot of time to organize and to get meta data right. I already switched from iTunes to A+, then to Roon. If you have ever had metadata management experience with large library, you would know what that costs.

So far, Roon is unbeatable when it comes to library management.

Sorry, sound quality is not the only factor, at least not to me.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 03-15-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Going over USB, I find the iFi to be a very cost effective improvement with my system and it doesn't take up any room.

I might give iFi a try someday.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM

According to my current experience I can recommend a PS Audio DirectStream + DirectStream Memory Player combo, but connected via the I2S.
In my opinion you would get excellent results.

Last edited by McIntosh-maTRiX; 03-16-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
- I use USB ONLY.
PS Audio DirectStream has a USB input...

Last edited by McIntosh-maTRiX; 03-16-2018 at 10:05 AM.