AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 12-29-2015, 02:28 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

My GAT was one of the first and after six or eight years is only on it's second or third set of tubes... I don't understand why others seem to be having difficulty with tubes. Maybe we should all resist tapping on tubes to see if they are noisy. Looks like they are upgrading the power supply and audio circuits to increase capacity and sound quality. Tube changes are about a quality supply of tubes providing good sound. So, no conspiracy to report. I'll bet that new NOS tube they are now using is plug and play in your GAT; will sound wonderful and last a good long time.
Happy new year...
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 01-26-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
My GAT was one of the first and after six or eight years is only on it's second or third set of tubes... I don't understand why others seem to be having difficulty with tubes. Maybe we should all resist tapping on tubes to see if they are noisy. Looks like they are upgrading the power supply and audio circuits to increase capacity and sound quality. Tube changes are about a quality supply of tubes providing good sound. So, no conspiracy to report. I'll bet that new NOS tube they are now using is plug and play in your GAT; will sound wonderful and last a good long time.
Happy new year...
Bob
Same here.. no GAT Tube problems whatsoever.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Hey Ray,

You know they have just introduced the GAT Series 2 with more teflon caps and an even further beefed up power supply. I think our units can be upgraded. They haven't figured out the cost yet. It also uses seven volt tubes for increased reliability.

Tempting.

Stay warm up there.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM

I'm having a look into the upgrade. My initial thought was "no way I'm messing with this".. I'm so happy with the system as it's been for the last year or so. It's so nice just enjoying the music when I'm not angling for yet another tweak or "upgrade".

But now... , yea assuming it's not too crazy expensive to do, I'll probably do it.

Two feet of snow on the ground and 28 degrees this morning, lovely, just lovely.

Last edited by Rayooo; 01-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:39 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Well... we await the number. Two issues for me; being without my GAT and shipping from Florida. When I lived in Maryland I'd just drive an amp over for repair or upgrade...guess it could be insured for shipping.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Well... we await the number. Two issues for me; being without my GAT and shipping from Florida. When I lived in Maryland I'd just drive an amp over for repair or upgrade...guess it could be insured for shipping.
The update will run $4000; the price of the GAT series 2 is now $24,000.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plurn View Post
According to a post by Joeinid on another forum, the new GAT series II will use PCC88 tubes.

"Additionally, the tube complement is changed to incorporate PCC88 tubes, of which we have acquired a stock that we are reserving for GAT preamplifiers"

In my mind that could be taken as a kind of recognition/admission by Conrad-Johnson that the GAT is hard on tubes since PCC88 are 7 volt tubes (like 7dj8) rather than 6.3 volt for 6922. That is only in my mind though - they have not admitted anything in reality.
That could very well one of the reasons. I am not sure if the 220/240 volt countries have had the most issues with the GAT being hard on 6922 tubes.

touch wood, my telefunken's are still going strong but one should not have to spend that much $$ ti have a long lasting tube.

Anyone know what the sound quality difference will be from V1 to v2.
Hard to think of any specific sonic weaknesses on the GAT V1.

cheers
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Boo Hoo. that is not far at all.

I live in Australia
Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Well... a point well taken. My concern isn't the distance, but the value if the GAT is lost. Insure it and overnight shipping I guess.

Last edited by Coppy; 01-28-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Some people are probably sick of this thread, but I thought I should report on my latest experiences. Especially since it seems to be good news for a change.

At the start of this year I purchased 6 x PCC88/7DJ8 tubes to use in my ET5. These are "new old stock" tubes that were purchased untested at very reasonable prices. I am against paying a lot of money for tubes since I have had such bad luck with their longevity in the ET5.

I tested each tube in the ET5 for a very short while to evaluate their sound and to make sure they were not faulty. All were good.

Tubes are:
2 x Matsushita / National 7DJ8 / PCC88
4 x Philips PCC88. I believe this is the same tube that CJ supplies to GAT users now but I did not purchase these from CJ.

All tubes sounded good, I noted the following at the time:

Matsushita - Quiet. I actually hear very faint hiss right near the speaker as low as 1 (lowest volume) on ET5 though it stay very faint up to about 55. Gets more noticeable at 70 right near speaker. No tings changing volume.

Philips - Quiet. Very faint hiss at 81 on ET5 with ears near speaker. Noticeable above 90. No tings changing volume.

With the Philips tubes, the very faint hiss was at different volume levels for each tube. The lowest level that hiss was noticeable was at 68 for one of the tubes which is a very high volume that I never use for listening. So basically they are very quiet tubes. The Matsushita are also very quiet - just slightly noisier than the Philips.

The comment about the "No tings changing volume." is because a lot of "new old stock" tubes make a sound like a bell ting when changing volume on my ET5. The relays clicking when changing volume must really shake the tube around. This is only a problem when changing volume and is not a problem when listening. These Matsushita and Philips tubes do not have this problem.

Over the course of this year I used 1000 hours on one of the Matsushita and it still sounded good by the end of that 1000 hours. I also used 1000 hours on one of the Philips tubes and it still sounded good by the end of that 1000 hours. I noted the following at the end of the 1000 hours on the Philips:
Still sounds good. At ear next to tweeter can hear very slight hiss at 35 and above on left channel, at 1 and above on right channel. But stays pretty quiet even up to 90 on both channels.

I will continue to use both of these tubes - I just picked 1000 hours as a good amount of time*. It is 4 times longer than most tubes have lasted in my ET5. It will be interesting to see how long they last for - hopefully at least 1500 hours or more.

So I am hopeful that these tubes will work around the issue I have been having with short tube life on my ET5. With a sample of only 2 tubes (one of each brand) so far there is no certainty that all these tubes will be good but I am hopeful. While I am happy with both brands of tube, when purchasing more I will just get the Philips as they are quieter (slightly less noise) and the cost is the same.

GAT users wanting to use these Philips tubes can probably buy them from CJ. ET5 and ET3 users would probably need to find another supplier as I believe CJ has written the following in regards to the GAT2 "Additionally, the tube complement is changed to incorporate PCC88 tubes, of which we have acquired a stock that we are reserving for GAT preamplifiers."

So I tentatively recommend the Philips PCC88 tubes for people experiencing short tube life with their recent CJ preamplifiers, if you can obtain them new for a reasonable price. That may change to a full recommendation after a few years if more of these tubes last a relatively long time for me.

Anthony

* Is it sad that my expectations have lowered so much that I think that reaching 1000 hours of tube life is something to be happy about? Other people think small signal tubes should last anywhere from 1500 hours to 10,000. Oh well - regardless of that - 1000 hours is relatively a good long time so I am happy about it for now.