AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-27-2021, 12:01 PM

@bombadil

Won't know until you try. There is a 2nd hand pair of 150s and 120s on USAM right now. One set from an inspire owner. A local audio outfit had two plus one spare of KT150s a while back, might still have them, I was gonna grab them but mine are lasting a long time

Tried both, and much prefer the KT150s in three different amps I've tried them in, and with the right input/signal tubes in front of them, it really helps. Tried 120s for a bit, and running the 150s now in my other monos, liking them a lot and more so once I got the right input/signal tubes in front of them. Definitely worth a final test at least.

Last edited by Masterlu; 01-27-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: It is against forum rules to promote non-sponsors on the open forum. However this can be sent via PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM

Hilarious as I am the seller of the KT150s on USAM! I absolutely loved them in my Dennis amp but now have too many tubes so am doing a clear out. I've actually just posted them in the AA Marketplace. Mods, please remove if there is a policy against promoting a sale in these boards. Naturally I'm not getting rich and any $ I make is going to go right back into tubes for my Dennis Had Inspire amp! LOL. But as a relative noob here I don't want to step on any toes...

FWIW the 150s were once my favorite tube in the Inspire and I said so on this board...best bass of any tube I tried, and this was super important to me as I am the owner of a pair of finicky Altec 604 8G's.

In my system however I began to realize that I was missing a more holographic presentation w the 150s/5ar4 that I had with the less powerful output tubes and Sophia 274B. Again, in my system, w the 150s I was hearing more of a PP style: powerful, big, juicy, maybe at the expense of the SET spookiness. And I began to miss the spookiness. (That said, the Genalex KT77 has what I'm hearing as the best balance between big, juicy PP sound and spooky SET sound).

As always YMMV. The 150s probably have 20-30 hours (approximation). I may also sell a matched pair of original Svetlana Winged C 6550's, which were also great in the Inspire...
Old 01-28-2021, 01:52 AM

@oldominion,
For what its worth, 20-30hrs on Tung Sol KT150s is very little time if they were not already pre-burned in 75hrs by the seller. Some tube sellers run and test them 75hrs before they send them out. The current quad set i'm running now changed at 75-100hrs and again around 200hrs. Bias stays put now and they do sound different compared to the first 20hrs. I went back to my local dealer with the same amps, and his were at 300hrs, and we both agreed they did sound quite different from brand new. Worth the wait, at least in our cases.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:52 AM

One of the oddities of Dennis' PSE amp is that he states that it produces more output power with KT88 tubes than with KT150. 23wpc with KT88 and 21wpc with KT150. I have never seen this in any other amp. He's running the KT150s way, way under what they can handle.

Of course he would need to use larger OPTs if he pushed the KT150s hard.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:10 PM

Following up ...

One can get up to 54 wpc out of a PSE dual KT150 amp. Or even up to 36 wpc with them strapped in triode mode.

The new KT170 tubes will go even higher. Might be able to produce over 70 wpc in parallel single-ended. Those would need some serious iron in their OPTs.

I might break down and purchase another pair of KT150s to run a matched quad. You can get them new & tested for 24 hours for around $140/pr inc shipping, so that's not a terrible price. I'm just used to picking up tubes for no more than $30-$40 each.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 PM

Default Listening session...speaker evaluation

Hey guys, had a listening session with bearcity and Dennis today.
We listened to bearcitys beautiful prototype speakers.
A raw MDF version of an earlier design folded horn speaker cabinet with full range drivers.
And a pair of full range 15" driver speakers with ported cabinets.
As well as a larger folded horn cabinet with full range drivers.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We listened to a customers 45 amp that came in for some upgrades.
Very warm and silky.
The output tubes are a pair of Full Music 45's
It's suprising how loud two and a half watts can get on the right speakers.

[IMG][/IMG]

And then we tried out a double 6C5 adapter that bearcity brought in on Dennis's 6V6'er.
Very cool!
It rotates so you can fit it on different amp layouts.

[IMG][/IMG]

Took the 15" driver speakers back to Dennis's house for a little more listening.

[IMG][/IMG]

WOW!... it was a busy session but very productive.

The speakers with the 15"drivers were amazing, the ported cabinets made the bass very low but still articulate.
And being a single driver with no contour network they produce a very accurate soundstage, everything is where it should be.
The midrange is smooth and natural.
And the highs are sparkling.
So of course I ordered a pair...
I also need to mention that the new KT170 amp can also run KT88's
We will have the KT170 chassis back from the powder coater Monday so the first one should be up and running next week.
I'll post more pics of the build soon.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:06 AM

Lii Audio has a new 18 inch full range driver.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:59 PM

Yes. Much fun was had tat the toy factory. Image1611960968.321807.jpg

This picture was sent to the wife. She replied she would not expect me home for dinner.
Image1611961096.530673.jpg
Old 01-29-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Lii Audio has a new 18 inch full range driver.

A full 7kg more/pr than the F15... and 3”. Not sure what to do with them. [emoji848]
Old 01-30-2021, 08:29 AM

Awesome pics and updates! That is my 45 amp that I'm having Dennis play with a bit.

I've been chatting with Dennis about the 1/4 wave Fostex speakers but those 15" speakers are really inviting.

Any more info you can share as far as their sound and placement in the room?

Tim