AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Default High end finish Stereo cabinetry?

Hi guys, I am finally getting around to planning a new home build. We've been in a condo for the last 20+ years working with the space we have... We listen to music everyday, much more than we watch TV, so plan to keep the 2-channel system in the living room, probably below a TV on the wall. It won't be a pure 100% audio room, so we'll have to work around those compromises.

Since we are building the house from scratch, we have some time to plan layout right. You can see attached the pic of our current AV furniture. The current gear is basically unchanged (missing from the photo is the K-03, Aurender and Rega TT), but this is what we cobbled together with a few hundred dollars of COSTCO furniture, glass added on top, and some creative cable management/false backs to hide the ugly birds nest. It's still a slightly visible mess in the 6 inches between the cabinet and the wall.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=matts+system

Looking for advice on how to do this 'right' in the new place, the objective is to make it look REALLY clean, be functional so components can be accessed and cleaned, and to hide the cables as much as possible. In a perfect world, we would only see a few power cords going in (assuming we do dedicated outlets) and 2 speaker wires coming out. Options so far:

1. Design custom built ins. I see this would make sense if we can design hidden access to the cables behind the wall. I think this would look super clean, but is more $involved$ and may not even be feasible based on the room layout. I don't know yet what the living room will be backing against and whether it will permit the cables to be accessed in a 'closet'.

2. A cabinet that can hold all the components. Can such a thing even be bought or would it have to be custom built? I want to ensure it can be rolled in and out for periodic access, would require a false back to hide the interconnects etc., needs adequate ventilation. etc.

Would be grateful for your ideas here on both approaches, pros and cons.

I stopped by a dealer today and saw the BDI stuff - it looks OK, but still would probably fall short of the cable management requirements, and probably size as well since the 501's are tall for example.

My preference is not to go custom and reinvent the wheel, but since this is by definition a visual focal point of our living room/great room, I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance for ideas and pictures.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lan; 01-16-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Built in cabinets if possible are a great way to hide most of the gear. This was my solution https://youtu.be/a3i_DETaCg0
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Built in cabinets if possible are a great way to hide most of the gear. This was my solution https://youtu.be/a3i_DETaCg0
Serge..Wow......your room and system is outrageous.

What speaker cables did you use?

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Serge..Wow......your room and system is outrageous.

What speaker cables did you use?
Transparent. Having gone from mild to obscenely wild (five digits price) for the 30 ft runs from the amps in the rack to the speakers as I moved "up the chain" of Transparent cables.

I am still using my first pair of the Transparent speaker cables to this day. For under $250 they are still the best bang for the buck. I have experimented with others recently and did not find any increase in performance that was worth the extra expense so left them in to stay for any foreseeable future. It's a different room and different system today than the older video I posted above

Last edited by PHC1; 01-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM

Very nicely done, Serge. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Very nicely done, Serge. Thanks for sharing.
I blame AA members for making fun of my amps sitting on the floor for years before that project.

In all seriousness it was a fun project with aesthetically pleasing results. The built in cabinets solved a major problem of what to do with the plethora of gear that was needed to support a full blown 7.1 theater/2ch high end listening room.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default High end finish Stereo cabinetry?

Built in cabinets have their ups and downs. Aesthetically it will blend in, and acoustically the gear is recessed. You want to consider the cable runs for equipment placement to keep power isolated from interconnects and speaker cables, it does make a lot of work and very time consuming at first pulling gear, but this goes quicker as you learn. And at least for me, I like to see my equipment from the sweet spot and the cabinets afford this. Power and interconnect cable is also less expensive. Treatment over the TV will need to be addressed at some point, but that can come later. Good luck!

Weird Cuba brings up an extremely valid point; Heat. If your building make the cabinets as big as possible. I put a fan system in with a thermostat for when it reaches 92 degrees the fans kick on low speed. The design I mention is for solid state amps.

Sent from my iPad using New Forum mobile app

Last edited by For The Love of Music; 01-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Serge - how do you access cables and back of equipment in your cabinet? Any problems with heat?

Sent from my iPhone using New Forum mobile app
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM

I had a custom built in made for my Mcintosh electronics and turntable, it you can find someone to do it go for it.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That was one of the best sounding rooms Serge