AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Serge...here is a thread on Agon that could give you some additional ideas:

AudiogoN Forums: Tube-friendly speakers
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I have an opportunity to acquire Lamm ML2.1 18w SET monoblocks and I am just throwing some ideas around in my head how to set up a system around them.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I have an opportunity to acquire Lamm ML2.1 18w SET monoblocks and I am just throwing some ideas around in my head how to set up a system around them.
I figured as much Serge... I am assuming this will be the basis for a second system. This thread on Agon should be very helpful as it is from an owner of Lamm ML2.1s looking for advice on high-efficiency tube-friendly speakers to match them with. I didn't read the whole thing but it looks like there were many answers so hopefully something good in there for you to follow up on. Good luck. And if you pull the trigger on this new system, we want pics

Here you go: AudiogoN Forums: High efficiency speakers
Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I figured as much Serge... I am assuming this will be the basis for a second system. This thread on Agon should be very helpful as it is from an owner of Lamm ML2.1s looking for advice on high-efficiency tube-friendly speakers to match them with. I didn't read the whole thing but it looks like there were many answers so hopefully something good in there for you to follow up on. Good luck. And if you pull the trigger on this new system, we want pics

Here you go: AudiogoN Forums: High efficiency speakers
Yep, another system that I have in mind for tubes, either Lamm or Shindo and higher efficiency speakers. I keep spending an awful amount of time listening to my Lamm LL2 Deluxe tubed preamp and M1.2s, the Ayre KX-R, as amazing of a preamp as it is, just doesn't get as much play time in this system and may have to go. The Lamm on Lamm combo is simply magic so I started to wonder what if the ML2.1s could be even more fun.... You know how that goes.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

I've had excellent results with Verity and tubes. I used the Sarastro II's for most of the year last year, and you should be able to get great results from the 18w Lamms. I've also had great results with a few of their other speakers.

But aren't your sahas about 92-93db? That's about the same as the Verity... Might want to try em there first. Actually, the best wilson sound I've ever heard was with the Nagra 50 watt tube (845) amps. Doesn't Lamm have a tube amp in that range? Might be the slice of heaven you're looking for with the speakers you've got.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Jeff...the Sashas dip down to 1.8ohms at 92Hz so they will need some oomph behind them for them no to sound thin in the low frequencies. I am sure Serge can elaborate further on this though.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jeff...the Sashas dip down to 1.8ohms at 92Hz so they will need some oomph behind them for them no to sound thin in the low frequencies. I am sure Serge can elaborate further on this though.
I think you are overstating any major problem the Sasha's may present to mid power tube gear. As I posted elsewhere here I spent some time listening to 90 WPC tube mono blocks easily drive the Sasha's no matter the content.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 AM

Jim I have the 18 watters in mind. Actually no tube amps like what is almost a dead short to them at 1.8 ohms.

Yes the Sasha are over 91db but the bigger determining factor is the tube friendly impedance. Most of the speakers discussed in this thread shoot for at least 8 ohm nominal. Tube amps get sucked dry by low or fluctuating impedance curves with dips.

The higher efficiency will allow louder playback but tube friendly impedance is where it's at if the amp is to sound it's best. The Maxx 3 is actually an easier speaker to drive by the way.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I think you are overstating any major problem the Sasha's may present to mid power tube gear. As I posted elsewhere here I spent some time listening to 90 WPC tube mono blocks easily drive the Sasha's no matter the content.
Jim...the question related to the Lamm ML 2.1s driving the Sasha. The ML2.1s are 18wpc SET amps. I wouldn't call those mid-powered tube amps. Just my take on it. Thx
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Serge beat me to it...yep