AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 AM

TacT Audio was another, subsequently absorbed in Lyngdorf. Unsuccessfully joint marketed with Dali for awhile.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Bodhisattva

D = duck
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
For my ears, Class D is here to stay. Current crop is much improved from past generations that I have owned. Hypex NCore NC400 amp module and SMPS600 Power Supply are sold direct for the DIY customer.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS600_Datasheet.pdf

Purchased two amp modules and two power supplies from Hypex and then sent them to my friend Matt from Aluminati Sound to be installed in mono block cases that he designed, programmed and machined. Big Thanks to Matt for doing the final assembly as well which provided me with an outstanding pair of turn-key mono blocks!.

Each case starts out as a raw block of 6061-T6 aluminum at 29.5 lbs and after hogging it out, it now weighs 11.5 lbs. The amp module and PSU boards bolt in the case very neatly. Threads have been masked inside the case to provide a ground link for earth, the PSU screw and the nAmpon wire. High quality connectors are used in these cases, a Furutech IEC, Cardas XLR and a set of WBT posts. The case has been anodized black. All the screws provided with these cases are stainless steel. Rubber feet are attached to the bottom of the case.
Wow!!!! I want a set of those!

I'm a class D fan. If there's compromised sound I can't hear it. I've owned and loved the NAD M2 and now have the wyred4sound sti1000 which I also love. Bought the W4S amp on a lark and didn't think it had a chance of staying in my system. So what I'm saying is, I was predisposed to dismiss it before I even hooked it up. But after hooking it up I fell in love with it. Superb sound and when I compare it to say a pair of parasound JC1s, the size and weight difference not to mention my utility bill make the decision a no brainier. Power is massive at 1100 w@4ohms. Runs cool. Takes up little shelf space. Doesn't look like much though. Oh, and the damping factor is super high at 2000!

I think there's just unwarranted prejudice against class D. I think that much of the supposed negatives with class D is listener placebo effect. People are greatly influenced by all the misinformation and public skepticism about the product. Like it or not, this hobby has a major snob component and my class D amp might have a massive damping factor, but its bling factor is near zero. Although, those ncore beauties are an exception for sure, wow again!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM

The only class D amp in my home is my Pioneer SCLX 71 HT amp, which is used only to amplify the center and the surrounds.
I'm not a HT guy anyway.
Did not hear all the class D amps available on the market, but all the ones I listened to missed to make me vibrate.
Of course, they are extremely efficient, have a terrific bass, drive and control of the speakers, they also have very impressive specs, but I'm not hearing the emotions I'm used to with conventional amps.
I guess they are just not for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 AM

I have a Tripath Class D unit as my backup amp. At the time I bought it I preferred it to the ICE designs. I've used it a couple of times for a few days each occasion and its been satisfactory. It's small enough and light enough to keep in the closet for emergencies.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

jaxwired.......The Wyred4Sound sti1000 looks to be an exceptional Class D amplifier. The use of the Bang & Olufsen's ICEpower 1000ASP amplifier and power supply modules is a wise choice.

The damping factor you stated will vary and is dependent on output impedance. It can be as high as 2000 or as low as 500. Both limits are respectable but the highest number offers the best woofer control.

Here is the White Paper on the B&O ICEpower 1000ASP. It is an impressive amplifier with some excellent features.

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com...000aspdata.pdf

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Hi Dan, thanks for the info.

I'm expecting a new generation of W4S products in 2014. Should be interesting.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Interesting to note that the B&O ICEpower 1000ASP amplifier and power supply module's EMI filtering provides a CE and FCC approved design.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Learning to Listen

I'm hoping a range of Class D amps emerge that will be able to compete with the best A A/B amps in terms of SQ. The less power usage the better. I really enjoyed the Bel Canto 500M's. Should have bought 'em.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I like Class D for HT, but not serious two channel listening.