AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Sorry guys I was referencing this post for a second symphony to look into on cd.
I didn't check, but believe that post was in response to a request for a M 2nd on vinyl.

But yes, I'm pretty sure all those above can be had on CD and each is a notable classic performance. Once in the digital realm more become available. (Minty Mahler LPs are not falling out of trees.) I don't think its too soon to include the Channel Classics Fischer SACD as another notable performance (w/ five star sonics to boot.)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
As with all things Mahler each of these will yield a range of opinions. From my perspective each is one of the great 2nds. I don't have enough experience to give suggestions on pressings. Invariably the Resurrection Symphony is a 2 LP release.

==> Note to lurkers who don't do vinyl - all performances mentioned are available on CD, etc.

Mahler's 2nd was a signature piece for Otto Klemperer. His 1963 recording from EMI/Angel made in Kingsway Hall London with the Philharmonia Orchestra features Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossl-Majdan and continues since that day as a thriller. My copy is from Pathe Marconi (French EMI). 2C181-00570/1

"This is an essential recording for any collection: the greatest interpretation of Mahler's Second ever placed before the public, made under ideal studio conditions ...." Review.

The Klemperer is more frequently found with a cover similar to this below. The branding across the top may be Columbia or Angel - 2 albums. I've seen the packaging with two separate covers or as one. COLUMBIA SAX 2473 2474, ANGEL 3634. There is also an EMI UK release as a box with a picture of Klemperer smoking a cigar on the cover. ASD 2691-92 or SLS-806.

Then there is Bruno Walter on Columbia with the New York Philharmonic. I find this an extraordinarily power-filled/gripping/compelling performance and it could be my regular favorite but for the typically crackly vinyl that seems more the rule than the exception for Columbia classical issuances. (Their jazz always seemed to fair better - don't know why.) For optimal sound it really should be played using the Columbia playback curve. M2S 601 (stereo) M2L 256 (mono 6 eye). Truly an unforgettable performance from a man who knew GM personally.

Up next is Sir George Solti with the London Symphony featuring Heather Harper and Helen Watts - likewise recorded in Kingsway Hall in 1966. This is still available as a re-issue. I see it at Music Direct. Probably the best chance for a clean new record. Another strong performance.
DECCA SXL 6113

Lastly is Leonard Bernstein. I don't have this on LP, but have it on CD (Sony) as a part of a box set. But it is out there on LP and I know it is a performance worth hearing. The Bernstein Mahler cycle mentioned somewhere above is definitely one to consider owning. The Columbia performance with the New York Philharmonic is the one to have, yet again here its Columbia vinyl so caveat auditor. An intense, personal performance - one of the greats. M2L-295 (mono) M2S 695 (stereo)

I don't know where this cover is release-wise, but it's colorful, almost Dali-esque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Sorry guys I was referencing this post for a second symphony to look into on cd.
I have all these(except the Solti) on vinyl which I no longer play. So, if anyone is looking for them, let me know.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have all these(except the Solti) on vinyl which I no longer play. So, if anyone is looking for them, let me know.
Bernstein - email sent to yr umc address.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Kal,

Still have your Otto Klemperer Mahler 2? Is it Angel or EMI? I'm interested in the latter. You have PM disabled so I don't know where to reach you otherwise.

Dean
Old 10-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Mahler Symphony no. 5 in C sharp minor

For Mahler fans of Iván Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, the Channel Classic release of their Mahler 5th Symphony recording has arrived! Available as FLAC & DFF downloads along with SACD from the CC site.

Maybe his tux was at the cleaners on cover shoot day.

I've been inclined to Bernstein's Fifth with the Viennese band on DG (not the Philharmonic on Sony.) While I have the discs, haven't yet settled in for a session of the work with Maestro Abbado at the Lucerne Festival. (I'm reluctant to go at these on one of the TV systems - which is where the BD players are - until acquiring a proper player, but I may not be able to hold back too much longer after having 'viewed' the 1st (and that stunning Wang Prokofiev PC.) The Fischer 1st was competent but a wee bit of a let down.)

I await the latest here from CC. Pls post comments if you've heard it; I know Kal mentioned appreciation for the DSD SQ.

Last edited by tima; 01-08-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 AM

Finally!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
For Mahler fans of Iván Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, the Channel Classic release of their Mahler 5th Symphony recording has arrived! Available as FLAC & DFF downloads along with SACD from the CC site.

Maybe his tux was at the cleaners on cover shoot day.

I've been inclined to Bernstein's Fifth with the Viennese band on DG (not the Philharmonic on Sony.) While I have the discs, haven't yet settled in for a session of the work with Maestro Abbado at the Lucerne Festival. (I'm reluctant to go at these on one of the TV systems - which is where the BD players are - until acquiring a proper player, but I may not be able to hold back too much longer after having 'viewed' the 1st (and that stunning Wang Prokofiev PC.) The Fischer 1st was competent but a wee bit of a let down.)

I await the latest here from CC. Pls post comments if you've heard it; I know Kal mentioned appreciation for the DSD SQ.
Tim, I have it on pre-order.
If it sounds close to the live performance: !!

http://www.audioaficionado.org/class...-attend-9.html
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

I have enjoyed the Fischer/Budapest Mahler cycle. I will download this as soon as I get back from vacation.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default The trumpets of the Apocalypse ring out...

And now Linn Records - who has issued some really fine offerings over the last few years - comes out with a No. 2 featuring Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia Orchestra of London. As with Channel Classics, Linn sells direct with downloads in FLAC, ALAC, and disc SACD.

Zander the Gray now returns as Zander the White after approaching (but not arriving at) a full cycle with Telarc. That company is no longer what it was, so it's nice to see Linn pick up the ball, er, baton, establishing "a new partnership" with BZ. Perhaps that means 7 and 8 will be forthcoming.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:37 PM

Mahler with Solti (CSO/LPO), MTT/SFSO (except Sym. No 7), Mahler 2 & 3 with Levine/CSO (both RCA), some of the Jonathan Nott/Bamberger Symphoniker (Tudor SACD's).....these are most of my favorites

Cheers,