AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Using anything other than exactly the same family for the center channel is a compromise of the sound, and you are spending a lot of money for that sound. Most speech comes from the center channel, but also from the left and right at the same time. Whether that sound disconnect is important and noticeable is a personal decision.

Because of that, I would reconsider the Sopra 3 with a Sopra Center if that works into your budget better.

Best of Luck!
Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 10-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Using anything other than exactly the same family for the center channel is a compromise of the sound, and you are spending a lot of money for that sound. Most speech comes from the center channel, but also from the left and right at the same time. Whether that sound disconnect is important and noticeable is a personal decision.

Because of that, I would reconsider the Sopra 3 with a Sopra Center if that works into your budget better.

Best of Luck!
Ron
I agree, IMO you're better off skipping the center with the Scalas and sticking with 2 channel. Everything will still be there, it's just rendered in PCM to 2 speakers. 2 really really good speakers in your case.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Hi guys,

As I am waiting for my Scala V2's I have been looking to buy a Center speaker. I can not understand what the difference is between the Sopra and Electra Center speakers. Can someone please point it out to me? Would any of those work well with the Scalas? Unfortunately, I can not afford the Utopia Center...
Are there any other Center speakers that I should consider besides those two?

Thank you!

The Sopra and Electra centers are the same speaker, just a cabinet aesthetic difference.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briweed View Post
The Sopra and Electra centers are the same speaker, just a cabinet aesthetic difference.
Thank you. So doesn’t really make sense for me to spend the extra money on a Sopra Center.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:38 AM

I am too considering a center speaker and unfortunately cannot create new posts yet so this thread is the closest i could find.

I currently have the complete Aria line and really like it. Liking it to the fact that i'm thinking of upgrading to Kanta no.3 or Sopra no.2.

Now, i'm thinking what to do with the center speaker. I'm guessing that if i go with the Kanta the fact that they use flax will go smoothly with my aria center and upgrading the center would not be a must. But if i go with the Sopra's, should i replace the center as well with the Sopra one?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvir View Post
I am too considering a center speaker and unfortunately cannot create new posts yet so this thread is the closest i could find.

I currently have the complete Aria line and really like it. Liking it to the fact that i'm thinking of upgrading to Kanta no.3 or Sopra no.2.

Now, i'm thinking what to do with the center speaker. I'm guessing that if i go with the Kanta the fact that they use flax will go smoothly with my aria center and upgrading the center would not be a must. But if i go with the Sopra's, should i replace the center as well with the Sopra one?

Thanks
Either the Sopra Center or Electra CC 1008 BE center will integrate perfectly with the Sopra mains and surrounds. The Electra CC 1008 BE center would be the best buy if you could still find one available.

Last edited by jayvis; 10-26-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Default What electronics do you use with your Scala?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Hi guys,

As I am waiting for my Scala V2's I have been looking to buy a Center speaker. I can not understand what the difference is between the Sopra and Electra Center speakers. Can someone please point it out to me? Would any of those work well with the Scalas? Unfortunately, I can not afford the Utopia Center...
Are there any other Center speakers that I should consider besides those two?

Thank you!
What electronics and sources do you use with your Scala?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 PM

For HT, the center channel is an absolute must. There is no way around it. So I guess, Scala must pair with the Sopra's center channel?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Either the Sopra Center or Electra CC 1008 BE center will integrate perfectly with the Sopra mains and surrounds. The Electra CC 1008 BE center would be the best buy if you could still find one available.

I confirm. The Sopra center is the Electra center but in a Sopra cabinet.
Prices are very low now, particularly in France, where you can get the Electra center with a large discount. In most countries, the Electra's are now running out, and the prices are really interesting now.