AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
The philanthropy and donation are relatively new including giving money to its children. It was different in his first 50 or so years. He has a reputation as a cheapskate and well deserved in my opinion.

The author is quite balanced and leaning more toward him as you can read that she tries to redeem him at the end. But still I was left disappointed.

You should read the book !
Thanks..it's on my list.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 AM

In 2008 whilst doing the grand tour of the parks in Southern Utah on the mighty BMW k1200s I was taken out by a Lincoln Towncar. It was in the town of Fredonia AZ next to Kanab UT.I ended up with a couple of broken ribs and some missing gear.I put up a reward sign at the SinClair. I rode down to vegas got a replace helmet and had the bike checked out. I got a call about my gear and returned to Fredonia/Kanab toretrieve my stuff. I was in the the USPS parking lot listening to the kids talking about "skinwalkers" and Black Mesa. I asked what they were talking about and it was the Tony Hillerman book they were reading.When I got back homeI picked up a book to read on a plane trip.Within a few months I read all of his mysteries involving 2 Navajo cops. I tried other authors and none were up to Hillermans story telling. In 2012 I was at Chaco Canyon ruins and bought a Indian mystery at the book store . Now in 2015 I'm finally reading it and its quite good. I will buy the 2 other books in the series( hopefully they are not the 650pages this one is). The book that has me captivated is "BoneWalker" written by husband and wife archaeologist Kathleen and Michael Gear. Its a murder mystery that takes place in Chaco Canyon.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearspot View Post
In 2008 whilst doing the grand tour of the parks in Southern Utah on the mighty BMW k1200s I was taken out by a Lincoln Towncar. It was in the town of Fredonia AZ next to Kanab UT.I ended up with a couple of broken ribs and some missing gear.I put up a reward sign at the SinClair. I rode down to vegas got a replace helmet and had the bike checked out. I got a call about my gear and returned to Fredonia/Kanab toretrieve my stuff. I was in the the USPS parking lot listening to the kids talking about "skinwalkers" and Black Mesa. I asked what they were talking about and it was the Tony Hillerman book they were reading.When I got back homeI picked up a book to read on a plane trip.Within a few months I read all of his mysteries involving 2 Navajo cops. I tried other authors and none were up to Hillermans story telling. In 2012 I was at Chaco Canyon ruins and bought a Indian mystery at the book store . Now in 2015 I'm finally reading it and its quite good. I will buy the 2 other books in the series( hopefully they are not the 650pages this one is). The book that has me captivated is "BoneWalker" written by husband and wife archaeologist Kathleen and Michael Gear. Its a murder mystery that takes place in Chaco Canyon.
I'm also a big fan of Hillerman's writing, and have read all his works. A few years ago my wife gave me a copy of "Hillerman Country: A Journey Through the Southwest With Tony Hillerman", and we spent some time in the Four Corners area exploring some of the locations he describes so eloquently, including Window Rock, Chinle, Canyon de Chelly, etc. We had a great time and his descriptions of the landscape are so evocative that in many of these locations I felt like I had already been there and knew them.

Thanks for the tip on Kathleen and Michael Gear.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 09-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 PM

Kissinger 1923-1968: The Idealist by Niall Ferguson

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM

Just finished "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown. An inspiring and well written history of the 1936 Olympic gold medal 8-man rowing team from the U of Washington.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-31-2015, 02:55 PM
From the BAT cave ...

SPQR by Mary Beard. It is a history of Ancient Rome, of course. Just started today, but it is surprisingly engaging.

Last edited by chessman; 12-31-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:50 AM

The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:46 PM

The Last Neanderthal: The Rise, Success, and Mysterious Extinction of Our Closest Human Relatives
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last.jpg (45.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Just started reading Tom Clancy - Without Remorse

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 PM

Killing the rising sun
current set up, mc-602, mr-85, c-45, mcd-301, jl fathom f-113 x 2, jl cr-1, legacy focus20/20, dbx14/10, sae 5000a, mmf 7.3, ortofon blue, cardas cables, monster hts5100 mk2. infinity monitor jr. with soft dome miss and tweets plus a half dozen other receivers, speakers, cd players etc.