AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-03-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
In my system the LS27 sounds thin It lacks the depth and richness of the Ref 5se. But then at twice the retail price it should sound better.
'thin' ???, LOL ...... you're right at dbl the price (msrp) it should sound better.......marginally so , as it does......to each his own.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
'thin' ???, LOL ...... you're right at dbl the price (msrp) it should sound better.......marginally so , as it does......to each his own.
Maybe it is just different systems and system synergy. But I was not impressed with the LS27. Originally I was going to upgrade to an LS27 from an LS25 mk2. My dealer was going to give me a great deal on his demo unit. But after having it in my system for a while I just missed my LS25 mk2. The LS27 did some things much better but to me sounded thin. It lacked presence. I thought at best it was a side ways move.

The Ref 5se on the other hand has the best attributes of both and more. It has the more spacious detailed sound stage of the LS27. But also has the presence and depth I felt it lacked. I did not think they were close. But again this is in my all ARC system. Mated with a different amp it may not sound the way it does with my amp.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
To understand you correctly, the 5SE sounds a bit better than the LS28? If yes, in what way?

Thanks.

Honestly, it was so close that most of my customers couldn’t tell the difference.

I’d like to think my REF5SE is better. The soundstage was a bit better - just a bit deeper and wider. But it’s very close unless you did AB in quick succession.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The Ref 5se on the other hand has the best attributes of both and more. It has the more spacious detailed sound stage of the LS27. But also has the presence and depth I felt it lacked. I did not think they were close. But again this is in my all ARC system. Mated with a different amp it may not sound the way it does with my amp.
By no means am I trying to say the 27 bested the 5se, just that in my comparison it was close and by no means does the 27 sound 'thin' in my system. Would the 5se better it, I'm sure it would..........but right now I've got a new shotgun that I've got my eye on !
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM

So do you folks who have heard all these preamps feel that the new LS28 is a sweet spot in the AR line? I may be selling my Ayre QX5/20 preamp and get the new Vandersteen mono blocks when they come out in a few months. If I do that, I need a good preamp, but will be pretty tapped out. I will look for used or demo gear of course, but when buying tube gear, I get scared off. I am looking at the Aesthetix preamp, but have a dealer who sells both and will ask him his thoughts as he's very honest. Thanks all. Appreciate this thread more than you know.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 AM

I would not be fearful of buying used. Unless I know the person personalty I don't believe how new the tubes are. I just assume that the tubes need to be replaced and factor that in. I have never had a problem and have bought everything used. I usually check my dealer to see if he has what I am looking for. He may know of a used piece coming in.

In general I prefer used over demo for tube electronics. A dealer leaves demo pieces on all day so they are ready when a customer comes in. They usually have a lot more hours than a used piece.

The Aesthetix Calypso Signature is very good but it is not as good as the Ref 5se. I know someone who has had both. He sold the Aesthetix to buy the Ref 5se. He now has a Ref 6. One of the things I like about the Ref series pieces is they have tubes in the power supply. I think this makes a noticeable difference in the sound. But in the end it all depends on what sounds best to you in your systen.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward in my quest. I may just need to hold off on getting the amp when it comes out in order to have ht money to pay for the pre amps that I need to get. lol....decisions.....
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
I would not be fearful of buying used. Unless I know the person personalty I don't believe how new the tubes are. I just assume that the tubes need to be replaced and factor that in. I have never had a problem and have bought everything used. I usually check my dealer to see if he has what I am looking for. He may know of a used piece coming in.

In general I prefer used over demo for tube electronics. A dealer leaves demo pieces on all day so they are ready when a customer comes in. They usually have a lot more hours than a used piece.

The Aesthetix Calypso Signature is very good but it is not as good as the Ref 5se. I know someone who has had both. He sold the Aesthetix to buy the Ref 5se. He now has a Ref 6. One of the things I like about the Ref series pieces is they have tubes in the power supply. I think this makes a noticeable difference in the sound. But in the end it all depends on what sounds best to you in your systen.
I would agree with the power supply and ARC sound. I switched from a fantastic sounding Ref 5SE to the Ref 10 with the separate power supply and the difference is clearly there. It applies to preamps and amplifiers also. The really good sounding units have really well built and regulated power supplies.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.