AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Shindo's "Sound"is old & dated and extreamly overrated".

hmm, so if Shindo is old and dated, what's the new and modern sound? Digital, harsh, grainy, cold and analytic? If that's what's considered modern I don't want any part of it thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Scott and Alberto make some very good points, so I won't beat a dead horse.

I would just like to address the pricing comments..

Shindo hand makes preamps starting at well less than $4k. The Aurieges-L represents an incredible 'bargain', if I may use that word, in the world of hand made audio equipment. There is much written by myself - and elsewhere - about what makes a Shindo a Shindo. Paired with a Montille or other quality amp, and you have an incredible music making system. Sure, the other products in the line-up are pricier. It's a full line up, soup to nuts.

A Vosne-Romanee isn't cheap but, nor is a Burmester(for example) $25k integrated amp. You could actually purchase a VR and Montille amp for about the same price. Shindo's Apetite integrated is less than 1/3 of that price. And it's a Shindo.

-M
Gee Matt, A VR with a Montelle? How many customers are running with that combo? A $19k preamp with a $5k amp?, yes it would work great and I know you should buy the best pre you can afford....but wouldnt you be better off with a mid level amp/pre combo.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Gee Matt, A VR with a Montelle? How many customers are running with that combo? A $19k preamp with a $5k amp?, yes it would work great and I know you should buy the best pre you can afford....but wouldnt you be better off with a mid level amp/pre combo.
Sure, why not?

Montille would be a great stepping stone to an amp up the line.

It was an example, and you can bet it would be superior to the $25k integrated I mentioned, for the same amount of money.
(Of course, if you only require 15wpc..)

-M
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Actually, I am currently running this very Shindo combination and really enjoy it. I have many other (non-Shindo) amps as well so I can shake things up based on my mood. When it comes to Shindo I'm definately in the "buy the best preamp you can afford" camp. Based on my experience my emotional connection with the music deepened tremendously as I went up the preamp line. I really like the Shindo amps as well but would have a hard time using just one amp full time. I have definate output tube preferences based on different musical genres.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius

Actually, I am currently running this very Shindo combination and really enjoy it. I have many other (non-Shindo) amps as well so I can shake things up based on my mood. When it comes to Shindo I'm definately in the "buy the best preamp you can afford" camp. Based on my experience my emotional connection with the music deepened tremendously as I went up the preamp line. I really like the Shindo amps as well but would have a hard time using just one amp full time. I have definate output tube preferences based on different musical genres.
Sibelius,

Really? Why do you have different tube preferences for the different genres of music? I'm seriously curious. I have had 3 main amps in my hifi adventure. The first was a class d, wyred4sound 1Kw, then a pass labs xa 30.5, and most currently, a Sophia electric 300B set up. I found my interest in the music increased with each, and that the first 2 did not play well with my zu essence speakers. The sound was nice in a clinical way. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying my 300B's, and I'm told that moving to a new speaker will really open things up. Hence my recent purchase of the DeVore Orangutans. My next move will likely be to move up from my leben r100u to the masseto. But, I digress. My original, and sincere, question was to understand why you use the different amps. And if you don't mind sharing, what genre do you use them with? Fwiw, I may not part with my 300B set, even if I go the Shindo amp route. But, may, in fact, use that to compliment the whole set up like it sounds you have by using multiple amps depending on the genre. In any event, thanks for any input you share.

Respectfully,

Jonathan

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Sibelius,

Really? Why do you have different tube preferences for the different genres of music? I'm seriously curious. I have had 3 main amps in my hifi adventure. The first was a class d, wyred4sound 1Kw, then a pass labs xa 30.5, and most currently, a Sophia electric 300B set up. I found my interest in the music increased with each, and that the first 2 did not play well with my zu essence speakers. The sound was nice in a clinical way. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying my 300B's, and I'm told that moving to a new speaker will really open things up. Hence my recent purchase of the DeVore Orangutans. My next move will likely be to move up from my leben r100u to the masseto. But, I digress. My original, and sincere, question was to understand why you use the different amps. And if you don't mind sharing, what genre do you use them with? Fwiw, I may not part with my 300B set, even if I go the Shindo amp route. But, may, in fact, use that to compliment the whole set up like it sounds you have by using multiple amps depending on the genre. In any event, thanks for any input you share.

Respectfully,

Jonathan

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
It's strictly personal preference and it can and does change over time. I listen to music that ranges from intimate vocals to large symphonic works (Mahler, Bruckner, Shostakovich). I have always loved the 45 SET tube for small scale vocals. It has a spooky presence that I have not found with any other tube.

For Jazz I find myself using the Montille a lot. I just like the way it swings. The 2A3 SET also is very nice with Jazz

For smaller scale orchestra or chamber work with emphasis on strings I love the warm, burnished tone of the 300B.

For Rock and larger symphonic works I generally prefer the GM70 or Atma-sphere OTL. The GM-70 has good bass, great presence and a huge soundstage. The OTL is wonderfully liquid, neutral yet also incredibly detailed. Both provide the extra power I find I desire for wide dynamics.

My speakers are 97db and are an easy load at 16-ohms.

I'm of the opinion there is no "best" amp. There are a huge variety of wonderful sounding output tubes and I personally would be bored using just one day in and day out. I find half of the fun in this hobby is experiencing a variety of different sounds. My way of achieving this is via owning many amps. My $.02. Everyone is different and there are many paths to audio bliss.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion

Last edited by sibelius; 10-31-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Sibelius, I fully agree with your point that the Montille is wonderful with Jazz. Although Jazz records represent only about 1/3 of my collection, I would say I listen to Jazz 90% of the time on my Montille/Aurieges rig. I've often wondered if Shindo San uses Jazz to voice the Montille because it just sounds so right! Horns (sax and trumpet) have a wonderful tonality and texture, and the rhythm section (bass and drums) just have great swing and pacing.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
I really need to hear Shindo products for myself......overheard a convo in an audio shop the other day and the jist of it was that altough Shindo is built decent and looks good......its "Sound"is old&dated and extreamly overrated.......it reminded me what some people say about Mcintosh LOL .....but you know what they say about opinions.......everyone has one............but i so want to hear this brand for myself...
Very nice if you can investigate further what the fuss is all about Shindo, perhaps need to listen to the well setup one from the people who know about the Shindo philosophy.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Just a heads-up that I will be lowering the prices on Audiogon this weekend to $16,500 on the Shindo 301 and $11,000 on the Shindo Sinhonias.
Remarkable amount of tire-kickers out there!