AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Retired

Does anyone know where Dennis sources his chassis? I would like to have a couple of chassis made for a DIY project and am not having any luck finding a vendor who makes them.
Thanks.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-21-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Does anyone know where Dennis sources his chassis? I would like to have a couple of chassis made for a DIY project and am not having any luck finding a vendor who makes them.
Thanks.
This was discussed in the other thread some time ago. I believe the user "Straitwire" knows. He might even make them!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Has anyone used Emerald Physics speakers

I am awaiting delivery of a pair of Emerald Physics EP-4.4 speakers and I am wondering if anyone has used Emerald Physics speakers with their Inspire amps
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM

I use Martin Logan Spire speakers. I’m operating a fire bottle kt88 with an ls2 preamp.

Last edited by Coltrane1; 07-31-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Default Open baffle speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
24” with the height of center at 31” both of which are to my low end detriment. My architects eye may not allow for much wider in my living space but I am interested to hear about what you have found.
On a lark I bought a pair of 12 inch Zenith Alnico full range drivers that were used in upper end consoles, essentiallly open baffle, in the late 50's early 60's.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

Check out the Telefunken open back cabinets for full range drivers there too.

I did some research on OB's. After reading some posts by Randy Rash of Caintuck Audio on the Decware Forum I decided to contact him and and see if he would fabricate baffles for the Zeniths. His barrel design was the result of trial and error, but it works. I don't have a proper shop and it's his design.

I don't have room for Lii F-15's in my room.

These look interesting:

http://www.modelpromo.nl/The%20Liion...%20Speaker.htm
Old 08-01-2020, 09:35 AM

BC,

This is from a post by Ric Shultz about the speaker connections. There is a Lii 15 thread on Audio Circle.

There is much more to these drivers.....and all drivers.....if you hook them up in the most tweaky way. The binding posts on these speakers suck.....the life and transparency out of them.....and even worse is the steel or nickel plated (both magnetic) tabs that the speaker voice coil wires are soldered to. My fast 8s here have steel tabs, my friends 15s and his crystal 10s are steel and another persons 15 has slightly magnetic gold plated tabs.

My friend just called me today after removing the brass push on connectors and his steel tabs on his Lii 15 speakers and replaced all that junk with a four inch piece of Neotech 20 gauge litz PCOCC wire (available from Parts Connexion for $3.66 a foot).....I personally would double up the wire so would equal 17 gauge but here is what he said: Better in every way, more transparent, better imaging, more extended, better dynamics, more real.....etc. etc. etc. He strain relieved the wire by tying s small wire around the cotton coated litz wire and attached it to the empty holes where the binding posts were. You can do a more solid strain relief but you do not want any metal touching the wire. You could just change the magnetic tab to brass and solder your speaker wires right on the point where the voice coil wire meets the tab but the binding posts will still add a "bad sound" .......like a poor sounding ground enhancer. Yes, this is true....I have tried it.

All this is basically free, easy to do and totally transforming. But, if you like distortion then please do not do this......he he.

I just did up half of my fast 8s with doubled up Neotech 20 gauge so you can see what I am talking about. Crude strain relieving, for sure.....cardboard to keep the wire from being to close to the magnet assembly. If you added amazing goop it would hold pretty good. More substantial strain relieving.....and prettier can be done. Just wanted to give you an idea. You can see larger pics in my gallery.

By the way, the binding post and the washer and the nut and the solder tab all stuck to my magnet......simply crap!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
BC,

This is from a post by Ric Shultz about the speaker connections. There is a Lii 15 thread on Audio Circle.

There is much more to these drivers.....and all drivers.....if you hook them up in the most tweaky way. The binding posts on these speakers suck.....the life and transparency out of them.....and even worse is the steel or nickel plated (both magnetic) tabs that the speaker voice coil wires are soldered to. My fast 8s here have steel tabs, my friends 15s and his crystal 10s are steel and another persons 15 has slightly magnetic gold plated tabs.

My friend just called me today after removing the brass push on connectors and his steel tabs on his Lii 15 speakers and replaced all that junk with a four inch piece of Neotech 20 gauge litz PCOCC wire (available from Parts Connexion for $3.66 a foot).....I personally would double up the wire so would equal 17 gauge but here is what he said: Better in every way, more transparent, better imaging, more extended, better dynamics, more real.....etc. etc. etc. He strain relieved the wire by tying s small wire around the cotton coated litz wire and attached it to the empty holes where the binding posts were. You can do a more solid strain relief but you do not want any metal touching the wire. You could just change the magnetic tab to brass and solder your speaker wires right on the point where the voice coil wire meets the tab but the binding posts will still add a "bad sound" .......like a poor sounding ground enhancer. Yes, this is true....I have tried it.

All this is basically free, easy to do and totally transforming. But, if you like distortion then please do not do this......he he.

I just did up half of my fast 8s with doubled up Neotech 20 gauge so you can see what I am talking about. Crude strain relieving, for sure.....cardboard to keep the wire from being to close to the magnet assembly. If you added amazing goop it would hold pretty good. More substantial strain relieving.....and prettier can be done. Just wanted to give you an idea. You can see larger pics in my gallery.

By the way, the binding post and the washer and the nut and the solder tab all stuck to my magnet......simply crap!

Interesting stuff here FB. I’ve been focusing on the cabinet design and Looks like I need to look at the driver as well.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:30 PM

IMG_0162.jpg

Mock up baffle for the Lii F15.

61808884329__CAA33862-BB12-4B43-8CC5-0F95A2D09568.jpg

I found some bass in this box on the back.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting stuff here FB. I’ve been focusing on the cabinet design and Looks like I need to look at the driver as well.
You're welcome. It is possible to overthink and obsess.

More drivel:

https://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012...en-baffle.html

https://www.dhtrob.com/impressies/openbaffle_ems.php
Old 08-03-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Attachment 62549

Mock up baffle for the Lii F15.

Attachment 62550

I found some bass in this box on the back.
Looks good BC. How do they sound?

FWIW, I did read that OB's benefit from some room treatment behind and between the speakers.