AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 AM

Jim...I think you hit the nail on the head with the approach i have taken when auditioning speakers, which is, if you hear a set of speakers that float your boat (in whatever environment outside your home environment - dealer, show, friend's home, etc...), you are at least sure that the speakers are capable of generating that sonic presentation that you were drawn to. So then any differences in that sonic presentation when those speakers get into your system at home can be addressed via changes to speaker-room interface thru treatments/placement and associated gear. What one misses however are those speakers that can generate that sonic presentation that you are seeking but that are improperly set-up (again at the dealer or in a show setting) and you end up writing them off because of a poor audition. At the end of the day, you have to assume that the dealer or manufacturer know how to properly system match and set-up their speakers to show them off in the best light possible. Unfortunately this is not always the case and you end up dismissing some excellent speakers because they were badly presented.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Jim,

You have given your post alot of thought, all good points. I don't think you missed anything except sometimes you just want something different
That is what has driven virtually all of my speaker changes. I had a lot of different speakers, then settled on Klipschorns for 10 years. Had another batch of speakers, then settled on my current LS360's for about 8 years and counting. I find it almost impossible to put into words why I have been unhappy with so many speakers and happy with so few. It is more of a feeling than something easily quantifiable.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
What one misses however are those speakers that can generate that sonic presentation that you are seeking but that are improperly set-up (again at the dealer or in a show setting) and you end up writing them off because of a poor audition. At the end of the day, you have to assume that the dealer or manufacturer know how to properly system match and set-up their speakers to show them off in the best light possible. Unfortunately this is not always the case and you end up dismissing some excellent speakers because they were badly presented.
You are correct. I am sure we have all written off one speaker or another too soon.

I almost did that with my MBL's. Like many others I previously checked off the box in my head that says, "yes, they image very good". Well the MBL's did not seem to have the pinpoint imaging of my previous or many other speakers, so why could I not stop coming back to them. Do not get me wrong vocals and instruments are right there where they are supposed to be and the speakers perform a disappearing act. Since they are omni-directional in the mid's and highs their strength is sounding like you are listening to a "live" performance. It was then I realized why I was enjoying the sound when they were not the best in this other area. Now this may not be to everyone's taste.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 AM
McKlipschead

Another important factor in auditioning speakers is to listen to representative music from your collection. Speakers that perform well with certain types of music may not live up to your expectations in other areas. An example from my experience would be Maggies, they are so strong with vocals, Jazz quartets and smaller venues, but just don't get it done for me with rock and roll...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Love Those Tunes

Another factor would be deciding what type of drivers best deliver to your ears what you are seeking, with your current audio components, with the music you listen to often, and in the room of your choice. You can always change the components, music, and room. But filtering out drivers that don't quite get the job done would be a big step in minimizing the amount of time spent in reaching your goal of audio bliss (or lounging, as some would prefer).
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
Another important factor in auditioning speakers is to listen to representative music from your collection. Speakers that perform well with certain types of music may not live up to your expectations in other areas. An example from my experience would be Maggies, they are so strong with vocals, Jazz quartets and smaller venues, but just don't get it done for me with rock and roll...
I carry one or two compilation discs with me that have all types of music. Male and female vocals, one Operatic aria (even though I seldom listen to this genre) instrumentals, complex music, guitar music , etc. It is funny I have heard certain tracks on one system or another that have never been bettered on another system.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Music Lover

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX View Post
I used to have a few pairs of speakers to switch around from time to time but I kept going back to my JM Lab as reference. I still have some bookselfs speakers to fool around with but not big ones. If you can keep two or three pairs around for when you feel like changing things up you can without buying new ones. I do that with amps & pre-amps too.
Good point. I have been going back and forth with my Cremonas and VMPS for several months now. It's fun to do this. Each time I switch I decide that the one's I just hooked back up are the ones I need to keep. And then, a few weeks later I switch back and decide these are the better. It's kinda fun. It's like getting something new each time you switch. I know, sounds kinda sick....

I do have a couple of dream speakers in mind though. One pair I was drawn to in a showroom, the other pair I hear so much positive about them on AA that I would like to try those babies in my home too.

I will say that sometimes the new is not always an improvement over the old. And a higher price doesn't seem to always mean better.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Good point. I have been going back and forth with my Cremonas and VMPS for several months now.
Which of the VMPS speakers do you own? One local dealer used to have the Elixir's set-up. These were very impressive speakers with some of the better bass I have heard.

Last edited by Still-One; 11-30-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Music Lover

RM 30's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vanessa & Friends October 2009 246.jpg (85.3 KB, 29 views)
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
RM 30's
Very nice. I think Brian's speakers are very underrated.