AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 03-18-2017, 09:42 PM

I have listened extensively to Gryphon products including the Diablo 300( which is my top choice for an integrated) since we have a dealer in Cape Town, about 30min drive from my home.

Count me a huge fan, the products are simply in a different class. Gryphon would be my choice if I had no limits on a budget.
Pioneer N-70A Network player, Esoteric C-03, Burmester 911 MK3, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Furutech Daytona 303, Furutech Powerflux (2.5m), Isotek Syncro EVO3 DC Blocking PC (3m), Furutech FLUX 50, Nordost QV2, Interconnect & Speaker Cabling: Furutech. USB, Wireworld Starlight USB 3 A-B. Rega RP8 / Apheta2, Rega Aria.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 AM

I agree Gryphon is very special. The sense of speed and realism that my Diablo 300 presents in combination with a lot of spacial information really brings me to the set of the musicians.
Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Gryphon Diablo 300 with internal DAC, Brinkmann Bardo w 10.0 arm & Lyra Etna, Heimdall 2 DIN-XLR phono cable, Röcklinger PHA2 RIAA, Oppo 105, Isotek Sigmas Evo3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoint Ultra Mini & Ultra SS. Anthem MRX710, Audiovector KXX surround speakers, JVC X30 projector, Euroscreen Linea Tab tention 117 inches (16:9), Two Velodyne DD10 subwoofers.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM

Anyone managed to compare the Diablo 300 to Pass X250.8 or X350.8? I prefer the Pass Labs dealer locally or I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Diablo.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM

That would be an interesting comparison.
As you know the Pass gear you are referring to are power amps and the Diablo 300 is an integrated amp.
What pre amp do you have today to go with the Pass Labs?
I have not heard the machines side by side in the same system.
But my guess is that if you are looking for a slightly richer and fuller sound - Pass could be the better choice. But if speed and dynamics is higher on your agenda the Diablo might a better match. Both are IMO slightly on the warmer side.
I think it all comes down to personal preferences and system integration.
Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Gryphon Diablo 300 with internal DAC, Brinkmann Bardo w 10.0 arm & Lyra Etna, Heimdall 2 DIN-XLR phono cable, Röcklinger PHA2 RIAA, Oppo 105, Isotek Sigmas Evo3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoint Ultra Mini & Ultra SS. Anthem MRX710, Audiovector KXX surround speakers, JVC X30 projector, Euroscreen Linea Tab tention 117 inches (16:9), Two Velodyne DD10 subwoofers.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

I currently use a Ayre QX-5 twenty as a DAC/Pre and would look to upgrade to a standalone pre in future.

With the Diablo I would not need to bother with a preamp, and the Pass integrated seems to be using the XP10 which is far from their top of the line preamps. Going with their power amp would let me have more options in future. Tube amp perhaps?

Gryphon separates are out of the question for me, considering their price and size.