AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
You wife is an angel of angels.

I am lucky I am allowed a Sonos Play:5 in our bedroom.

Lol!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Congrats! It's all about compromise, isn't it?
Thanks, cohibaman.

And yes on "compromise". I'm very lucky. When I started this mission-creep project, I didn't think I was going to get past the wall 244s and Monsters--and even that was a crap shoot. I was lucky because I had main-system traps I could cannibalize to demo the improvement rendered by a basic corner/wall setup. It was step-by-step from there to the first reflection point and then the second. And quite honestly, I think it's when she saw beach towels she'd just laundered hanging from the dresser's top drawers that she just gave up. Hence the 224s fronting the dresser.

What's good about it is that she likes what she's hearing even if Stonehenge Modern isn't quite what she'd envisioned as the room's motif.

--Jim
Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3's. Wireworld Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (BDP-83, PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Soffit traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Solstice mini-to-RCA IC, Counterpoint SA2000, c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable, Uptone Audio REGEN, TEAC UD-501, c-j Sonographe SC25 (about to be replaced by Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive preamp), c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5, WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Tara speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Mini (under SC25 and SA250) GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Default A revised assessment

"Quick listens" can be deceptive. I'd said in an earlier post that I noted no significant performance differences between the single 244 centered in front of the dresser and a pair of 224s separated by a few inches from each other so their outer edges were closer to their respective speakers' inner edges.

Long-term listens comparing the two configurations knock that initial assessment into a cocked hat. There is a difference...and while not earth-shaking, it isn't subtle.

The bottom line is that the separated-224 placement elicits more overall detail, more impactful, better-defined bass (thereby lending more foundational weight to a given performance), and a somewhat greater sense of intra-soundstage space (assuming that the performers haven't been hard-panned into the confines of one speaker or the other).

In this instance--and I put it that way because I consider my experience as descriptive of a particular setup rather than one-size-fits-all prescriptive--it appears that the separated-panel placement more effectively mitigates the SBIR presented by the dresser than the single 244 which leaves a larger reflective surface immediately adjacent to each speaker.

Jim
Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3's. Wireworld Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (BDP-83, PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Soffit traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Solstice mini-to-RCA IC, Counterpoint SA2000, c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable, Uptone Audio REGEN, TEAC UD-501, c-j Sonographe SC25 (about to be replaced by Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive preamp), c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5, WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Tara speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Mini (under SC25 and SA250) GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Default And a "height matters" p.s....

Having set the 224s atop DIY 4½"-tall "stands" (read "cut-to-size wood scraps") so the traps cover the full height of the dresser, I decided to elevate the sitting-on-the-floor first- and second-reflection-point 244s an equal amount.

Since I have lots of wood scraps, I did it just for the heck of it and didn't expect to hear any difference. When I flop on the bed for a listening session, my ear height is about 41", and a flush-to-the-floor mounting puts the 244's top at 48". So, even discounting the panel's ¾" frame thickness, that leaves the "un-standed" 244's absorptive surface extending about 6¼" above my ears. More than enough, right, to deal with the chest-high curtained window on one side and a louvered-wood-closet door on the other?

Uh-uh.

I ran listening comparison tests, using a DSD128 download of Antal Dorati conducting Igor Stravinsky's Firebird (Mercury), a 16/44 rip of Eije Oue conducting the final movement of Aaron Copland's Third Symphony (Reference Recordings), a 16/44 rip of the "Rhythm" movement of Eric Coates' Four Centuries (ASV), a DXD download of William Steinberg conducting the second movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 ("Eroica") (Command), and a 16/44 rip of Sarah Vaughan singing "Fascinating Rhythm" from her collaboration with Michael Tilson Thomas in Gershwin Live (Columbia).

In each instance, I heard greater focus and clarity and a bit more bass solidity with the 244s elevated on their makeshift stands. The differences were significant enough to rule out confirmation bias as a factor.

I also didn't hear any static. I told my wife what I was up to, she took one look at the elevated 244s, and said, "Oh." That was it. So now I'm going to fashion permanent stands out of some decent red oak.

As always, I present this as descriptive of this particular listening environment and not one-size-fits-all prescriptive. Well, except for maybe one thing. I've always found an understanding significant other to be indispensable with this sort of thing.

Jim

Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Amazing how many ways sound can be improved. And by tiny increments.
Magnepan 3.7 with modified crossovers. Cary Audio 500.1 Solid State Monoblocks. Cary Audio Tube Preamp. Esoteric KO3X Sacd player,Dac. Linn Majik DS Streamer. Linn Fm Tuner. McIntosh 1700 Tuner. TTW Turntable with Jelco ARM Modified 11 inch. Ortofon Quintet Black Cartridge. Aesthetic IO with Single Separate power supply. JL Audio F113, PS Audio P 10 Power Conditioner. PS Audio Dectet. Ps Audio Power Port Outlets. PS Audio Noise Harvesters. Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 XLR Cables. Gold Eclipse 6 Speaker Cables.Silver Electra 7 Power Cables. GIK acoustics Sound Panels.Omnimount 42 u Rack with AC Infinity fans and controllers. A work in Progress.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaracer1 View Post
Amazing how many ways sound can be improved. And by tiny increments.
In some respects, audio, like football, is a game of inches.

Now that the trap configuration is set, I'll turn to building a lower-profile, shallower equipment rack to reduce what I can of left-front SBIR.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 PM

Default "...a game of inches..."

The next step in my "Stonehenge-the-Bedroom-System" project focused on the following question:

Would a change from this...

to this...

effect a perceptible improvement, if any, in what I hear at my bed-top listening position? If so, to what extent? And would the improvement warrant continuation to the next step, an attempt to reduce SBIR further by replacing the equipment cabinet with an open-frame "flexy" rack to present even less reflective surface, particularly from the rack's right side, to the close-aboard left speaker?

The change you see in the two photos was accomplished by lopping the top five inches off the cabinet (including the cabinet top) with a portable Skil saw.

That lowered the laptop (and its opened-out-during-playback reflective screen) about six inches. The chop job also allowed me to lower the left-corner 244 two-and-a-half inches so that it now hangs at the same height as the front wall's center Monster and right 244 and lowers it relative to the left Paradigm Studio 20 so the speaker "sees" a tad more of the 244's absorptive surface behind it.

I frankly didn't expect to hear much, if any, difference in the sonic presentation, since the laptop's open screen still presents a substantial reflective surface immediately behind the speaker.

Whoops, was I ever surprised. No, the bedroom wasn't transformed into the Concertgebouw as I listened to familiar rips and hi-rez downloads with the "five-inch tweak" in play. But more instrumental and spatial-cue detail became evident on the left side, "opening up" the overall presentation and rendering it a more coherent whole, both laterally and fore-and-aft, increasing the sensation of "step into the soundstage and touch someone" where the mixing engineer hasn't gone pan-pot crazy.

Well worth the sawing and sanding time...and an impossible-to-ignore incentive to get cracking on the open-frame rack.

Jim

Last edited by jimtranr; 05-11-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo