AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 PM

Well just eliminated a nasty hum, because of Tubes that needed replacing as well as 2 pairs of interconnects and now back to nice blackness.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 PM

My room is way noisier than I like. Seattle. Airport 17 miles as the crow flies. Highway about 2 blocks away. At least Im on the top falling away side of a hill so the downstairs is not as affected by the highway as the upstairs bedroom. 10 feet of glass window in a 17 x 19 room. Sub Zero refer through a 4' x 8' passway to kitchen. I got noise. It really affects quiet listening. Sucks cause I really play my music at maybe 60 to 70 db level so I notice the environment.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
...Sub Zero refer through a 4' x 8' passway to kitchen.
Try putting a remote switch like an iDevices switch on the refrigerator so you can shut it off remotely for an hour or two when you want to do serious listening. Any modern fridge can sustain several hours without power without loss to temperature or causing any food problems.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Try putting a remote switch like an iDevices switch on the refrigerator so you can shut it off remotely for an hour or two when you want to do serious listening. Any modern fridge can sustain several hours without power without loss to temperature or causing any food problems.
Fine suggestion there.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
About 23 dB during office hours. Need to test it on the weekend.

Room in a room construction. Walls are isolated from building structure. Floor is suspended and vibration isolated. Dual doors with acoustic gaskets.

Most of the residual noise readings are infrasonic. When taking readings you have hold your breath and avoid any movement of clothing. It is a bit like being in a tomb. The biggest shock is when you come out of the room after being in there for some time.
Most listening rooms in a “quiet” residence only have a noise floor of 40 dB. 'About 23 dB during office hours' is *very* impressive.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 AM

My room, (20x30 addition built in the 70's) is about 35 using the iPhone DB app. My old Radio Shack DB meter that I bought sometime in the late 80's only goes down to 60 db.

When I listen to music I find 70-75 db peaks. I have noticed from time to time, that when nobody is in the house but me, the peaks can get to 85-90. Just sayin.

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
My room, (20x30 addition built in the 70's) is about 35 using the iPhone DB app. My old Radio Shack DB meter that I bought sometime in the late 80's only goes down to 60 db.

When I listen to music I find 70-75 db peaks. I have noticed from time to time, that when nobody is in the house but me, the peaks can get to 85-90. Just sayin.

- Bob
Bob,
Yours is a pretty good description of my environment as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 PM

I'm in a rural area, the free db meter goes between 19 - 21 in my listening room. Seems pretty quiet to me.