AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Precisely tuned to equipment . Possible?

I am planning to buy Transparent Audio Ref XL XLR inter connect cables.
From their web site, the more expensive model, the more precise they will tune network to match.

I curious how can they do that without measure our equipment?
I have ARC pre amps and from lab test on many magazines, ARC never have output impedance exactly
As published in specification. Some even have variation between two channels and frequency.

I would guess Transparent then can only roughly tune rather than precisely tuned the network even on the
OPUS level, as my equipment is less precise than their cables.

Just my two cents
toga
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Hi Toga.

Transparent has a database of input and output impedances for many components from many manufacturers. If they don't have it, they usually call the manufacturer to get the values and calibrate the cables to them. If you have the time to take or ship your components to Maine, I'm sure they can measure your components. However, I really don't think that this is really critical. My experience with TA has always been very positive. Their customer service is second to none. Best of luck with the cables.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 AM

Sanji,
Yes They are great, I have many of their products too.In my point is that
even on same model, output impedance of ARC pre amp varies from unit to unit up to around 5%.So it is impossible to make cable precisely matched without send unit to have measurement as you suggested, and of course I can't do that. Also impedance varies with frequency, so I don't know what value Transparent will use as a base line to calibrate the network.
To be more specific, should I better use normal Reference which have only 2 factory options, tuned for tube or for solid state, rather than XL which is far more costly and can't be make exactly matched anyway, due to imprecise specification of my pre amp.

Toga
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Toga
I agree that Transparent's doubling of price to go from one level to the next is a bit hard to swallow, only you can answer if the additional cost is worth it to you.

At the Reference level your choices are either hi-rez or low rez. With my gear they supplied hi-rez for my interconnects and low rez for amp to speaker.

There are supposed to be some other "improvements" going from Reference to Reference XL other than specific tuning for the exact impedance of each of your components. If you you would like to know more I would give them a call, they are helpful.

I wouldn't worry about 5%-10% fluctuations. I guess we either buy into their philosophy or not. Myself, I have other ways spend my audio dollars before I would consider moving up to Ref XL, Ref MM or Opus.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Based on own experience. every step up will bring improvements, but not as parabolic as
the price climb.
Now all my interconnects are Ultra MM2 Series. Only speaker cables are Reference MM2 calibrated for low Z, and
having headache as new amp is tube hi Z which not compatible with current calibration.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 10-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA
Sanji,
Yes They are great, I have many of their products too.In my point is that
even on same model, output impedance of ARC pre amp varies from unit to unit up to around 5%.So it is impossible to make cable precisely matched without send unit to have measurement as you suggested, and of course I can't do that. Also impedance varies with frequency, so I don't know what value Transparent will use as a base line to calibrate the network.
To be more specific, should I better use normal Reference which have only 2 factory options, tuned for tube or for solid state, rather than XL which is far more costly and can't be make exactly matched anyway, due to imprecise specification of my pre amp.

Toga
Hi TOGA.

I am meeting the Director of Sales at Transparent who is a friend of mine tomorrow and will ask him the question. Personally my experience with the Ref series with the exception of Opus, which has not been in my system is that with each step there is a noticeable improvement. For instance, going from Ref to Ref XL, the bass becomes more defined & tight. The highs become more extended, but not to the point of being bright or analytical. The mids become more natural and very musical. There is a huge improvement in soundstage, where it becomes more wider and deeper and more defined (more 3D). Also the music plays louder. You will experience a similar improvement when you go to Ref MM2. Speaking to dealers, the Ref MM2 gets to about 95% of the Opus and shines mostly with cost no object speakers. I am one of those crazy people who has speaker cables that are more expensive than the speakers themselves, but my rationale for going that direction is, I will never again buy speaker cables. Anyway, only you can decide if the upgrade is worth the expense.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 AM

So speaking to David of Transparent Audio, what he said is that when calibrating cables, what they do is measure the output impedance of multiple frequencies and average out the impedance for calibration.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks Sanji. Yep, i am looking forward for your answer.
As I guess, it is averaged.., not a precisely tuned.
But, anyway, I always enjoy their products.
Toga
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Just out of curiosity, when they calibrate the cables, how are they doing it?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm
Just out of curiosity, when they calibrate the cables, how are they doing it?
They send in a signal or signals of various frequency into a component and measure the output impedance. Then they take an average of the the output impedances and calibrate the cable. One of the advantages of impedance matching and network cables is that different frequencies arrive at the same time at the end of the cable as it entered the cable. This helps in attaining accurate phase & coherence and also linearity in sound.